Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2021, 15:55   #481
BHPian

re: The Cryptocurrency & NFT Thread

WazirX is owned by Binance, one of the leading exchanges in the world. I have found wazirx UI easy to work with. But yeah , it was unavailable for many hour's recently when BTC nosedived. So you can expect crashes and downtimes. But your funds don't get affected. Being a newbie to crypto, i thought ill just use WazirX for now before exploring other exchanges.

https://support.wazirx.com/hc/en-us/...Best-Practices

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak01 View Post
Is WazirX a safe platform to trade crypto ? Just got my KYC and bank account verified today. Reviews are very mixed online, just wondering whether I should go ahead with the transaction
kap04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 21:08   #482
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
You're certainly right that if you're a believer that this bull run isn't over, now is a great time to buy.
Just to add more on this, there's currently a very good chance that BTC (and therefore the entire crypto market) is going to dip a lot further in the coming days / weeks.

How long that lasts for is anybody's guess.

But if you've already made up your mind to enter, don't jump all-in just yet. Wait for a better entry, or start DCA-ing in slowly. A lot of veterans of the charts are calling for anywhere between $13k - $28k BTC in the near future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak01 View Post
Is WazirX a safe platform to trade crypto ?
It's no less safe than any of the others. I haven't used them, but it seems WazirX is the most technologically advanced of the options.

Just ensure you follow all the best practices of security - don't cut corners, and most definitely have 2FA enabled for all your accounts.
Rehaan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 17:41   #483
BHPian

This just in today,

WazirX Served Show Cause Notice By Enforcement Directorate for Cryptocurrency Transactions Worth Rs. 2,790 Crore
ED says Chinese nationals used WazirX to launder gambling proceeds worth Rs. 57 crore.

https://gadgets.ndtv.com/internet/ne...dtv_topstories

Last edited by sajands : 11th June 2021 at 17:43. Reason: needed to add the link
Old 11th June 2021, 18:43   #484
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It was found that the WazirX Clients could transfer 'valuable' cryptocurrencies to any person irrespective of its location and nationality without any proper documentation whatsoever, making it a safe haven for users looking for money laundering/ other illegal activities
That is nothing but Hawala. And WazirX enabled it?

Then these guys are in real trouble.
Samurai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st June 2021, 22:32   #485
Team-BHP Support

China is shutting down energy sucking crypto mining centers.

https://gizmodo.com/bitcoin-plunges-...g-o-1847139438
Old 22nd June 2021, 00:13   #486
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
That is nothing but Hawala. And WazirX enabled it?

Then these guys are in real trouble.
Umm, is it even possible to track a wallet address? I mean you can track our transactions, but anybody can make a wallet anywhere on a computer and transfer crypto.
So every crypto is like "hawala". However unlike Hawala where cash has no tracking, Bitcoin is fully trackable, and FBI has shown that. IF black money moves to bitcoin, it can be tracked, and I am not sure many politicians would want that
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 15:28   #487
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
China is shutting down energy sucking crypto mining centers.

https://gizmodo.com/bitcoin-plunges-...g-o-1847139438
This is good news contrary to what most think. It moves mining out of China where it was quite centralised and its NOT because of any energy related reasons but for the fact that china wants to push its digital yuan to enforce govt supremacy which is natural.
Moving mining out means miners can now find more efficient places like El Savador or now its Khazakstan, it will be good long term imho. Short term its not good maybe as hash rates will fall and have fallen, miners may have sold also to fund for the high cost of moving themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Umm, is it even possible to track a wallet address? I mean you can track our transactions, but anybody can make a wallet anywhere on a computer and transfer crypto.
So every crypto is like "hawala". However unlike Hawala where cash has no tracking, Bitcoin is fully trackable, and FBI has shown that. IF black money moves to bitcoin, it can be tracked, and I am not sure many politicians would want that
That FBI tracking transactions is false and partial news. They could find the private keys it seems. Its impossible to track the transaction over the blockchain. Blackmoney moving to BTC is possible but at first you have to open an account with an exchange and that needs KYC. Any exchange can track who actually moved the money, to who it goes may not be possible to trace. That said, people who hoard black money have more than one innovative ways, they don't need blockchain tech i guess

Last edited by Samurai : 2nd July 2021 at 16:48. Reason: Back to back post
mkh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 10:11   #488
Team-BHP Support

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/84539433.cms

Now WazirX has to explain to ED how they are not breaking FEMA, by allowing their customers to transfer money outside of banking channels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
Its impossible to track the transaction over the blockchain.
Can you explain this a bit, you can get technical. I do fair amount of cryptography programming (openssl), so I should be able to follow.

I am familiar with the general principle of blockchains. Each transaction block is sealed by majority of the miners, so it will be public. And it can't be unsealed or modified because all the subsequent blocks are built on the previous sealed blocks. But one can look back at previous blocks and track them if one has the wallet address. Only Monero is anonymous because it doesn't use public address. It uses a new address for every transaction I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
One can follow the money. If you send money to any wallet address from your WazirX account, the local authorities can ask you why did you send it, to whom did you send it.

Suppose you are the recipient of such anonymous money. Unless you are spending only in crypto, you will one day try to convert it into local currency, and that is when the authorities can catch you.
Samurai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 14:01   #489
BHPian

I’m curious about how the crypto market is going on. I’m thinking of just “investing” 1 or 2k INR and forget about it. Do I have any options for doing something like this?
Old 20th July 2021, 11:58   #490
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandey.jai View Post
I’m thinking of just “investing” 1 or 2k INR and forget about it.
Since you want to limit your investment to that amount, you can even consider mining ETH or the likes to earn payment in BTC. You'll need a good graphics card though.

I have a friend who is using Nicehash, as he says it's the easiest to set up and leave running. You should be able to earn your investment amount within a month (depends on your system specs).

If you do it this way, you won't have to go through the headache of dealing with banks, Indian exchanges, etc. and the fees and possible KYC & tax complications associated with each.
Old 21st July 2021, 10:31   #491
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Since you want to limit your investment to that amount, you can even consider mining ETH or the likes to earn payment in BTC. You'll need a good graphics card though.
Thanks for the suggestion but I’m not planning to go the graphics card or purchasing other hardware route. That’s too much work for something I’m not even serious about.

In general, when folks talk about investing in crypto, what kind of investment are we talking about? I know every situation is different but are people investing 1L or 10L or even bigger amount?
Old 22nd July 2021, 01:10   #492
Senior - BHPian

For the past few days, I keep getting added to some "Get rich using BitCoin" type of WhatsApp group. I report and exit the group but I am part of a similar-sounding group the next day. Don't know how to find who is behind this and how to report them.
Old 22nd July 2021, 10:39   #493
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
For the past few days, I keep getting added to some "Get rich using BitCoin" type of WhatsApp group. I report and exit the group but I am part of a similar-sounding group the next day. Don't know how to find who is behind this and how to report them.
Under the whatsapp privacy settings for groups, you can select to allow only your contacts to be able to add you to groups. If someone in your contact list is adding you, block that person or call them and tell them to stop. (I use this feature a lot! Hate being added to random groups. Even blocked an uncle of mine because he kept pulling me into one of those 'good morning/inspirational quotes' groups!)

Last edited by am1m : 22nd July 2021 at 10:44.
am1m is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 12:29   #494
Team-BHP Support

Well, I learnt two new words today (thanks to a crypto whatsapp grouo)

- Proof of Burn
- Coin Burning

The Cryptocurrency & NFT Thread-screenshot_1.jpg
SmartCat is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 12:39   #495
BHPian

This might be unrelated, but wanted to highlight how Crypto is still a baffling proposition in regular life, in absence of clear rules.

I work with a media conglomerate and we recently locked a sponsorship deal for a programme with CoinSwitch Kuber. The amount of hurdles that our Legal & Regulatory team put us through, even in basic elements of promoting the brand, were monstrous. A firm disclaimer that "Cryptocurrency is an unregulated digital currency and not a legal tender" had to be added to every creative with the CoinSwitch logo that went up on air. Also, we were not allowed to include the actual salient features of the brand communication, since we were told to play safe. This became a royal p-in-the-a and the whole campaign turned into a ridiculous affair. We somehow managed to get through and mollify the brand at the end of it
IamNikhil is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed