Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2013, 21:33   #106
BHPian

Re: Air France KLM ill-treats Indian passengers yet again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I am sure half the crowd inside that plane never understood a word of it! Ridiculous!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnrvokk View Post
As far as the security announcements in regional languages go, I don't think it is feasible
Instead of having the cabin crew 'dance' in a hurried manner, it would be better if one or two TV screens play a recorded version. Then 3 or 4 languages is possible. Have heard that some foreign airlines have video demos instead of live ones.
Old 26th November 2013, 22:16   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
Instead of having the cabin crew 'dance' in a hurried manner, it would be better if one or two TV screens play a recorded version. Then 3 or 4 languages is possible. Have heard that some foreign airlines have video demos instead of live ones.
Anything is possible but at what cost?

First, would you be willing to sit in the plane for longer than necessary to hear security announcements in more than 2 languages.

Second, when would these be played out to the passengers? It cannot be when the aircraft doors are open. That is too early since there is a possibility of last minute boarding who might miss the said announcements or there is distractions with passengers not staying in their seats or playing with their electronic toys. That is why most security announcements are made when the aircraft is ready to move from the gate or has started moving towards the runway.

Third, security announcements videos is a nice idea but who will bear the cost involved to make them, fit all aircrafts with video screens. It will not be the airlines. It will be trickled down to the paying passengers. Will you pay more for this every time you fly?

Fourth, comes the flight times question. Most Indian airports for domestic aircraft departures do not have queues with aircrafts waiting to take off. Most of the time, its a solitary aircraft speeding from the terminal to the runway and taking off. The aircraft cannot take off while these announcements are being made or played, meaning the aircraft will have to sit stationary either at terminal or in taxiways. So in these cases, the engines are to be running so who will bear the cost of the extra fuel. In these days of airlines charging for water and peanuts, this extra cost will not be borne by the airlines. Again, will you pay more for this, every time you fly?

Finally, to address the concern that there are people traveling in India who do not understand Hindi or English, all airlines are mandated to provide aircraft information card for every passenger and these are always written information accompanied by pictures. Like the saying, a picture is better than a thousand words!!
Old 26th November 2013, 22:18   #108
Senior - BHPian

Being a regular on KLM, I can state confidently state that their service levels have been very professional - not very personal but if you want personalised service you don't fly European airlines. Never had cause for complaint and the staff have always been very courteous and polite.

Going against popular sentiment, I would venture to state that a section of our people are generally guilty of bringing bad treatment down on themselves, and therefore all others from the subcontinent. Basic courtesy, politeness and order are not traits that are usually associated with at least a section of passengers from the subcontinent, and the reaction towards such behaviour tends to affect the rest of us as well. Sometimes you almost cringe when a large bunch of tourists from home boards one of the flights - there is always a lot of noise, bluster and a whole bunch of plastic bags arriving with such groups usually, often followed by people shouting across the aircraft to their family members or friends who are seated elsewhere. On one such flight I was witness to the chief purser rushing across through business class to angrily reprimand a passenger from our part of the world who was playing music on his phone - without headphones. Business travellers on the other hand are very unobtrusive.

Amongst airlines however found BA to be generally rather snooty towards anyone who isn't white, with Emirates very faithfully following them down the same route.

I suggest everyone flies Ryan Air at least once in their life - that is an example of how EVERYONE is treated like dirt irrespective of colour, race, nationality or religion.
Old 26th November 2013, 22:29   #109
Senior - BHPian

Yes they do treat them differently. It happened with my sister and her family along with their fellow passengers. The airline was Lufthansa from DEL to LHR onwards to the US. This was in early January some 4 odd years ago and for reasons that escape me at the moment the onward flight was cancelled. Options were given to people to fly to a different airport in the US and connect to flights to the original destination or take the next day's connection. My sibling opted to take the next day's flight as did some other passengers. Now from this lot the caucasians were quickly provided hotel vouchers and sent on their way & the P.O.I.s were asked to wait. Obviously, no consideration was given to the colour of passports but only to the skin colour as a good hour later the group (mix of Indian & US citizens) were told that they would have to make do by staying at the airport and would be provided meal vouchers etc etc. This resulted in the expected hue and cry and arguments but to no avail.

At that time my sister decided to take on the Germans but in their own language. Once it was made clear to them that their boorish behaviour would not be tolerated, the staffers were shocked at the cold Germanic tones from the young Indian lady. They did however recovered & the ensuing action resulted in hotel accommodations being provided to those whose passports allowed them to travel in to the city.

The only positive (if one could call it that) I saw in the whole episode was that the Germans were biased not only against the skin colour but also the English language. After all it was only when they were given a dressing down in their mother tongue that sanity prevailed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj1008 View Post
I am just curious to know if an Indian origin person holding a European or American passport was there and if treated shoddy as well?

Last edited by khoj : 26th November 2013 at 22:32.
Old 26th November 2013, 22:57   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post

Lots of airlines around the world have pre recorded safety videos playing on the aircrafts entertainment system, rather than having the cabin crew through the motions. Both for take off as well as landings, turbulence etc.

I have never seen it in more than two languages though. No matter where or whom I fly with. And even that might be a stretch for some.

Jeroen
Old 26th November 2013, 23:34   #111
BHPian

I have personally noted a very slight difference traveling with my Canadian passport compared to my previous Indian one. I had a lot of additional booklets on my Indian one so I don't know if that mattered.

Only difference I have noticed is boarding from Abu Dhabi for a connecting flight. The attitude changes a bit. Maybe it's my imagination.
Old 27th November 2013, 09:41   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As far as the security announcements in regional languages go, I don't think it is feasible to have flight attendants provide the same in 3 languages in the time it takes the aircraft to taxi from the gate to the runway since most of our airports aren't crowded not to mention the cost the airlines have to incur in training, scheduling right people based on destinations and having to print these out in numerous languages.

There is a reason these instructions come with pictures!!
Quote:

First, would you be willing to sit in the plane for longer than necessary to hear security announcements in more than 2 languages.

Finally, to address the concern that there are people traveling in India who do not understand Hindi or English, all airlines are mandated to provide aircraft information card for every passenger and these are always written information accompanied by pictures. Like the saying, a picture is better than a thousand words!!
I see! Then why not dispense with Hindi announcements in these regional destinations and do it in English and the regional language?

Better still, why not announce in English alone once and leave it? The Hindi crowd can also look at the pictures and understand it, can't they?
Old 28th November 2013, 03:20   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I see! Then why not dispense with Hindi announcements in these regional destinations and do it in English and the regional language?

Better still, why not announce in English alone once and leave it? The Hindi crowd can also look at the pictures and understand it, can't they?
Following your logic, why is there a need to even have announcements when the airlines can assume that everyone can just read the security pamphlet.

2 languages are acceptable since it will cover majority of the passengers on almost all flights. English being the international language and one local language. The local language is a no-brainer for most countries but with India, they have to pick one and they picked the national language.

Finally, its all about the money for the airlines and if they do not have to spend an extra Rupee, they will not.
Old 28th November 2013, 07:40   #114
Senior - BHPian

Sorry, Hindi is not the national language! It is a link language, like English! It is one of the 14 national languages.

Please get your history straight! There is a reason why the denomination in words is printed in all the fourteen languages on our currency notes!
Old 28th November 2013, 09:38   #115
Team-BHP Support

Closing the thread as the original discussion has concluded - Support Team
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks