Team-BHP - The Flight Simulation Thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   The Flight Simulation Thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/146509-flight-simulation-thread-2.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by searchingheaven (Post 3342941)
Well, i must say that you are a lucky guy since i did the same thing and it screwed my FSX installation. Then moved back to Win 7 x64 + old ATI Catalyst.

Not sure if I am lucky, but the driver update helped me getting the best out of FSX and other sims in terms of graphics and performance.

Used to get low FPS at max settings an slightly blurry skins, but now am getting good FPS and sharps looking skins and crisp models.
The Flight Simulation Thread-img00951.jpg
The Flight Simulation Thread-img00947.jpg

Great to see the details on the MiG 21s! The bottom one has the ensigns of No 7 Sqn- the Battlexe Sqn, a Sqn of which I have been a part of!

Quote:

Originally Posted by neel385 (Post 3343652)
Great to see the details on the MiG 21s! The bottom one has the ensigns of No 7 Sqn- the Battlexe Sqn, a Sqn of which I have been a part of!

There is a minor detail missing in the 7 Sqdn MiG-21MF skin. On the nose(port side) instead of the Battle Axes Logo, it should have "Shatrunjay" painted in Hindi, which I could not replicate on the skin because of in game limitations.This is based on the 7 Sqdn MiG-21M/MF pics in Pushpindar Singh's Battle Axes book.

Battle Axes through the years:
DeHavilland/HAL Vampire FB.52
The Flight Simulation Thread-vamp.jpg

Hawker Hunter F.Mk.56
The Flight Simulation Thread-hunty.jpg
The Flight Simulation Thread-img00932.jpg

MiG-21MF Fishbed-J
The Flight Simulation Thread-21mf.jpg

MiG-21M Fishbed-J(HAL built & R-11 engine equipped)
The Flight Simulation Thread-21m.jpg

Dassault Mirage 2000H
The Flight Simulation Thread-m2k.jpg
The Flight Simulation Thread-img00488.jpg

Quick stopover at Dubai for refuelling and then off to Frankfurt.

Nice thread! For many years I have been an avid flight SIM fan.
Although probably a little bit different from most. My interest is not so much the scenery and the planes, but more about how planes actually work and are being operated. So many years ago I settled on this software package from Aerowinx, PS1, http://aerowinx.com

It simulates only a 747-400, in different configurations, no scenery. It is really a very accurate system simulator that replicates the flight model and the interaction between the different system in a far more realistic way then Microsoft is capable off. You can hook it up to control FS, so you can have the scenery and outside views running on a separate PC.

The program is currently being completely re-written by its designer Hardy Heinlin and will be released, hopefully, some time this year. He's been at it for more then four years!

I was particular active in flight SIMming from late 90's until 2009. All the hours behind the PC's with this program gave me and friend the confidence of renting a proper Full Motion Simulator from Lufhthansa/Cargolux training school.

I wrote about our experience in another thread, see http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commer...review-11.html and scroll down a bit

I lived in the USA from 2009 to 2012 before moving to Delhi. I got my pilot's license whilst in the USA. As part of my training I actually spend quite a few hours on proper FAA certified simulators. Once I had my license that's when I started using MSFS. It was a very good training tool when flying to airports where I hadn't been before. Got a reasonable feel for the various procedures etc. Good way to prepare for a flight!

But other than the above I must admit I haven't done much flight SIM-ming since 2009. Hardy has been busy revamping his program and I'm anxiously awaiting that. I still check the PS forum everyday,

I've kept some of my 747 documentation up to date, just in case!

Are any of you guys real cockpit builders? This here is probably one of the most advanced home built flight SIM's, including motion platform. http://www.hyway.com.au/747/747.html

One of my friends here in India is building his own cockpit. He got hold of a real 747 cockpit and is hooking it up to endless computers, video projectors, and what have you. Ultimately, it will run on the Aerowinx PSX software.
Happen to visit him earlier this week. Here's me putting his SIM though it's paces!!

The outside looks very "white". That's because the whole front of the cockpit is surrounded by a wrap around screen on which the scenery and outside world will be projected. Unfortunately, that system wasn't up and running yet. So all the flying was strictly on instruments. Sort of IMC conditions, with no visibility at all. Good fun.

Jeroen

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeroen (Post 3358193)
Nice thread!
I lived in the USA from 2009 to 2012 before moving to Delhi. I got my pilot's license whilst in the USA. As part of my training I actually spend quite a
few hours on proper FAA certified simulators. Once I had my license that's when I started using MSFS. It was a very good training tool when flying to
airports where I hadn't been before. Got a reasonable feel for the various procedures etc. Good way to prepare for a flight! But other than the above I must admit I haven't done much flight SIM-ming since 2009. Hardy has been busy revamping his program and I'm anxiously awaiting that. I still check the PS forum everyday, Are any of you guys real cockpit builders? This here
is probably one of the most advanced home built
flight SIM's, including motion platform.

http://www.hyway.com.au/747/747.html

One of my friends here in India is building his own cockpit. He got hold of a real 747 cockpit and is hooking it up to endless computers, video projectors, and what have you. Ultimately, it will run on the Aerowinx PSX software.
Happen to visit him earlier this week. Here's me putting his SIM though it's paces!!

Hi Jeroen Sir,

Glad to know that even real pilots are using MSFS for some practice. As for me, i was not so interested in simming as much as in real world. My cousin brother and sister were both FAA material, getting their license from the states. I used to be in Springfield at that time, flying(as passenger) in the old Piper they owned and then graduating to the Skyhawk.

I myself planned to get my license from US, but things didn't work out that way and i had to return to India. Anyway, i enrolled in a DGCA one, and got my PPL in 2013. The experience wasn't good at all, but i was okay with since it wasn't a career choice for me.

I did not know that flight sims for home PC platform actually existed. My sis told me about them around 8 months ago and so i started my journey. Initially, the learning curve was steep since i wasn't used to mouse/KB based sims. We had proper simulators at my flying school and not MSFS. So I consulted some fellow BHPians who were used to sims. They suggested me a joystick and from then on, the fun started. Now am on the PMDG 747, trying to get the hang of it.

Anyways sir, i have a couple of questions to ask you:

1. Between Aerowinx and PMDG, which is more realistic in terms of simulation?. I mean the way the aircraft reacts to inputs. for eg. the brakes heat up on the PMDG, when on RTO or MAX, as it happens in real life.

2. I am actually interested in building a cockpit like your friend, although not that advanced. Is it even possible without having a real cockpit to work out with?

Quote:

Originally Posted by searchingheaven (Post 3358266)
H
1. Between Aerowinx and PMDG, which is more realistic in terms of simulation?. I mean the way the aircraft reacts to inputs. for eg. the brakes heat up on the PMDG, when on RTO or MAX, as it happens in real life.

2. I am actually interested in building a cockpit like your friend, although not that advanced. Is it even possible without having a real cockpit to work out with?

I'm familiar with PMDG, I have their 747 myself. The original PS1 is already more advanced and more accurate then PMDG. The new PSX will we way more advanced.

A huge limitation on all these MSFS add ons is that they all make use of the MicroSoft flight model. Everything from a Cessna C150 to a Boeing 747. And althought MS did a reasonable job of making the model flexible it never fits a particular individual plane fully for all it characteristic when it comes to the flight model. That can only be achieved by a dedicated model such as PS.

Also, the old PS had already more functionality then PMDG and the new PSX will be enhanced greatly. You will be able to pull individual circuit breakers and see what happens. Now that it way beyond anything on the market today. In fact, it is way beyond what pilots know and do. Other than checking that all CBs are in, pilots usually don't even look at the CBs. I'm not aware CBs even get mentioned in checklists or so. But it will be great fun and hugely interesting to see how all the electrical systems work at this level.

The PS package isn't available on the market anymore. You might find it on Ebay or so. When it was on the market it retailed at typically 6-7 times the price of MSFS. Some people bought it, expecting to find some super MSFS. Which it isn't. It's only a 747-400, with no scenery and no visuals. It is really an instrument simulator. A lot of those people were hugely disappointed or very frustrated, possibly both.

Without sitting down for many, many hours and studying Boeing manuals you will not even be able to get this thing going. Unless you know how to fire up a 747, you will not get it going. It is exactly as the real thing. The first few times I tried to use it, it was very frustrating. At the time I was used to MSFS as well. It was only when I happened to be ill of work for nearly two weeks I had enough time on my hands to put enough dedication into it to get going. Very steep learning curve, but I've been hooked ever since. In those days, PS was also lacking a good manual, even though the manual it did come with, bewildered many MSFS pilots. So the PS community wrote a lot of documentation, manuals and procedures over the years which really helped.

Remains to be seen what the PSX manual will be like. But I think it too will be far superior to the original PS, from what I have seen and heard.

Many PS enthusiast use PS for the instruments/cockpit and use the 747 PMDG for the visual.

Cockpit built are done in endless variations. You could do it to suit your own, style, interest, space and budget.

Have a look at http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/forum.php

Just to wet your appetite, have a look at this event:

http://www.worldflight.com.au

Although I haven't participated myself, I usually follow it.
Once a year, several SIM teams the world over, fly around the world, 24/7 5-6 days. All on VATSIM for full ATC coverage!

I used to fly on VATSIM as well. In those days they used to organize some cool events now and then as well. I remember two of those. One was called across the pond. Simulation of flight from Europe to the USA with as many flights as possible. It got busier than on a real day on these routes! The other memorable events was where they invited everybody to fly into the same airport, say Frankfurt or Chicage and you got massive delays and endless holding patterns.

In Europe VATSIM used to have a number of real live ATC guys as members, very interesting to be stacked in a holding pattern 12 high with constant ATC chatter to bring you down onto the field eventually.

I'm sorry to hear your PPL experience wasn't that great. Learning to fly and flying as a private pilot should be fun. I know that the US is without a doubt the best place to do so. The whole system is extremely well set up, easy and cheap. And there are so many airports around, it is just unbelievable. And of course, GA is a huge industry. So all these airports tend to be well maintained with very good and helpful FBO's. Even if you're flying VFR you can get flight following from ATC. I don't think any other country offers that service.

Quite a few of the USA ATC controllers are also private pilots, so that must make a difference as well.

I did do a bit of real life flying in Europe. Hugely expensive! I learned to fly on a Cessna C150 and passed my check ride after 42 hours. All in all, cost me less than $7000,-. My wife's car, a four year old Ford Focus we bought second hand cost more.

The PS forum is very, very good. It is small community, but a lot of the members have been there for over a decade. I've established friendship with various members. In the Netherlands, in the USA and also my friend here in India. We knew each other only from the forum. When I moved to India he invited me over to come and see his SIM. And we've been meeting up regularly, going out for dinner, talking SiMs, cars, photography, the world in general.

Jeroen

Quote:

Originally Posted by searchingheaven (Post 3342072)
Some screenshots for you all to enjoy

This is incredible. I must confess, I have never played a Flight Simulation game except when I had a tiny Sony Ericsson K750i. But, these screenshots have really blown me away and I have to try this!!

I have Samsung i5 3rd Gen 4GB RAM + 2 GB NVidia graphics memory with 1600 x 900 Resolution screen and Win 7 Home Premium OS.

Can someone guide me on what all I need to to play it on my Laptop ? Which softwares and is there any hardware required like joystick.

Please pardon me for my basic questions.. but, as you can make out, I am absolutely an infant in this space!

Anyone in Bangalore tried visiting this place? Its probably the first of its kind in India:

www.flight4fantasy.com

Screenshots from my flights in Falcon 4.0 BMS 4.32
The Flight Simulation Thread-20140116_143616.jpg
The Flight Simulation Thread-20140127_112622.jpg
The Flight Simulation Thread-20140131_092406.jpg
The Flight Simulation Thread-20140131_092658.jpg
The Flight Simulation Thread-20140131_092810.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by skanchan95 (Post 3358494)
Anyone in Bangalore tried visiting this place? Its probably the first of its kind in India:

www.flight4fantasy.com

]

Never been there, but when I visit I will defintely look them up. They seem to have everyting on sales that most cockpit builders and flight SIM enthousiast require. Their SIMs are most likely based on MSFS with some nice additional models thrown in. If you get a chance, book yourself an hour or so. Great fun and very different from flying behind a PC>

If you ever find yourself at Amsterdam airport, try and visit this shop:

http://www.aviationmegastore.com/inf...7648212e3e52ee

What these guys dont offer for sales when it comes to aviation, be it models, flight SIM, books, poster, etc hasn't been invented yet!
Jeroen

Quote:

Originally Posted by skanchan95 (Post 3358494)

www.flight4fantasy.com

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeroen (Post 3358795)
Never been there, but when I visit I will defintely look them up. They seem to have everything on sales that most cockpit builders and flight SIM enthusiast require. Their SIMs are most likely based on MSFS with some nice additional models thrown in. If you get a chance, book yourself an hour or so.
Jeroen

Been there. Rs. 1800/HR. Its good, but they are based on X Plane 10 don't have motion and the instructor seems to think that he is a pilot. He gives me a hot cockpit and i ask him to shut everything down. He tells me that i won't be able toi start up the 747. I say, lets see. i switch on battery, APU, BUS TIE to auto, gen control to ON, Demand pumps OFF, gasper ON, TRIM AIR ON. etc. Switch off Autostart, Shut all fuel pumps. Configure crossfeed and then PULL the starter. lol:The dude instructing me is shocked. N1 reaches 14% and i set the FUEL CONTROL to run. The song of heaven starts and the engines spool.

Their collection of stuff is good though. Saitek X52 and the Warthog are available too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmplog (Post 3358474)
This is incredible. I must confess, I have never played a Flight Simulation game except when I had a tiny Sony Ericsson K750i. But, these screenshots have really blown me away and I have to try this!!

I have Samsung i5 3rd Gen 4GB RAM + 2 GB NVidia graphics memory with 1600 x 900 Resolution screen and Win 7 Home Premium OS.

Can someone guide me on what all I need to to play it on my Laptop ? Which softwares and is there any hardware required like joystick.

Please pardon me for my basic questions.. but, as you can make out, I am absolutely an infant in this space!

It will run easily on that config. Software:
Hardware: Microsft Flight Simulator

Any of the first 3 on this page.

Dear friends - do we have any simulators available on XBox?

If not then something for a Macbook Pro?

Thanks in advance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by searchingheaven (Post 3358954)
Been there. Rs. 1800/HR. Its good, but they are based on X Plane 10 don't have motion and the instructor seems to think that he is a pilot. He gives me a hot cockpit and i ask him to shut everything down. He tells me that i won't be able toi start up the 747. I say, lets see. i switch on battery, APU, BUS TIE to auto, gen control to ON, Demand pumps OFF, gasper ON, TRIM AIR ON. etc. Switch off Autostart, Shut all fuel pumps. Configure crossfeed and then PULL the starter. lol:The dude instructing me is shocked. N1 reaches 14% and i set the FUEL CONTROL to run. The song of heaven starts and the engines spool.

The look on that fellow's face must have been priceless:D.

I am told X-plane is more realistic in terms of simulating weather effects than MSFS. Flying in extremely turbulent weather is a challenging, unlike FS.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WanderNomad (Post 3359956)

Thanks in advance.

For Xbox, the flight games that I know of are:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ace_Combat
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Clancy's_H.A.W.X

However, I would not call them simulators because both the titles are arcadish and you have F-15s and Su-27s maneuvering like Tie Fighters in HAWX :D

Both these titles were developed for PC as well. I have both HAWX & HAWX 2 for PC,an I can say any hardcore flight simmer would easily get bored with them within 2-3 days. Great storyline though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WanderNomad (Post 3359956)

Thanks in advance.

The simulator package I mentioned PS1 from Aerowinx used to run perfectly on a Mac, using an emulator. Their new version, PSX, will run on both Windows and Mac. But as, said you will have to wait for it as it is not released yet. And you wont get scenery or visuals. just lots of instruments, switches etc

Jeroen

Excellent thread! I will post some screenshots of FSX once I reach home.

Has anyone tried the XPlane 10? How does it fare against FSX?