Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2014, 21:23   #1
BHPian

The Flight Simulation Thread

I was going through the Gaming thread and was surprised to see many Flight simulation fans on teambhp. But what i did not find was a dedicated thread on Flight Simulation. So i saw a need for a thread on what is probably the best hobby i ever came across. Flying on your home computer using flight simulation software is accessible, rewarding, great fun and can substantially improve your understanding of real-world aviation.

I was introduced to it by my sister in the last 6 months and i've never looked back. I am sure fellow members Parthasarthig & Skanchan95 will be active in this thread. It was because of them that i got interested in Flight Sims. They are much more experienced than me. This thread will attempt to clear any doubts/problems/issues that occurs during Flight simming.

Aim of this thread is to:
  • Provide a platform for starters to get immersed into FS.
  • Provide interaction between real world pilots and enthusiasts like us.
  • Fly on the IVAO & VATSIM network.
  • Discuss common problems & issues that crop up with FS software.
  • Start a virtual airline if possible.

I am using the Microsoft FSX with following config:
  • i7 6GB 320GB Radeon 6670
  • Logitech Extreme 3D Pro
  • FSX with Acceleration
  • Aerosoft Airbus A320/A321
  • PMDG 747 & 737
  • Cessna 172 Skyhawk A2A Trainer
  • Lockheed Martin F16 Aerosoft Version
  • Aerosoft FS Commander
  • International Virtual Aviation Organization Pilot Client
  • Squakbox for VATSIM
  • My IVAO ID: 449821
  • My VATSIM ID: 1279103
Old 11th January 2014, 21:40   #2
BHPian

re: The Flight Simulation Thread

Some screenshots for you all to enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails
The Flight Simulation Thread-1-1.jpg  

The Flight Simulation Thread-1-2.jpg  

The Flight Simulation Thread-1-3.jpg  

The Flight Simulation Thread-1-4.jpg  

The Flight Simulation Thread-1-5.jpg  

Old 11th January 2014, 21:51   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice initiative searchingheaven.

Even I am a aero fan and flight simulator lover. In fact I first played Microsoft flight Sim 2002 when I was 13 years old and have been hooked onto it!

Still have the same version. How much does the latest flight Sim from Microsoft cost?
Old 11th January 2014, 23:11   #4
BHPian

Hi sagar, good to know that your enthusiasm hasn't faded over such a long time.

Technically, Microsoft Flight is the latest version and it is core version is free to download. Anything else is payware. Although, Flight Simulator X is by far the best thing to come out of Microsoft yet. Add-ons have made this as close to the real thing as possible. And best of all, It costs Rs. 700 at Flipkart. The only problem with FSX is that it has a low FPS on less than awesome systems. Check out this video.
Old 12th January 2014, 00:11   #5
Senior - BHPian

Very nice. I am currently with FS9, complete with PMDG 737, 747s, CLS A340-500/600 and also Level-D 767. Also the newest addition is the TDS 787 Dreamliner. I have installed some airports as custom Mumbai scenery and UK Extreme Heathrow scenery as well. In-terms of AI traffic, I have been very happy with all the World-Of-AI packages as well as several military AI packs.

I play it on my laptop and thankfully, it works smoothly at medium settings in-terms of graphics and other things.

I do not have many screenshots like you do, but here is one after completing flight "AI130" from London - Heathrow and pulling into the gate at Mumbai International Airport.
The Flight Simulation Thread-1403073_10151997599670862_2003693442_o1.jpg
Old 12th January 2014, 00:50   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
I have installed some airports as custom Mumbai scenery and UK Extreme Heathrow scenery as well.

I do not have many screenshots like you do, but here is one after completing flight "AI130" from London - Heathrow and pulling into the gate at Mumbai International Airport.
Hi Stratos,

That looks awesome and more importantly, quite realistic. However, i would like to know a few things.

1. Where can i download the Mumbai scenery?
2. Is the extreme airport Heathrow Aerosoft one?
3. Also, is the IA repaint on a PMDG or is it the camsim one? I searched a lot for IA repaint livert for PMDG 747 and 737 but could not find any?
Old 12th January 2014, 10:46   #7
Senior - BHPian

Eventhough I am more interested in air comabt sosm liek Falcon 4 BMS, LOMAC, Strikr Fighters, I do fly FSX from time to time. One of my favorites FSX addons is Dino Cattaneo's F-14D.

Anyone running FSX on windows 8.1? Seems of you don't enable "Preview DirectX10" in the settings, it leads to FSX crashing on exit. IF you enable the above setting, most aircraft ported over from FS9 become textureless. However a/c made for FSX run fine without any issues.

Quote:
Also the newest addition is the TDS 787 Dreamliner.
Try TDS's new 737s for FS9. They look gorgeous. Can't wait for FSX models
http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/conten...7-800-Released
Old 12th January 2014, 11:12   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
Anyone running FSX on windows 8.1? Seems of you don't enable "Preview DirectX10" in the settings, it leads to FSX crashing on exit. IF you enable the above setting, most aircraft ported over from FS9 become textureless. However a/c made for FSX run fine without any issues.
FSX on Windows 8 or 8.1 is a failure. Too many problems, Crash to desktops, the infamous Kernel32.dll error etc. If anybody is serious with FSX(add ons, sceneries, FSCommander etc.), it is a better idea to stick with Windows 7.

BUT, if you have to keep Win 8 or 8.1, it would be great to read this article. This is the best i have come across which really details the FSX installation procedure.Link to FSX Bible
Old 12th January 2014, 11:42   #9
Senior - BHPian

Guys would it run okay on an ati raedon 4670 1gb
Old 12th January 2014, 15:35   #10
BHPian

Re: The Flight Simulation Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Guys would it run okay on an ati raedon 4670 1gb
Hi Extremetorque,

While the GPU is good enough, with FSX it is more of a processor + RAM thing since it utilizes more CPU than GPU. Could you post the rest of the specs please?

Regards,
Misbah
Old 12th January 2014, 16:25   #11
Senior - BHPian

^thanks! Its a p7300 Intel core 2 duo with 4gb ram
Old 12th January 2014, 17:31   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searchingheaven View Post
FSX on Windows 8 or 8.1 is a failure. Too many problems, Crash to desktops, the infamous Kernel32.dll error etc. If anybody is serious with FSX(add ons, sceneries, FSCommander etc.), it is a better idea to stick with Windows 7.

BUT, if you have to keep Win 8 or 8.1, it would be great to read this article. This is the best i have come across which really details the FSX installation procedure.Link to FSX Bible
I got a new laptop which had windows 8.0. FSX ran fine on it, but ever since upgrading to Windows 8.1, FSX started acting funny.

On the advice of someone at the forums, I upgraded my graphics driver to latest ones from AMD and voila, FS9 a/c have started to work again on FSX. Here's Captain sim's FS9 MiG-21UM running fine in FSX on my laptop :
The Flight Simulation Thread-clipboard01.jpg

Aerosim 787-8 AIC VT-ANC at RWY 06, IXE:
The Flight Simulation Thread-sa.jpg
The Flight Simulation Thread-clipboard02.jpg

Last edited by skanchan95 : 12th January 2014 at 17:42.
Old 12th January 2014, 22:30   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searchingheaven View Post
Hi Stratos,

1. Where can i download the Mumbai scenery?
2. Is the extreme airport Heathrow Aerosoft one?
3. Also, is the IA repaint on a PMDG or is it the camsim one? I searched a lot for IA repaint livert for PMDG 747 and 737 but could not find any?
Answer to 1: This scenery was downloaded from Avsim. It has some amazing details like proper gates and real AFCAD runway and taxiway settings. Also, there are nice vehicle lights coming in and going out of the terminal buildings at night . Although it is nicely detailed, its not heavy in-terms of system requirements. Try it out.

Answer to 2: UK 2000 scenery (.uk2000scenery.com)

Answer to 3: (I think you mean AI and not IA). I have tried my best to find the new Air India livery for the PMDG 747 but I only found the old one. For the 737, there is a AI Express livery since they exist in real life. But AI in general do not have any 737s. The Project OpenSky 777 and the TDS Boeing 787 Dreamliner however are in the new liveries.

Hope this helps.

Hope that helps
Old 13th January 2014, 11:53   #14
Senior - BHPian

Which simulator would one recommend for a Core I3, no external GPU/Video card sort of system?
Old 13th January 2014, 12:27   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
^thanks! Its a p7300 Intel core 2 duo with 4gb ram
At low settings, it will work at around 28-30 fps. Surely worth a try. Flipkart has FSX for around 10$.

Quote:
This scenery was downloaded from Avsim.

Answer to 2: UK 2000 scenery (.uk2000scenery.com)

Answer to 3: (I think you mean AI and not IA). I have tried my best to find the new Air India livery for the PMDG 747 but I only found the old one.
Thanks stratos for the reply. I will buy the VABB scenery and the UK2000 one when i save up some money.. BTW, can you provide me the link to the old one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Which simulator would one recommend for a Core I3, no external GPU/Video card sort of system?
Try out FSX itself since i had a core i3 2nd gen no GPU system in which it used to give playable framerates at medium settings. X-Plane is too costly and realistic to be experimented with.A lot depends on how you tweak the FSX.cfg file. There is a site Link to venetubo which will tweak the FSX.cfg file for you if you give it your correct config.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
I got a new laptop which had windows 8.0. FSX ran fine on it, but ever since upgrading to Windows 8.1, FSX started acting funny. On the advice of someone at the forums, I upgraded my graphics driver to latest ones from AMD and voila, FS9 a/c have started to work again on FSX.
Well, i must say that you are a lucky guy since i did the same thing and it screwed my FSX installation. Then moved back to Win 7 x64 + old ATI Catalyst.

Most Viewed