Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2013, 15:49   #1
BHPian

Weddings: How much would you spend on one?

As the wedding season is on, out of curiosity I would love to know how much a person is willing to spend on their or their children's wedding and what makes them spend the money. I have seen people spend from 3-4 lacs to crores on a wedding party this season. So just got curious.
Old 29th December 2013, 19:54   #2
mvp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V12Doc View Post
As the wedding season is on, out of curiosity I would love to know how much a person is willing to spend on their or their children's wedding and what makes them spend the money. I have seen people spend from 3-4 lacs to crores on a wedding party this season. So just got curious.

I would opt for a simple and elegant party minus any glamour. I consider excessive spending as extravagant, although considering that this is an important event in a person's life.
Old 29th December 2013, 22:18   #3
BHPian

re: Weddings: How much would you spend on one?

My personal opinion is that marriage is not the most important event in your life and I am against spending a lot in marriage. There are more important events in your life after your marriage and the money thus saved can be used in such events. Birth of your children, their education, etc etc.

Instead the money saved should be used to build assets and improve your lifestyle.
Now it all depends upon how much money one has in his kitty. A guy who has 10 supercars in his garage might not think the same like me!
Old 29th December 2013, 22:38   #4
BHPian

I would like to make the occasion memorable and yes it is not money that makes things memorable. I would spend rationally without going overboard. Some overspending in the range of 5% to 10% of the planned budget will be ok with me. Over and above this amount, I will find myself sitting with a calculator in hand.
Old 30th December 2013, 10:11   #5
BHPian

I think OP wanted to know the amount of moolah anybody would be ready to spend on his/her marriage.
I personally think that the spending lacs / crores on marriage is stupidity.As alerady said above rather invest that money for your and your children's future.But again amount spent on marriage would depend on the the financial background of the person getting married.
Whenever I will get married I would go for a simple court marriage followed by a small party for my close family n friends.
Old 30th December 2013, 11:27   #6
BHPian

It all depends on person to person and place to place. Marriage is certainly a memorable event of ones life, but I don't want to remember as the day that made me bankrupt.

I would go for a simple wedding, gave a small portion of money to charity and use the rest to go for a 2 week vacation out of India.
Old 30th December 2013, 11:30   #7
BHPian

Interesting topic.

A guy who is already married might have a different take on this

I absolutely agree with a simple marriage but you have to remember that it's not just a big occasion for you but your parents as well. And they need to be happy with whatever you do. I believe this is a very crucial juncture of your life and you need to keep your parents involved & happy in this, they should be happy with your choice. In case of any doubt - parents are correct here.
Old 30th December 2013, 11:37   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_purohit20 View Post
Now it all depends upon how much money one has in his kitty. A guy who has 10 supercars in his garage might not think the same like me!
I love that the unit of measurement you used is in terms of supercars.Thats what Team BHp is about.I used to think I was the only one who did that.

Old 30th December 2013, 11:38   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

I have always been against spending a lot for a marriage ceremony. I substantiated this thought during my marriage last year. I would anyday prefer to spend this money on vacations, upgrading our lifestyle, educating my children (later in life), and buying stuff for me & my wife. That was my take.

However, my sister had her own take on it and she wanted her marriage to be lavish. I can say that both mine & my sister's views were taken care of by parents during our respective marriages.
Old 30th December 2013, 11:43   #10
Senior - BHPian

What is the usual expenditure like in terms of Lakhs ?
Bride's shopping - 2 Lakhs
Bridgegrooms Shopping - 1.5 Lakhs
Family Shopping: 1.5 Lakhs.
Venue: 1 Lakh
Catering: 1 Lakh
Miscellaneous : 1 Lakh

Is 8 Lakhs a decent budget ?
Old 30th December 2013, 12:34   #11
Senior - BHPian

I contributed about 75K from my side, and my (now) wife contributed 75K.
That was the total spending of everything. (about 4 years back)

There is seriously and absolutely no point in spending high for an event which leads to much greater (recurring) expenses later in life ;-)
Old 30th December 2013, 12:51   #12
BHPian

There is not an answer that can satisfy all the people. It is up to the preferences of people involved. I'm not against lavish weddings as it creates employment for a large number of people (unless it is a loan defaulter blowing up money on daughter's wedding - http://www.moneylife.in/article/pram...ing/35570.html).
Old 30th December 2013, 14:15   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
What is the usual expenditure like in terms of Lakhs ?
Bride's shopping - 2 Lakhs
Bridgegrooms Shopping - 1.5 Lakhs
Family Shopping: 1.5 Lakhs.
Venue: 1 Lakh
Catering: 1 Lakh
Miscellaneous : 1 Lakh

Is 8 Lakhs a decent budget ?
That is way too simplistic. I think Catering depends on the number of people and the price per plate. I am not sure but usually Indian weddings have a lot of people (say minimum 300?). Per plate price depends - I have heard rates starting from 400 to as high as 2000.

Also there are plenty other costs - decoration costs, Transportion costs, Beauty Parlour costs, Wedding Card etc. I know you have a miscellaneous item but I think that should be a bigger amount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa_kiran View Post
There is not an answer that can satisfy all the people. It is up to the preferences of people involved. I'm not against lavish weddings as it creates employment for a large number of people (unless it is a loan defaulter blowing up money on daughter's wedding - http://www.moneylife.in/article/pram...ing/35570.html).
Damn! You just ruined my start of the week - 60 million Euros! That is

I appreciate the repsonses of everyone here but before posting can people please mentioned their status - Married/Single. I think before marriage many people think like this but as things stand, everything is decided by parents.

P.S. - I really appreciate people who prefer to have simple marriages. Just wanted to know how easy the court marriage process is and how much does it cost?

Last edited by Saanil : 30th December 2013 at 14:17.
Old 30th December 2013, 14:35   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post

That is way too simplistic. I think Catering depends on the number of people and the price per plate. I am not sure but usually Indian weddings have a lot of people (say minimum 300?). Per plate price depends - I have heard rates starting from 400 to as high as 2000.

Also there are plenty other costs - decoration costs, Transportion costs, Beauty Parlour costs, Wedding Card etc. I know you have a miscellaneous item but I think that should be a bigger amount.
Could you please revise the estimates as per your opinion ?

Last edited by F150 : 30th December 2013 at 14:40.
Old 30th December 2013, 15:04   #15
Senior - BHPian

When I got married in 2009, it was a simple wedding.

However, when you are getting married, you need to do a lot of things:
  1. In all liklihood, your bedroom has been a "boyz only" zone. You need to redo the bedroom (sometimes house); make space for her clothes, perhaps new wardrobes, new dressing tables. This can set you back by 50,000 to a lakh.
  2. Mangalsutra for Hindus - depending upon what budget you have and soaring gold prices, this would set you back by minimum 50,000. Plus, some earring and bangles, one is looking at a bill of INR 1.5 lakhs.
  3. Hall - Minimum 1 lakh (with our without catering)
  4. Clothes. This is the only place perhaps, one can save. I didnt buy a new suit for my wedding as I had bought one for my brother's who had gotten married just a 3 months prior to me. So, I used the same suit. I am happy with that decision as I really havent worn that suit after that. This will set you back by minimum 5,000 to 10,000 INR
  5. Sherwanis for the various functions - INR 3,000 to INR 10,000
  6. Transportation - INR 5,000 for the groom and another 5,000 for ferrying the relatives.
  7. Gifts/sarees for the bride's family - another 50,000
So, here we are looking a minimum total of INR 4,00,000. Repeat the same at the Bride's end and we are looking at a total of INR 8,00,000. Assuming that the marriage hall cost is shared or borne by only 1 of the parties, I think minimum cost would be 6 lakhs.

But guys, remember a few years down the line, you would also be required to buy your own house even if you are happy with your family. in literal sence, it is known as an investment ,but sometimes It is also called as "when will I have my own kitchen"? NR 35,00,000.

Thanks!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks