Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2020, 21:24   #46
BHPian

Re: Has AR Rahman lost his Midas Touch?

An interview with his sound engineer Sridharji. Some of ARR's best compositions were recorded with him.

Old 7th July 2020, 09:14   #47
Senior - BHPian

Has AR Rahman lost his Midas Touch?

I think the music albums from AR Rahman have been very commercial off late, if you can call it that. All the albums of the recent Vijay films like Sarkar, Mersal have all played to the tastes of the masses. They have been massive hits, no doubt, but the question is, will they stand the test of time? Would you want to listen to some of these tracks 5 years down the line?

Some of my absolute favourites of AR Rahman have been in the late 90s and early 2000s, especially the melodies like Vellai pookal from Kannanthil Muthamittal and many such more. Even today I can listen to Pudhiya Mugam or even Tu bin Bataye from Rang de Basanti.

So my view is that AR Rahman has changed his style to the new Gen, who want to enjoy the songs now and not listen to it 10 years later. Also he has been working on more commercial cinema off late, which means he has to cater to that segment.

In any case, I think he has given us enough to listen for a life time, so im not complaining!
motorworks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th July 2020, 12:48   #48
BHPian

In an interview with Radio Mirchi, when AR Rahman was asked why he doesn't compose more music for Bollywood movies

Quote:
he said that some people in Bollywood have been spreading "false rumours" about him. "See, I don't say no to good movies, but I think there is a gang, which, due to misunderstandings, is spreading some false rumours,"

"People are expecting me to do stuff, but there is another gang of people preventing that from happening. It is fine because I believe in destiny. I believe that everything comes from God. So, I am taking my own movies and doing my other stuff.
Read more here
Thermodynamics is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 19:41   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Celebration of a Genius- A R Rahman

The passing away of many incredible talents like Irfaan Khan, Rishi Kapoor early this year and more recently the legendary SP Balasubramanium kind of rekindled a thought. We never celebrate the geniuses enough in this country when they are alive.

The kind of nostalgia and love that the thread about SPB generated after his demise in this wonderful forum made me realise one thing- legends should be celebrated when they are alive. What about celebrating the genius of AR Rahman in this wonderful forum or for that matter even a great like Gulzaar but that would perhaps be for another day since many from the millennial generation would be hard pressed to know about his genius. Today I think we can celebrate the genius of AR Rahman while he is between us as a living legend.

Has AR Rahman lost his Midas Touch?-e49472ff772d42b7bb7f0508bfbcea26.jpeg

AR Rahman has given us innumerable melodies in many languages but here I am listing some of my favourites in Hindi in no particular order. Of course, his original compositions are often carried over in many languages. Members can list their favourites here. Let’s celebrate the musical genius of the Mozart of Madras.

Ye Haseen Wadiyaan-Roja

Nahin Saamne- Taal

Ye jo desh hai mera- Swades

Khawaja mere khawaja- Jodha Akbar

Kun Faya Kun- Rockstar

Kahin toh hogi woh

Rubaroo- Rang De Basanti

These are some of my personal favourites. Please feel free to add to the list and let’s pay tribute to the man who is one of the greatest musical genius amongst us today.

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 27th September 2020 at 19:43.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 23:12   #50
BHPian

Re: Celebration of a Genius- A R Rahman

Maahi Ve - Highway
Shrayus_shirali is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 23:39   #51
BHPian

Coming from the South, we believe, if Ilayaraja touches your heart, Rahman boggles your mind. If you love either of them, you have to get deep into their Tamil music, a magical world in itself.

I still remember the first time I listened to Satrangi Re(En uyire in Tamil) from Dil se, I just couldn't comprehend what I listened to, I was wondering if it is a song and how could be a song be like this, weeks passed, and then I listen to it again, to be blown away - 7 stages of Love from the genius of Mani Ratnam, Vairamuthu, SRK and Rahman will remain etched in time as a cult classic.

What can I say about Dil Se Re and Ae ajnabi, the orchestration, the arrangements, the interludes, the energy, the singing, can leave you spellbound for days together. Specially, check out the interludes in both these songs in a good sound system, nothing, absolutely nothing could be more magical than them, you will find the genius of Sivamani as well. Bombay, Taal, Lagaan, Saathiya(Alaipayuthey), Jodha Akhbar, etc. all reek class and unimaginable imagination.

Of his recent magnum opus, Saddahaq from Rockstar is sheer magic, the energy, the mind-boggling arrangements, and the impact it leaves on you is pure Rahman stamp, no other music director can even come remotely close to create such an impact.

And if I get into his tamil music, I will never be able to come back.

As you said, it is important we celebrate these geniuses while they live, what they have done and their impact on people is indescribable.

Last edited by CliffHanger : 28th September 2020 at 00:05.
CliffHanger is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 01:27   #52
BHPian

Thiruda Thiruda and Dil Se are the albums I keep going to again and again.

Every song in Thiruda Thiruda makes my top 100 with atleast 2 ( Veerapandi and Rasathi) in the top 10.

While Roja and Bombay had their Hindi versions and Rangeela had some really good songs, it was Dil Se that made start listening to Bollywood music. I still hardly listen to non ARR Hindi songs and even amongst his albums while Rockstar comes close ( especially Nadaan Parindey) nothing has surpassed Dil Se yet. If I had to pick the one song I would never get tired of it will be Dil Se Re.
anandhsub is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 02:43   #53
Senior - BHPian

Any Discussion of AR Rahman with youtube videos is incomplete without Mastering project's Youtube playlist. Listen on your best pair of speakers/headphones.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...unufhSH2JTOqpf

Last edited by greenhorn : 28th September 2020 at 02:44.
greenhorn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 04:22   #54
BHPian

The only two Hindi music directors I admire are RD Burman and AR Rahman. These two are born geniuses. Music is all about rhythm and these two nail it in every genre they try. My friends from South might not be familiar with Burman, but he used to make background music unconventional objects like say a COMB or even made someone gargle in a rhythm (Satte Pe Saata - you can google it!)

But, unfortunately just like Cars, I believe even music and movies have taken a dip in terms of quality. Everything from Movies, Music to Cars are under bean counters now and things are only profit oriented. Everything reached its pinnacle till 2010 and has been falling since then, not Rahman though. But this generation is all about remixes etc. The worst part is that people are appreciating them.

Anyways, here are some great ones by the Maestro.

Dichotomy Of Fame - Rockstar
FAVOURITE DURATION - 1:40

Well, this particular painful theme of Rockstar is the closest theme to my heart. Every time I listen to it, it sends shivers down my spine. It takes me to some memories from 2011 that I repent and relish at the same time.

Tu Bin Bataye - Rang De Basanti
FAVOURITE DURATION - 5:00

RDB is my favourite Hindi film because it made me realise to be responsible for our country and to serve the people. Here I am, a doctor today.
I love the scales and the rhythm at 5:00. It’s so deep, you should listen to it.

Kya Karein Kya Na Karein - Rangeela
FAVOURITE DURATION - 2:41

I guess Rangeela made A.R. Rahman famous overnight in Bollywood. Asha Bhosle and Aamir admitted on not liking Rangeela’s music during the filming and later they excepted how wrong they were. This is a very underrated and forgotten song, but the beats are simply amazing. You need a good set of speakers and a good taste in music to appreciate this one.

Tanha Tanha - Rangeela
FAVOURITE DURATION - 4:46

I love how the flute compliments the music and Asha Bhosle’s voice is beautiful beyond description. Her career got a boost because of Rangeela’s music and I believe she deserved it.

Last edited by dr.aviansh : 28th September 2020 at 04:31.
dr.aviansh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 09:28   #55
KPR
BANNED

One of the hits of Rahman that I'm very much attracted to in recent times is "Naan Varuven" from Raavan movie. When I heard Dil Bechara for the first few times I was like what's there in it. Now I can say that it's one of the best album of ARR where all songs are quite unique. His compositions are slow poison for good.
KPR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 16:20   #56
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.aviansh View Post
Kya Karein Kya Na Karein - Rangeela

Tanha Tanha - Rangeela
Thanks for this. I had almost forgotten about Rangeela and this movie also had some great music.
Old 30th July 2021, 20:14   #57
BHPian

Guys, watch MiMi in Netflix. ARR has highlighted the film with his awesome Background Score which is already well directed and has a nice screenplay. Songs are very soulful.

For the trained ears you will have a hint of Sooha Saaha song from Highway

Last edited by saisree : 30th July 2021 at 20:16.
Old 31st July 2021, 02:11   #58
Senior - BHPian

This song is from A R rahman's Indie music label 'Maaja' .Even though it was composed by talented music composer Santosh Narayanan , Rahman had to have been involved in some way.

This song has crossed 300 million views on youtube in five months since release, hit the Times Square Billboard charts and has captured the hearts of people worldwide. Maybe A R is going back to his roots and discarding the fluffy remake medleys of popular indian cinema music. Good for fans like me.

nickatnite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2021, 08:17   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
This song is from A R rahman's Indie music label 'Maaja' .Even though it was composed by talented music composer Santosh Narayanan , Rahman had to have been involved in some way.
ARR’s involvement is only at the Music label Maaja. This platform is to support individual artists. The challenge will be that they have to satisfy ARR with the quality.
Old 8th November 2021, 13:02   #60
Senior - BHPian

I remember ARR saying in an interview that he wanted to experiment and do something new, after about 15 years of being a composer for movies. He felt that his music was getting repetitive.

When Roja came, it shocked people (in a pleasant way) because it was different from what was done till then.
His music after his Oscars has been different from his own prior work.

Has ARR lost his touch? To decide:
[1] Give some time and listen with an open mind to his new offerings. Some might "grow on you" like his prior hits.
[2] Do consider his releases in Tamil as well. Not fair to decide based on his Hindi output alone.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks