Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2014, 16:39   #1
BHPian

Aircraft lands on the highway in MP

Have seen this in a couple of Hollywood movies and now it happens in our little India

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/mp-cessna...571-3-236.html

Quote:
MP: Cessna plane makes emergency landing on NH 69 near Betul

Betul: Owing to heavy winds, a private Cessna plane was forced to land on the National highway 69 near Betul in Madhya Pradesh.
There has been no damage to life or property in the incident.
According to initial reports, the plane is owned by an industrialist from Betul.
One of the employers said, "The wind direction changed suddenly and the plane was unable to land on the airstrip. So we informed the police who cleared the highway. The plane circled the area until the highway was cleared and then the plane made an emergency landing."
Soon after the incident conspiracy theories have started doing the rounds as to why was the aircraft not landed on the airstrip which was in close vicinity. Locals are alleging that the industrialist owner has had some problems with the National Highway authorities.

Last edited by GTO : 1st January 2014 at 18:40. Reason: Embedding youtube video. Thanks!
DudeWithaFiat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2014, 19:48   #2
BHPian

Re: Aircraft lands on the highway in MP

This is a very rare instance, I feel that Directorate General of Civil Aviation should order an immediate inquiry on this incident. Some information is being concealed somewhere. Cessna is a six seater plane and I have travelled in one from New Delhi to Jaipur. It has two pilots and a crew member. The snacks are also served on board and unlike other planes this does not have a refrigerator, the snacks are kept in hot cases and are served there. Put it this way, imagine flying in an Innova, and serving snacks among ourselves.

If we go by the issues the owner had with the Highway Authorities, then the same cannot hold ground because the Air Traffic Controller would never allow landing on a highway. But, the wind theory is also full of doubts, how can a plane fly for half an hour in such a windy condition.

Moreover, what needs to be appreciated is the close coordination between the agencies, the condition of the highway which was found suitable for landing. Otherwise, the situation could have been worse.

Last edited by mints21 : 1st January 2014 at 19:49.
mints21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2014, 23:11   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Happens several times a year in the USA, for different reasons.

Not sure what they meant with the wind. Most likely the wind direction changed and you can only land with a certain amount of crosswind. Lots of winds straight across the runway is not a real problem, but lots of wind across could make it impossible to land. One of the reasons many airport have different angles at each other to allow for different wind direction and still have the plane landing into the wind as much as possible.
Landing on a motorway with a little plane isn't really not much different then landing on a runway. Although you would not have any visual indication and or runway signs obviously. The most important part is ensuring the motorway is really free of anything. Not just traffic but also trees, hedges poles on which the wings might snag.

Jeroen
Old 2nd January 2014, 00:50   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mints21 View Post
Cessna is a six seater plane and I have travelled in one from New Delhi to Jaipur. It has two pilots and a crew member.
That's like saying that TATA is a 5 passenger motor vehicle, and not remembering that TATA makes buses as well as the Nano!

Please google Cessna 152 and 172. Thats the plane in the news today.

Also google the Cessna Citation, which is the one you most likely flew in.
Old 2nd January 2014, 09:37   #5
BHPian

Quote:
While the industrialist — whose Indian private pilot licence (PPL) lapsed way back in 2001 — claims he wasn't flying on Tuesday, it has now emerged that he allegedly did that many times in the past. And that too without informing air traffic control! ....
...DGCA sources said Verma continued to fly despite that and they were forced to helplessly watch him flout the law because of his 'connections'. Giving an example of his 'clout', a source said: "Soni asked who would fly the plane for inspection. When he found that Verma — who did not have a valid Indian flying licence — would be doing the test flight, he refused to grant the same. Later Verma complained to aviation authorities in Delhi and the official was transferred," said a source.

Verma got a valid C of A for his plane. He added that the only issue relevant here was that high towers erected illegally close to his airstrip made the landing there difficult.

Meanwhile, state police and the district administration have initiated a probe to ascertain the reasons behind landing of Verma's plane on the highway in Betul.

"We are collecting information from intelligence bureau and civil aviation department. Legal action will be taken if valid documents are not found," Ajay Sharma, inspector general (Hoshangabad range), told TOI.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...w/28253401.cms
Old 2nd January 2014, 09:55   #6
Team-BHP Support

Yikes... this means driving without license is not restricted to roads.
Old 2nd January 2014, 10:21   #7
BHPian

Phew! That was close but all is well that ends well.

Kudos to NHAI / MP government for maintaining the road so well.

Just imagine a plane landing at Andheri Kurla road of 'Amchi Mumbai'. The city boasts of India's richest municipal corporation with annual maintenance budget of Rs. 22,000 Crore.

Old 2nd January 2014, 13:21   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

The plane in the video, VT-EUC is a Cessna 172. Remarkebly all sorts of descriptions are flying around the news sites as to what plane it is. Here it is reputed to be a Piper PA30, http://www.daijiworld.com/news/news_...sp?n_id=209972.

Some are also talking about VT-ERX, which is a two engine Piper PA31 Navajo, seen here: http://www.planespotters.net/Aviatio...php?tag=VT-ERX

But this is a four seater Cessna 172. Most pilots in the western world start out on this plane to get their PPL (private Pilot License) before moving on to bigger and or more complex planes. It's very easy to fly and very 'forgiving". The Cessna 150 is quite a bit smaller and only a two seater. I've flown extensively on both and obtained my PPL in the C150, before moving on to other planes.

The Cessna Citation as mentioned is a range of two jet engine planes on offer from Cessna.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2014, 14:21   #9
BANNED

Two points:

Kudos to Mr Chauhan for giving MP roads with can be used as emergency runways, and the administration for clearing the road of traffic. No wonder he gets reelected!!

What was the NHAI doing constructing 124m high towers (I never know these could be that high) in an airport zone where they should not have crossed 22m!!
Old 3rd January 2014, 10:04   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by john doe View Post
That's like saying that TATA is a 5 passenger motor vehicle, and not remembering that TATA makes buses as well as the Nano!

Please google Cessna 152 and 172. Thats the plane in the news today.

Also google the Cessna Citation, which is the one you most likely flew in.
Thanks John, You said it right, I flew in Cessna Citation. Your post brought all the memories back. Also, do agree that my statement was more general and not too specific and the reason could be limited exposure towards aviation industry. Just thought of posting my picture when I boarded it for the first time. Best Wishes
Aircraft lands on the highway in MP-club-one0001.jpg
Old 5th January 2014, 14:00   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

FYI,
Just happened in NewYork. Small plane, Piper 28 made an emergency landing on road.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/01/04/us...html?hpt=hp_t3

Jeroen
Old 13th January 2014, 08:54   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Keeps on happening:

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/01/12/us...html?hpt=hp_t3

This is a Boeing 737 carrying more than 100 passengers.

Quite remarkable. I've flown into both airports myself several times, as pilot in command. Dont quite understand how this could happen. But it does, on a fairly regular basis!

Jeroen
Old 13th January 2014, 10:47   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Keeps on happening:

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/01/12/us...html?hpt=hp_t3

This is a Boeing 737 carrying more than 100 passengers.

Quite remarkable. I've flown into both airports myself several times, as pilot in command. Dont quite understand how this could happen. But it does, on a fairly regular basis!

Jeroen
Hi Jeroen Sir,

I don't know whether its a coincidence or something, but surprisingly i have also flown to both the airports mentioned here. My cousin used to live in the nearby village of point lookout. He had a small plane, a Piper J-3 cub in yellow, bought used in which we often used to go sightseeing. Till 2009, we used the Graham Clark(Tanny county), someday ranch, and misty meadows for small trips. Springfield Branson was a bit too big for me, i was afraid mom would know that i had been doing this..When Branson came up, it was much bigger than the small 12/30 approach to Tanny county.

Well coming to the point, the two airports look a lot different from 500ft so as to be confused. And anyway, most civil aircraft fly IFR and not VFR, so there cannot be any possiblity of confusion or anything. God knows what happened.

Regards,
Misbah Ahmed
Old 13th January 2014, 15:24   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Will be interesting to read how they made this mistake. If you're flying on instruments it would be very odd to get it wrong. But even commercial airlines often fly visual approaches. But as you noticed, these airports and their surrounding terrain look very different from above and on the approach.

You just never know, the mind can play funny tricks. I remember once coming in to land at Johnson County executive airport I had a peculiar moment. At the time this had become my home airport and I must have landed there at least 15 times already. I was flying VFR, but at that time it was still a towered airport. So i was talking to the tower, flew the circuit and got cleared to land and was on final. I was looking out to the runway and airport surroundings and for some reason just did not recognize anything. Very odd. So rather then taking any chances I went for a go around. By the time I was climbing away I started recognizing everything again. It was an odd experience to say the least. If anything it does show that looks can be very deceptive.

When in doubt go around / go missed.

Jeroen
Old 14th January 2014, 08:48   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Some more information:

http://avherald.com/h?article=46e73995&opt=0

Jeroen

Most Viewed