Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2020, 18:49   #151
Team-BHP Support

Re: The World War II: Movies, Books & Trivia

Here is a trivia you won't find in books or even Internet, until now that is. My mom who is 84 now, used to say that they were made to memorize war songs during WW-II. Songs cursing enemy, and songs inspiring the soldiers.

British officers of the education department used to visit schools and ask whether the kids have been taught war songs. What is really astonishing it that the British officers in education department learned Kannada so that they can communicate directly with students, albeit with an accent. Even the war songs were in Kannada.

Since my mom remembers every song she ever made to learn, I asked her to write down couple war songs she learned during world war II.

Here is the rough translation of the songs:

1) Cursing the enemies and praising the country (Great Britain, not India)

Let Nazi world be destroyed
Let the Japan standards break
Slice and Dice the German folks
Hail Britain, the mother of English
Mother... mother... Britain mother...
Bright as the sun is this mother...
The undefeatable independent mother...
Hail Britain, the mother of English

2) Inspiring the soldiers and citizens

Step step forward,
Sing the happy song,
Life is for the country,
Give it to the country,
Burma rice won't come
What we have is not enough
Watching over the birthplace
Is our task now.

Here is the original Kannada version penned by my mother.
The World War II: Movies, Books & Trivia-yuddageete.jpg

Last edited by Samurai : 22nd August 2020 at 23:05.
Samurai is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 24th August 2020, 22:12   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
If anyone remembers commando comics they’ve been around for decades and are surprisingly enough still around. Two reprints of old issues and two new ones, twice a month.

You can buy a digital subscription and access to some few hundreds of their old collection at https://www.commandocomics.com/digital-subscription/

There is even an fb group that has many of the artists and storyboard people, as well as current and former commando editorial staff besides a bunch of fans. Good fun.
Now that is sheer nostalgia. We used to buy them for Rs 2 and exchange with friends just like the Indrajal comics. I would say, that was my first exposure to WW2 details and battles.
Old 24th August 2020, 22:19   #153
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
Now that is sheer nostalgia. We used to buy them for Rs 2 and exchange with friends just like the Indrajal comics. I would say, that was my first exposure to WW2 details and battles.
Ditto!
I used to yearn for the ones with ariel combat. The spitfire, hurricane, p51, mustangs, the mosquito, and of course the stuka!
Old 24th August 2020, 23:01   #154
BHPian

I would like to add the following names to the movies based on the world war:
1) The Bridge on River Kawai
2) Twelve 0 clock High
3)Mr Murphy's War
4) The lifeboat
5 ) Dunkirk

All of the above are excellent movies in their own right.
Old 25th August 2020, 14:56   #155
BHPian

Chanced upon this book. Off my usual beaten path for reading but can recommend it. Turned out to be an interesting read

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...e-nazi-hunters
Old 26th August 2020, 22:36   #156
BHPian

Quote:

I am also looking forward to Greyhound (starring Tom Hanks) to be release on Apple TV this month. The trailer is amazing.
...and it's an amazing movie. You can't go wrong with Tom Hanks. Period. The premise is straightforward and there is no plot as such. But the whole response and anticipation aspect of such a convoy is amazing. There aren't a lot of movies on the merchant marine convoys and risks they faced during WW2.

On a side note, the crews of the cargo ships were not navy, not the ships enable to defend itself and hence easy targets for the wolf-packs. Those were pure volunteers. Very patriotic!
Old 22nd October 2020, 12:49   #157
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Here is a trivia you won't find in books or even Internet, until now that is. My mom who is 84 now, used to say that they were made to memorize war songs during WW-II. Songs cursing enemy, and songs inspiring the soldiers.
Wow! That's amazing. The closest you can get to touch the pre independence era. Please convey my warmest regards to your mom. Would be quite an enriching experience to meet her.

World War is quite an engaging story in itself. The stories of Holocaust and Nanking rapes are horrifying. However, I also believe that there will be many more gory incidents in other corners too, that have been committed by the Allies. Since "History is written by the Victor", we may not come to know of it all.

A few movies/ series that had me gripped (not including the few obvious Schindler's List, Dunkirk, Saving Private Ryan etc): -
1. Midway.
2. Enemy at the Gates.
3. 1917 (Based on WW I though).
4. Greatest Events of WW II in colour (on Netflix. Highly Recommended).
5. Bridge too far (This one features in everyone's list I guess).
6. Hacksaw Ridge.
7. Valkyrie.
8. Pearl Harbor.
9. Downfall.
10. Man in the High Castle (Series- Amazon Prime. Loosely based on WW II. Fiction, stitched together on the question: What if the Axis powers had won the war?).
11. Darkest Hour.
12. Inglorious Basterds.
13. Imitation Game.
14. The King's Choice

Last edited by dhanushmenon : 22nd October 2020 at 12:51. Reason: Added Ser 14
dhanushmenon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 14:06   #158
Senior - BHPian

My friend just got this old war comic - and I tweeted about it. Take a look at just how familiar it is - anyone over 40 here will surely have watched the movie at least a dozen times 20+ years back, and the chances are the theater they saw it in will have been demolished and turned into a mall by now.

For me, it was the Sangeet theater in Hyderabad, that suffered this fate in 2008.

https://twitter.com/iamabofh/status/1323887546678431744
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 09:10   #159
Distinguished - BHPian

Rommel on Amazon prime.
It's a German flick about him, starting from the allied invasion and ending with his death, with an inclination towards Valkyrie. Not high on production value, but mostly correct on the historical front. It's in German, and is quite engaging.
mayankk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 09:52   #160
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Rommel on Amazon prime.
It's a German flick about him, starting from the allied invasion and ending with his death, with an inclination towards Valkyrie. Not high on production value, but mostly correct on the historical front. It's in German, and is quite engaging.
Thank you. Adding this to my watchlist for the weekend.

I love to listen to documentaries/movies shot from the view of the other side. For example, the brilliant movie "Isoroku" (or "The Admiral") on the Japanese navel fleet commander Yamamoto Isoroku shows a view point from his eyes/thoughts.

Old 16th August 2021, 07:01   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Putting this here now because its finally officially announced - I'm a new commando author and my first title will be published in early Feb 2022.

https://twitter.com/CommandoComic/st...625208838?s=20
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 23:52   #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
Wow! That's amazing. The closest you can get to touch the pre independence era. Please convey my warmest regards to your mom. Would be quite an enriching experience to meet her.

World War is quite an engaging story in itself. The stories of Holocaust and Nanking rapes are horrifying. However, I also believe that there will be many more gory incidents in other corners too, that have been committed by the Allies. Since "History is written by the Victor", we may not come to know of it all.

A few movies/ series that had me gripped (not including the few obvious Schindler's List, Dunkirk, Saving Private Ryan etc): -
1. Midway.
2. Enemy at the Gates.
3. 1917 (Based on WW I though).
4. Greatest Events of WW II in colour (on Netflix. Highly Recommended).
5. Bridge too far (This one features in everyone's list I guess).
6. Hacksaw Ridge.
7. Valkyrie.
8. Pearl Harbor.
9. Downfall.
10. Man in the High Castle (Series- Amazon Prime. Loosely based on WW II. Fiction, stitched together on the question: What if the Axis powers had won the war?).
11. Darkest Hour.
12. Inglorious Basterds.
13. Imitation Game.
14. The King's Choice
Ah! Someone who gets my picks.. well some of them.

High Castle was rather special. Intriguing, Gripping, a very unique narrative. Amazing writing.

Ingloroious was twisted gritty dark funny

Imitation Game - Loved it.

Wish it was more of a TV series.. especially around the whole CODE & INFORMATION warfare over the time and events.

Classic faves..

Guns of Navarone.
Force 10 from Navarone.

Great Escape.

Escape from Sobibour.

Not sure if "Life is Beautiful" qualifies as it was amazing, but more on the Holocaust experience painted from a very different perspective.
crashnburn_in is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 09:20   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
If anyone remembers commando comics they’ve been around for decades and are surprisingly enough still around. Two reprints of old issues and two new ones, twice a month.
You can buy a digital subscription and access to some few hundreds of their old collection at https://www.commandocomics.com/digital-subscription/
There is even an fb group that has many of the artists and storyboard people, as well as current and former commando editorial staff besides a bunch of fans. Good fun.
Thanks hserus.

I will take this cue to register my "boyhood+ teenage" (well, now I am into my early forties if you must know) moments of my love/passion for Commando and everything around military history - foreign or Indian!

My personal collection, starting with "The Dirty Dozen":-

The World War II: Movies, Books & Trivia-img_1491.jpg

What's inside this magnum opus:-

The World War II: Movies, Books & Trivia-img_1494.jpg

An introduction by the legendary editor George Low:-

The World War II: Movies, Books & Trivia-img_1493.jpg

And some more action packed 3-in-1 thrillers:-

The World War II: Movies, Books & Trivia-img_1496.jpg

Some individual pocket dynamite stories:-

The World War II: Movies, Books & Trivia-img_1500.jpg

I also am a keen follower of how some of the world's Special Forces troops operate, how they train and how they deploy on assignments. I have owned many books (I have loaned out many to budding war story enthusiasts), some of these currently with me:-

The World War II: Movies, Books & Trivia-img_1498.jpg

Speaking of Special Forces, I follow our India's own Para SF (courtesy some friends and distant relatives in the Army) quite frequently.

And finally, here's my bow in honor (manacha mujra, is the right word) to one of India's greatest military leaders:-

The World War II: Movies, Books & Trivia-img_1499.jpg
JoshMachine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 11:50   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
Thanks hserus.

I will take this cue to register my "boyhood+ teenage" (well, now I am into my early forties if you must know) moments of my love/passion for Commando
Sure. Do read the commando I wrote when it comes out next February and let me know how it was.
Old 3rd September 2021, 12:15   #165
Distinguished - BHPian

Kicking off a new (old) book - The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by William Shirer.

Extremely excited to get busy with this book - although I paid more than what I would have to for a new one via Amazon, I got a used one from Blooms (Bangalore) just because it felt the right thing to do
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed