Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2014, 14:00   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: The World War II: Movies, Books & Trivia

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Can you please add me as well. will PM you with id.
I sorry - that didn't work out since the files sizes were huge and my speeds were not enough.
Old 5th February 2014, 14:26   #77
BHPian

One more WWI movie which didn't make it to list so far - Paths of Glory

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paths_of_Glory

Quite an offbeat movie but interesting to watch for WW fans
Old 7th February 2014, 11:06   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Another fantastic Second World War book by Colin Forbes. Tramp in Armour. About a lone Brit Tank that gets left behind, along with its crew, after a battle, but on the wrong side of the lines and how they wreak havoc amongst the enemy.
Great book pal! Read in my 11th std way back in 1982! and the tank was a Matilda, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazinga View Post
Love the movies being talked about here. Mildly surprised by not finding Enemy at the gates here
Yes sir, a great movie and some nice sniping action. The Rifle he used was Mosin Nagant bolt action chambered in 7.62x54R, this is the longest serving military cartridge in the world (since 1891), even used today in india (in SVD Dragunov designated marksman rifle in army)
Old 7th February 2014, 11:14   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Another fantastic Second World War book by Colin Forbes. Tramp in Armour. About a lone Brit Tank that gets left behind, along with its crew, after a battle, but on the wrong side of the lines and how they wreak havoc amongst the enemy.
Great book pal! Read in my 11th std way back in 1982! and the tank was a Matilda, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazinga View Post
Love the movies being talked about here. Mildly surprised by not finding Enemy at the gates here
Yes sir, a great movie and some nice sniping action. The Rifle he used was Mosin Nagant bolt action chambered in 7.62x54R, this is the longest serving military cartridge in the world (since 1891), even used today in india (in SVD Dragunov designated marksman rifle in army)
Old 7th February 2014, 19:38   #80
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by windiesel View Post
Yes the Tank was a battle hardened Matilda which evoked a soft spot in the hearts of those who piloted her across enemy territory.
Old 7th February 2014, 21:41   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by windiesel View Post

Windiesel.
Hi.
Wow.
Not many people would have heard about Dragunov, leave aside the 54R.
I first heard about the 54R in a movie a few years back(Not enemy at the gates but Shooter starring Wahlberg). That was the first time I heard about rim cartridges.
Shankar.balan
Hi.
A few years back saw a movie The Beast about a Russian tank stranded in Afghanistan, without a happy ending.
Regards
Old 7th February 2014, 23:27   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Anybody seen "Sahara"?
The one with Belushi? Brilliant take, that was.
Old 8th February 2014, 07:11   #83
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I don't like modern warfare of the kind that is raging these last 40 years or 50 years.

There is no concept of "gentlemanliness" in these new age wars.

I think to the largest extent, that concept went out with the First World War and to some extent was there even in the Second World War but sadly, not after that.

And many of these movies with sad endings are actually "anti-war"...even Von Ryan's Express was tragic, as was the Great Escape etc.
Old 8th February 2014, 08:13   #84
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I don't like modern warfare of the kind that is raging these last 40 years or 50 years.

What gentlemanliness? That existed only when people of same culture fought each other, specifically in Europe. For example, when Europeans fought each other, they had the concept of parole, treating each other's officers with respect. That is it. It was mainly because all their royalty were kind of inter-related. But when people of different culture fought each other, there was no gentlemanliness in any war, any time. During the crusades the same Europeans ate their enemies in order to intimidate them. Same Europeans committed genocide all over south america.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2014, 17:00   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Windiesel.
Hi.
Wow.
Not many people would have heard about Dragunov, leave aside the 54R.
I first heard about the 54R in a movie a few years back(Not enemy at the gates but Shooter starring Wahlberg). That was the first time I heard about rim cartridges.
Shankar.balan
Hi.
A few years back saw a movie The Beast about a Russian tank stranded in Afghanistan, without a happy ending.
Regards
Rimmed Cartridges evolved before rimless ones due to easier headspacing in single shot weapons. These days a vast majority of automatic weapons use rimless carts while rimmed carts are favoured in Revolvers.
Seen shooter too,great movie, especially the opening sniping action where Swagger (wahlberg) uses the M40 (7.62x51-NATO Rimless) and Barret .50 (also rimless). Seen The Beast too, where a T55 gets trapped amidst blood hungry Taliban. Since a T-55 Tank main gun can't elevate beyond 20degrees the Taliban occupy the high ground and have fun with the tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Anybody seen "Sahara"?
The one with Belushi? Brilliant take, that was.
Brilliant film, Sahara. BTW it is a remake of original film also called Sahara, from the forties starring the inimitable humphry bogart.

Quote:
When the enemy cuts off the heads of your brothers in arms and has the audacity to play football with them, do you expect me to be gentlemanly with them? I pray to god to give me half a chance of cutting off a few of theirs, i'll be gentlemanly enough not to play football with them.
Old 9th February 2014, 12:18   #86

I would like to suggest a book named "Operation Mincemeat" to all the readers. Its a book about how British Intelligence used a spy to change the course of WW2. He was a spy unlike any other. The biggest difference between him and all the other spies was that he was dead.

I would also suggest the book/movie "Johnny Got His Gun". Its a book about a WW1 soldier who loses almost his whole body to an artillery shell. It describes the horror of war. Clips from the movie was used in the video of the song One by Metallica.
Old 9th February 2014, 12:49   #87
BHPian

This is a funny interpretation of what would have happened if Facebook was around during the the time of WW II
The World War II: Movies, Books & Trivia-15611large15611s9x7u580x8279.jpg
Old 9th February 2014, 22:40   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koenigsegg220 View Post
This is a funny interpretation of what would have happened if Facebook was around during the the time of WW II
Attachment 1206028
Hi
Thanks for sharing.
Would have been funny if it wasn't a synopsis of the war which turned tragic way beyond anybody's foresight.
Regards

Last edited by faustus77 : 9th February 2014 at 22:42.
Old 10th February 2014, 08:59   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Hi
Thanks for sharing.
Would have been funny if it wasn't a synopsis of the war which turned tragic way beyond anybody's foresight.
Regards
I did not mean to say funny exactly.
Its just another perspective of how it have been if Facebook was around during the war.
Old 10th February 2014, 22:39   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koenigsegg220 View Post
I did not mean to say funny exactly.
Its just another perspective of how it have been if Facebook was around during the war.
Koenigsegg
Hi
I too wasn't sure about using the word funny in this context. For want of a better word I used it.
Regards

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks