Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2014, 23:53   #61
BHPian

Re: The World War II: Movies, Books & Trivia

No one here had yet mentioned The World at War. I got it during my days at BITS, Pilani. Its a 26 episode documentary series, and was claimed to be the most expensive series produced till date. It chronicles the events of WW II in an orderly fashion and provides much insight into the things as they happened.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_World_at_War

Unfortunately, my hard disk crashed and I lost it.

Last edited by amikacin : 25th January 2014 at 23:54. Reason: Adding the wiki link
Old 26th January 2014, 01:05   #62
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
Yeah - I read that too - eons ago. These along with The Heights of Zevros & Palermo Ambush were his best (WW2) novels.

The Heights of Zervos it was.
Palermo ambush too was great.

I vastly preferred Colin Forbes in his earlier avatar before he became obsessed with blighted Tweed and Paula Grey and their army of well-known secret agents, which itself, is a contradiction in terms.

In our school library, there was a complete set of 'Life' magazines, which portrayed various aspects of WW2. An excellent series.
Old 26th January 2014, 06:59   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
The Heights of Zervos it was.
Palermo ambush too was great.

I vastly preferred Colin Forbes in his earlier avatar before he became obsessed with blighted Tweed and Paula Grey and their army of well-known secret agents, which itself, is a contradiction in terms.

In our school library, there was a complete set of 'Life' magazines, which portrayed various aspects of WW2. An excellent series.
Yes - he took the easy route with the Tweed series. Some pre Tweed efforts were pretty good tho'. Stone Leopard, Avalanche Express etc.
I remember reading quite a few of those WW2 comics (the small sized ones - B & W). Sadly those have disappeared.
Another little known author who wrote a couple of brilliant yarns was Guy Richards. His books are out of print unfortunately. Tried getting hold of The Canaris Papers (was a fascinating story) - there are a few 2nd hand ones available on the net but shipping to India costs a fortune.
Old 26th January 2014, 08:08   #64
BANNED

Quote:
Yes - he took the easy route with the Tweed series. Some pre Tweed efforts were pretty good tho'. Stone Leopard, Avalanche Express etc.
I remember reading quite a few of those WW2 comics (the small sized ones - B & W). Sadly those have disappeared.
Another little known author who wrote a couple of brilliant yarns was Guy Richards. His books are out of print unfortunately. Tried getting hold of The Canaris Papers (was a fascinating story) - there are a few 2nd hand ones available on the net but shipping to India costs a fortune.

The Commando and War Picture Library comics are being reprinted now and are available as omnibus volumes.
I had a huge collection of these in the 1970's and 1980's while growing up.
I gave away the whole lot of my childhood books and comics to the local Hippocampus library for children in Koramangala, Bangalore, in the hope that some kids of the new generation read them.
Old 26th January 2014, 16:09   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Commando and War Picture Library comics are being reprinted now and are available as omnibus volumes.
I had a huge collection of these in the 1970's and 1980's while growing up.
I gave away the whole lot of my childhood books and comics to the local Hippocampus library for children in Koramangala, Bangalore, in the hope that some kids of the new generation read them.
Oh I didn't know that. I wonder if they have e versions (like Tin Tin & Asterix - I have the whole collection on my ipad).
Don't know if the youngsters of today would like those old comics.
Old 26th January 2014, 16:56   #66
BANNED

Quote:
Oh I didn't know that. I wonder if they have e versions (like Tin Tin & Asterix - I have the whole collection on my ipad).
Don't know if the youngsters of today would like those old comics.

As far as I know they haven't got the e versions. Incidentally so do I have the e versions of Tintin and Asterix and Calvin and Hobbes, but this is only because a cousin of my wife's sat and scanned each page individually into the computer somewhere during his college years. Saying this, I would sincerely love to have the whole lot, in 'official' e version form if thats possible. Wondering whether you would be kind enough to oblige by dumping them all onto a pen drive and sending it across!
Old 26th January 2014, 19:11   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As far as I know they haven't got the e versions. Incidentally so do I have the e versions of Tintin and Asterix and Calvin and Hobbes, but this is only because a cousin of my wife's sat and scanned each page individually into the computer somewhere during his college years. Saying this, I would sincerely love to have the whole lot, in 'official' e version form if thats possible. Wondering whether you would be kind enough to oblige by dumping them all onto a pen drive and sending it across!
PDF and cbr ARE available. If you know where to look.
Old 26th January 2014, 19:40   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have PDFs. Shall I put them up on Google Drive and share them with you (assuming you have a google a/c)?
Old 26th January 2014, 20:35   #69
BANNED

Quote:
I have PDFs. Shall I put them up on Google Drive and share them with you (assuming you have a google a/c)?

Will PM you matey.
Thanks.
Old 27th January 2014, 15:32   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto Verruckt View Post
Ouch! thanks for the correction windiesel. Coming to think of it, is anybody on this forum aware of any Indian books written on WW2? I for one definitely cant remember any.
If one can read and understand the Kannada language, then "Yad Vashem" by Nemichandra is a brilliant read. Although the story spans multiple decades from before WW2 to 1990s, a greater part of the book describes in considerable detail, the bleak truth of the Holocaust(the jewish massacre/genocide). I am not aware if any translated versions are available, but if they are indeed available then I would urge people to read that book.
Old 27th January 2014, 22:10   #71
BHPian

Hi everybody
Years back I saw a stone plaque Minsk square in Bangalore near M.G.road.
AFAIR remember there was no Indian division which took part in Russia.
This was a victory for the Germans.
Yet it was named Minsk square.
Anybody any idea about the origin ?
Thanks and regards
Old 29th January 2014, 12:38   #72
BHPian

Love the movies being talked about here. Mildly surprised by not finding Enemy at the gates here
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0215750/

Brilliant movie and a must watch for all sniper action lovers and those who have had a chance to play COD-World at war.

For that matter the title COD-World at war has a brilliant plot an game-play.
Old 3rd February 2014, 22:48   #73
BHPian

Hi everybody.
Suggestions for movies/books are flagging.

Quite a few of you have recommended Das Boot. I have a DVD player which I have not used for 4/5 years. I don't know whether it is in working condition. So I would like to see online. I have a speed of 50 MBPS so shouldn't be a problem. Could somebody please guide me to the best site where I can see it?
Thanks a lot
Regards
PS: My query about Minsk square in Bangalore. Any answer.Thanks
Old 3rd February 2014, 23:53   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

I picked up this from a pre-read book store today for a weekends trip.
Seems to be an interesting read.
We'll see.
Attached Thumbnails
The World War II: Movies, Books & Trivia-forumrunner_20140203_235139.png  

Old 4th February 2014, 09:37   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Can you please add me as well. will PM you with id.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks