Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2019, 09:21   #151
BHPian

Re: The Astronomy Thread: FAQs, News & Trivia

If anyone is interested, a team of planetary astronomers is asking the public to help name a minor planet designated 2007 OR10, which is the largest unnamed world in the solar system.
The public has one month to choose between three semi-finalists:
Gonggong (a Chinese water god), Holle (a European winter goddess associated with fertility, rebirth and women) and Vili (a Nordic deity who helped defeat the frost giant Ymir).
You can cast your vote until 03:59 GMT May 11.
Cheers!!!

Link : https://2007or10.name/index.html#who
Old 15th April 2019, 10:08   #152
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky@home View Post
If anyone is interested, a team of planetary astronomers is asking the public to help name a minor planet designated 2007 OR10, which is the largest unnamed world in the solar system. The public has one month to choose between three semi-finalists:
Gonggong (a Chinese water god), Holle (a European winter goddess associated with fertility, rebirth and women) and Vili (a Nordic deity who helped defeat the frost giant Ymir). You can cast your vote until 03:59 GMT May 11.
Thanks for pointing me to this. I voted for the Chinese name. It is time heavenly bodies are given as Asian name. An Indian name would have been better

My thanks to all of you who painstakingly keep this most informative thread alive – sparky@home, KomS CarLog, Fraz33r, saket77, Abhay, Shashanka, tsk1979, alpha1 - thank you folks.
Old 15th April 2019, 10:11   #153
BHPian

I too voted for that, unfortunately the choice is limited we could have plenty from our Indian Puranas. That is life, I guess.
Old 8th May 2019, 20:31   #154
BANNED

While going through Earthfiles.com (Linda Howe's popular website dealing with the strange & the unusual) I came across one of her reports which may be of interest in this thread:
file:///C:/Users/ADMIN/Desktop/download%20-%20Copy.htm

The idea of technology transfer from extra-terrestrial sources has been around for sometime. This write-up is another addition to the literature.

Last edited by shashanka : 8th May 2019 at 20:47.
Old 9th May 2019, 09:48   #155
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
(Linda Howe's popular website dealing with the strange & the unusual)
Seems more like a website dealing with the 'hoaxy' and the fake to me.

Quote:
The idea of technology transfer from extra-terrestrial sources has been around for sometime. This write-up is another addition to the literature.
Yes, certainly, if we're talking about science-fiction literature!
Old 9th May 2019, 10:05   #156
Distinguished - BHPian

May be of some interest to the amateur astronomy photographers- took this shot of the full moon in March with a 400mm birding lens (Canon 400 5.6) and DSLR (550d), without a tripod or anything. Am not an astronomy photographer, just took this because I was curious how it would turn out. Didn't expect it to be this clear (image cropped and compressed to upload here).

Conditions were ideal, was at Kalo Dungar (the highest point in Kutch, though that's only 462m) and obviously no light pollution.

But interesting what can be done with amateur gear these days. And ideal conditions.
Attached Thumbnails
The Astronomy Thread: FAQs, News & Trivia-img_3759.jpg  

Old 9th May 2019, 16:10   #157
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Seems more like a website dealing with the 'hoaxy' and the fake to me.
Yes, certainly, if we're talking about science-fiction literature!

Well now! – looks like I’ve ruffled a few feathers in the dovecote. No no, the idea was not to rock the boat. I am just happy to keep an open mind while letting the pundits (the Fred Hoyles’, Carl Sagans’, Stephen Hawkings’, Chandrashekhars and their ilk) do the semantics & hair-splitting!

I am happy to continue believing that (like Linda Howe & her “Glimpses of Other Realities”) there is a great deal more to our nuts & bolts world than meets the eye!

That's a nice capture of the moon by the way!

Last edited by shashanka : 9th May 2019 at 16:11.
Old 10th May 2019, 10:26   #158
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well now! – looks like I’ve ruffled a few feathers in the dovecote. No no, the idea was not to rock the boat.
Hey, if I came across as rude, my apologies.

Every astronomical observation or theory of any merit has been subjected to rigorous testing and been proved by observation. A lot of pseudo-science unfortunately gets by with the claim of 'keeping an open mind'. Obviously each to their own. All I meant was there has to be some proof for what's being published on that site, that's all.
Old 10th May 2019, 22:18   #159
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Hey, if I came across as rude, my apologies.

Every astronomical observation or theory of any merit has been subjected to rigorous testing and been proved by observation. A lot of pseudo-science unfortunately gets by with the claim of 'keeping an open mind'. Obviously each to their own. All I meant was there has to be some proof for what's being published on that site, that's all.

Not to worry & no need for apologies. As you said to each his own.

And astrophysics / astronomy today (in its more esoteric avatars) - is almost borderline science. With astrophysicists like Dr. J. Allen Hyneck and polymaths like Dr. Jacques Vallee (a central figure in the debate) among a growing body of mainstream academics giving weight to the extra-terrestrial hypothesis, the subject has acquired a tenuous mainstream acceptance of its own.

And speaking for myself, I’ve always enjoyed chasing chimeras as opposed to the prosaic & the humdrum
Old 15th May 2019, 15:52   #160
BHPian

Took this picture late last month. Been a bucket list picture, but sadly didn't have the right lens for the job.

This is the summer Milky Way. The brightest point of light is Jupiter.
Attached Thumbnails
The Astronomy Thread: FAQs, News & Trivia-1557915665392.jpg  

Old 20th May 2019, 18:59   #161
BHPian

With this image rotated to a landscape orientation, you can picture the orbital plane of the Solar System, called the ecliptic & Earth's place within it. Plus, you can see how our solar system is tipped about 60 degrees relative to the plane of our galaxy.

It is beautiful !!!

Link https://go.nasa.gov/2ALTsPO
Attached Thumbnails
The Astronomy Thread: FAQs, News & Trivia-nasa.jpg  

Old 20th May 2019, 19:11   #162
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky@home View Post
With this image rotated to a landscape orientation, you can picture the orbital plane of the Solar System, called the ecliptic & Earth's place within it. Plus, you can see how our solar system is tipped about 60 degrees relative to the plane of our galaxy.
Thank you immensely for sharing. What a sight. Never ever thought of this perspective.
Old 13th June 2019, 22:04   #163
BHPian

I hope someone finds this report interesting. The Nimitz Carrier Strike Group encountered unexplained events during a routine training and aerial defines exercise off San Diego in November of 2004. The matter has come to light as the cloak of secrecy has been lifted. All I can is that I wish there were answers to the question which arises, but is still pending.

Old 23rd June 2019, 16:30   #164
BANNED

This afternoon (23rd June '19 at 4 pm, a few minutes ago in fact) while watching CNN, I found the newscaster stating that a press briefing had been given to the White House (yes President Trump himself!), regarding US Navy pilots recently facing a non-hostile confrontation with possible UFOs.

Such incidents are old hat to UFO buffs - except that this time a major news channel covered it.
Old 23rd June 2019, 19:28   #165
BHPian

Quote:
This afternoon (23rd June '19 at 4 pm, a few minutes ago in fact) while watching CNN, I found the newscaster stating that a press briefing had been given to the White House (yes President Trump himself!), regarding US Navy pilots recently facing a non-hostile confrontation with possible UFOs.

Such incidents are old hat to UFO buffs - except that this time a major news channel covered it.
It was this

Quote:
Gizmodo then reached out to the Department of Defense, which didn’t technically claim ownership of the UFOs, but did say that the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) launched three balloons from Cumberland, Maryland on June 18 in a flight test for its Adaptable Lighter Than Air (ALTA) program. A tweet from DARPA on that day confirmed the flight test

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks