Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2023, 13:07   #766
BHPian

Re: The Cryptocurrency & NFT Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandher View Post
Bitcoin ETF's are coming, your mutual funds and retirement funds will be allocating percentages into it. They will have to market buy BTC 1:1 ratio, only 21 million total BTC in existence, much less available on exchanges to buy.

Do you not understand the gravity of the situation?
Could you please quote from where you have this statement highlighted in bold?

As far as I'm aware of, SEBI has banned mutual fund houses in India from investing in any crypto-currency until there's a law enacted on any digital assets. Even the ones like Invesco who have a blockchain fund have declared that they'll wait for such laws.

Could you share further info please?

I'm not trying to disparage you, just genuinely trying to see if there's any news I missed.
Small Bot is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2023, 13:37   #767
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
only 21 million total BTC in existence, much less available on exchanges to buy. Do you not understand the gravity of the situation?
Although there are only 21 million Bitcoins, each Bitcoin is further divisible into 100 million Satoshis.

So that is 21 million x 100 million = 2.1 million billions

There is plenty for everybody!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Bot View Post
As far as I'm aware of, SEBI has banned mutual fund houses in India from investing in any crypto-currency until there's a law enacted on any digital assets.
Indian mutual funds are not allowed to invest in cryptocurrencies, but American mutual funds are. However, the assets under management of all Bitcoin ETFs combined is just around $1 billion or so (meaning, not very popular).
SmartCat is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2023, 15:16   #768
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
There is plenty for everybody!
Although this is a low effort reply, i'll still answer this question asked by every newbie since 2008. You can settle for a smaller size pizza slice, but the pizza isn't getting any bigger. I think divisibility will come into play more when BTC is well north of a million dollars and your average joe can only afford 0.001 units

As the BTC keeps getting divided into smaller units, you will be controlling a lesser and lesser percentage part of the total supply. Remember the fight is for a share in total supply that is '2.1 million billions'. You can understand this more clearly if you simply think about buying a percentage out of total which is 100% and never going to 101%

The second part of your reply contains falsehood, SEC has not approved any spot ETF, what you have is miners or futures contracts. A spot ETF will mean funds have to keep 1:1 BTC in custody (real BTC not a contract) to every ETF unit purchased by an investor.

More info here - https://www.investopedia.com/article...-gbtc-arkw.asp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Bot View Post
Could you please quote from where you have this statement highlighted in bold?
My post was oriented towards why and how BTC can appreciate in value, and in Crypto's case you need to have a global perspective. We do not need Indian funds to jump in yet, American money is enough to pump it to stratosphere. I meant these when i talked about etfs -

The Cryptocurrency & NFT Thread-f9bo5bkayaafhp.jpg

Remember crypto's mission is to put the monetary system out of government hands into yours. You can purchase and keep BTC in a wallet yourself, you do not need to buy it through an etf. They are for old people/tech illiterate who cannot or won't self custody

Last edited by SmartCat : 22nd October 2023 at 16:12. Reason: Merging reply
Pandher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2023, 16:36   #769
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You can settle for a smaller size pizza slice, but the pizza isn't getting any bigger. As the BTC keeps getting divided into smaller units, you will be controlling a lesser and lesser percentage part of the total supply. Remember the fight is for a share in total supply that is '2.1 million billions'. You can understand this more clearly if you simply think about buying a percentage out of total which is 100% and never going to 101%
If you want to explain why Bitcoin will rise, scarcity is not a very good reason for that. If you look around, you might find other "low supply" cryptocurrencies too. It doesn't mean just because supply is low, its price will start reaching stratospheric levels.

Bitcoin price will depend on supply and demand, just like any other asset. So if you expect price of Bitcoin to rise, you need to base your theory on why demand will rise over time. If long term demand (buying interest) for Bitcoin has a negative trend, the limited supply cannot protect its price.

Quote:
A spot ETF will mean funds have to keep 1:1 BTC in custody (real BTC not a contract) to every ETF unit purchased by an investor.
This can help, but it will still depend on how much investments these ETFs can garner. In addition to that, there needs to be a continuous buying interest in such ETFs over time, to positively affect BTC price.

Eg: Gold ETF AUM

The Cryptocurrency & NFT Thread-eby_v7hu0aelsqc.jpeg

Last edited by SmartCat : 22nd October 2023 at 16:50.
Old 22nd October 2023, 20:18   #770
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Remember crypto's mission is to put the monetary system out of government hands into yours.
Meanwhile, governments will sit back and let go all their of control of income tax and sales tax.

These ideas have been thoroughly debunked many times in this thread.
Samurai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th October 2023, 23:24   #771
BHPian

The one thing that always fascinates me is the optimism that many people show that people will self govern themselves better than a regulator, which is a utopia in my opinion. Yes people sometimes adhere to rules and even help others as long as it doesn't inconvenience them or doesn't put them at a disadvantage. Selfishness is inherent to every living thing, right from humans to dogs as it is how they survived through ages.

A simple example. Without traffic police our entire cities turn chaotic with everyone trying to get ahead without a thought for others. Even if majority had good sense, acts of few would throw the entire traffic to come to a stand still. Everyone here would have faced this situation. The presence of a traffic cop who regulates the traffic reduces the chances of such jams. If we as a society cannot take care of a simple thing like this I don't know what is the chance of running a complex thing such as monetary system. Whatever scams and frauds in financial space is not because of regulators, but in spite of regulators. Absence of such regulators will lead to anarchy. What many don't seem to think is that if we take away control of monetary system from government, that void will be filled by a few private individuals who lord over us. And no, there will never be a truly utopian system where everyone has equal voice and say.

Last edited by vamsi.kona : 24th October 2023 at 23:25.
vamsi.kona is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2023, 09:32   #772
BHPian

Sam Bankman-Fried convicted of financial fraud

Quote:
Sam Bankman-Fried, who once ran one of the world's biggest cryptocurrency exchanges, has been found guilty of fraud and money laundering at the end of a month-long trial in New York.
Incidentally, he was one of the biggest donors to the US Democratic party.
DigitalOne is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2023, 19:22   #773
BHPian

Bumping the thread, cryptocurrency newbie here.

Thinking of investing a small amount every month (maybe 4-5 k) accumulating a small amount of BTC to my portfolio. I’m looking to diversify, not make a quick buck. Plus over a 10-15 year horizon, the value is bound to increase given the limited supply.

What’s the general consensus? Also I see wazirx and coin switch as the two big platforms. Any recommendations or feedback?
Old 25th November 2023, 01:22   #774
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
Sam Bankman-Fried convicted of financial fraud

Incidentally, he was one of the biggest donors to the US Democratic party.
Its time for the worlds largest exchange: Binance now !

Binance chief Changpeng Zhao pleads guilty to money laundering charges

Binance clients withdraw $1 billion after money laundering charges

Last edited by Samfromindia : 25th November 2023 at 01:23.
Samfromindia is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2023, 04:44   #775
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by three10 View Post
I see wazirx and coin switch as the two big platforms. Any recommendations or feedback?
Don't leave your crypto on an exchange, unless it's a small amount that you're happy to lose. Once you have a larger amount, move it to a wallet that you control.

A surprisingly large amount of people who got burned in the bitcoin space lost money because of an exchange going bust.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th January 2024, 11:20   #776
BHPian

This is a huge step towards the mainstreaming of Bitcoin.

US SEC approves bitcoin ETFs in watershed for crypto market

Quote:
The U.S. securities regulator on Wednesday approved the first U.S.-listed exchange traded funds (ETFs) to track bitcoin, its Chair Gary Gensler said, in a watershed for the world's largest cryptocurrency and the broader crypto industry.
Quote:
The products - a decade in the making - are a game-changer for bitcoin, offering institutional and retail investors exposure to the world's largest cryptocurrency without directly holding it, and a major boost for a crypto industry beset by a string of scandals.
Source: Moneycontrol
DigitalOne is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2024, 12:00   #777
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post

US SEC approves bitcoin ETFs in watershed for crypto market

Source: Moneycontrol
All the big bulls holding thousands of Bitcoin can finally offload them to Blackrock, who in turn can package them in an ETF and sell them to unsuspecting pension funds.

And when the asset comes crashing sometime in the future, all the small investors would suffer.
Bhargav7 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th April 2024, 21:42   #778
BHPian

My friend wants to buy an Antminer X5. This X5 variant works only on RandomX algorithm, not very popular & hard to find. Any idea where we can get this in Mumbai? Please share offline dealer contacts as it is risky to buy it online. Also let us know if there is any authorized Bitmain dealer in or near Mumbai.
turbodude is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks