Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2014, 13:07   #316
Senior - BHPian

Re: Malaysian Airlines Boeing 777 (MH370) goes missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
No, I've seen news report that they have searched close to 80% of the area with their sub, where they thought the pings had come from. It would take a week to search the whole area and that week is coming to an end.

This whole incident has not only disappeared from the front pages of most news channels, you will actually have to start to search in order to find anything. Sad, but thats how these things go. Very unfortunate that the recent disaster with the ferry sort of puts this one in the shadow so to speak. But then there is provably very little news until they actually find something.

Im not sure what they will do if they dont find anything in the designated sear area. Probably sort of back to square one, where else could it be.

Jeroen
Indeed very disheartening to see MH370 disappear from all the news channels and online stories. The dedication and commitment that everyone, from Govt. to Citizens had showed made me believe that it is not after all impossible to find the airliner. But now, with Indian Elections, Ukraine Crisis and the Ferry sinking; MH370 is lost. I feel so terrible thinking about the families of the victims of this disaster. The thought is haunting me so much.

More scary is the part is what if they don't find anything this week... Back to square one scratching their heads where else to start from. The ocean is rough and merciless. I wonder if the debries are indeed left where they are looking for, or have they drifted far far away.
Old 8th May 2014, 13:09   #317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Indeed very disheartening to see MH370 disappear from all the news channels and online stories. The dedication and commitment that everyone, from Govt. to Citizens had showed made me believe that it is not after all impossible to find the airliner. But now, with Indian Elections, Ukraine Crisis and the Ferry sinking; MH370 is lost.
I use this site for following all aviation related incidents reported everyday from all over the world: http://avherald.com/
Some of them are quite an interesting read especially if you are interested in aviation.
The guy maintaining this site makes sure that every incident is kept updated till the final report is out!
This is the incident report for the MH370 incident there: http://avherald.com/h?article=4710c69b/028&opt=0
Old 8th May 2014, 14:35   #318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR71-Blackbird View Post
I use this site for following all aviation related incidents reported everyday from all over the world: http://avherald.com/
Some of them are quite an interesting read especially if you are interested in aviation.
The guy maintaining this site makes sure that every incident is kept updated till the final report is out!
This is the incident report for the MH370 incident there: http://avherald.com/h?article=4710c69b/028&opt=0
Thanks for the link. This is great stuff !!
Although I am not into aviation, but incidents like these interests me. Helps me build my own knowledgebase about emergency situations, possible scenarios, etc etc. My wife says I have become paranoid after reading all these stuff.
Old 9th May 2014, 19:55   #319
Distinguished - BHPian

So its been 2 months now and still no clue about the craft. Its bewildering to even think that so many countries combined might is failing so helplessly in front of mother nature. Any new update on what is happening? The new channels have now conveniently moved on and there is no mention.
Old 22nd May 2014, 10:26   #320
Senior - BHPian

Sydney, May 20 (ANI): The CIA hijacked the Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370, a former Malaysian prime minister has said. Dr Mahathir Mohamad wrote in his personal blog that with the help of the Boeing's advanced technology the CIA or 'certain parties' could have hijacked the aircraft remotely. According to news.com.au, Dr Mohamad, who was Malaysian prime minister from 1981 to 2003, said it was a waste of time and money to look for debris or oil slick or to listen for pings from the black box. He added that this is most likely not an ordinary crash after fuel was exhausted. The plane is somewhere, maybe without MAS markings. He said that someone is hiding something. It is not fair that MAS and Malaysia should take the blame. According to the report, Dr Mahathir cited a 2006 article on flightglobal.com as the basis for his argument. The article states that the CIA could activate an autopilot installed in order to prevent terrorists from taking control of the flight deck by force. He added that planes can land safely or they may crash, but just do not just disappear. Certainly not these days with all the powerful communication systems which operate almost indefinitely and possess huge storage capacities. Dr Mahathir also challenged the availability of satellite tracking data on the plane, saying that MH370 is a Boeing 777 aircraft. It was built and equipped by Boeing, hence all the communications and GPS equipment must have been installed by Boeing, the report added. (ANI)
Old 22nd May 2014, 10:52   #321
Distinguished - BHPian

Really? This is getting frustrating. Any credible updates? Or did they close the chapter?
Old 22nd May 2014, 11:09   #322
Distinguished - BHPian

No, far from it. keep a check on CNN and you will still see updates. They are now in the process of making the Inmarsat data publicly available. As with everything on this accident a right mess, with Inmarsat claiming they provided all info to Malaysian authorities a long time ago, and the Malayan authorities denying they have received it.

from what I can gather that data will be made public, and Im sure we will see lots of people jumping on it and deriving different conclusions.

Search is still on, but was hampered by the little sub breaking down a while ago, not sure where they are searching at the moment

Jeroen
Old 25th May 2014, 09:48   #323
Senior - BHPian

London, May 25 (ANI): A stray bullet fired in a struggle during a doomed hijack may have downed the missing Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370.
A bullet hole caused as the crew or a hero passenger struggled with hijackers would have had no immediate effect, a British author and pilot said
Sylvia Wrigley, who has written several books on aviation, has spent hours rigorously examining official reports posted online by the Malay, Chinese, Australian, US and British governments on MH370.
According to express.co.uk, in her new book 'The Mystery of Malaysia Airlines Flight 370', she argued that terrorists successfully took control of the plane but their plans went wrong when one of the crew or a brave passenger intervened.
She explained that a gunshot could have caused a slow decompression undetected by the hijackers and led to them not putting oxygen masks on as the pressure reduced.
She added that the sad fact was that almost certainly all the information has been obtained but until the aircraft wreckage and black box are located conclusions could not be drawn.(ANI)
the link:
https://in.news.yahoo.com/stray-bull...033303668.html
Old 25th May 2014, 19:20   #324
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay kamath View Post
She explained that a gunshot could have caused a slow decompression undetected by the hijackers and led to them not putting oxygen masks on as the pressure reduced.
She added that the sad fact was that almost certainly all the information has been obtained but until the aircraft wreckage and black box are located conclusions could not be drawn.(ANI)
the link:
Well, she won't get any arguments from anybody with her last statements. But the bullet theory is a bit far fetched. Yes, a bullet would pierce the hull and although I would imagine you would notice, especially if there is air escaping as there is a high pressure differential it would be fairly noisy.

A lot of people seem to think of the cabin as an airtight container. This is not the case at all. It has all sorts of openings. In fact in a big plane like these airbuses you would be surprised how much air needs to circulate through the cabin to maintain temperature, humidity and oxygen levels. Outside air is compressed by means of some clever tricks on the jet engines, it is run through a huge AC, that controls temperature, oxygen and humidity levels. The cabin pressure is regulated by a number of valves towards the back of the cabin. The higher altitude you fly, the more these valves will stay closed. So here is the ten million dollar question: how big or small does a hole need to be so the onboard systems can't cope and the cabin starts slowly loosing pressure. It would have to be bigger then a little bullet hole I would think.

Also, even with a slow decompression you would get alarm annunciation in the cockpit, visually and aural alarm. You can't exactly overlook it.

The cockpit crew needs to put on their oxygen make by themselves, based on various conditions. However, the cabin oxygen mask for the passengers deploy automatically. Cabin pressure it maintained at around 8-9000 feet and if the cabin pressure goes over approx 14.000 feet all the pax oxygen mask deploy automatically.

In case of a slow decompression the cockpit crew (be it high jackers or the pilots) will have had alarms long before the automatic cabin oxygen mask occur.

Many of us can testify that you will not die at 14.000 feet without oxygen. You might be a bit short of breath. The ChangLa pass in Ladakh is 17.500 feet. My wife and I survived that without problems.

Jeroen
Old 25th May 2014, 21:31   #325
BHPian

Malaysian Airlines Boeing 777 (MH370) goes missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay kamath View Post
London, May 25 (ANI): A stray bullet fired in a struggle during a doomed hijack may have downed the missing Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370.
A bullet hole caused as the crew or a hero passenger struggled with hijackers would have had no immediate effect, a British author and pilot said
Sylvia Wrigley, who has written several books on aviation, has spent hours rigorously examining official reports posted online by the Malay, Chinese, Australian, US and British governments on MH370.
According to express.co.uk, in her new book 'The Mystery of Malaysia Airlines Flight 370', she argued that terrorists successfully took control of the plane but their plans went wrong when one of the crew or a brave passenger intervened.
the link:

But this was something i had said in march!!
Post #140 😉

Mine was a wild guess!

Last edited by manas27587 : 25th May 2014 at 21:36.
Old 25th May 2014, 21:39   #326
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manas27587 View Post
But this was something i had said in march!!
Post #140 😉

Mine was a wild guess!

Check my post , unlikely, who ever comes up with it
!

Jeroen
Old 25th May 2014, 22:44   #327
BHPian

Quote:
Check my post , unlikely, who ever comes up with it

!

Jeroen

But why do u explain 1 bullet idea.
Why not a spray of bullets?

Also the AC allows air inside the cabin and controlled pressure.
So I dont think we can compare air entering through an AC and air escaping through a hole in the cabin.

Also in you support,
I think it would have given enough time to the pilots to report the above.
Old 26th May 2014, 06:51   #328
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manas27587 View Post
But why do u explain 1 bullet idea.
Why not a spray of bullets?
Because I'm replying to the topic in which this ladies apparently writes:

Quote:
A gunshot = one bullet.

I doubt anybody would miss a spray of bullets, one (small) gun going off, might be missed in the confusion.

Jeroen
Old 27th May 2014, 13:21   #329
Distinguished - BHPian

At long last the satellite data is made public.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/05/27/wo...html?hpt=hp_t1

Having said that, it's only the "raw data" that the officials felt was relevant. So it is a subset of total amount of RAW data captured by the satellite(s). And apparently and explanation on the analysis, assumptions, calculations etc. I have to get myself a copy of that report!

To me, another use blunder of the authorities in charge. With so much conspiracy theories flying around all ready and endless people, including the passengers families and friends claiming the authorities are "hiding something", I think this will just fuel more confussion and frustration.

They should have just made all RAW data available to anybody who is interested. Every bit of data picked up by Satellites, the full ATC conversations, everything etc.

I think it is very poor form to think the public needs to be handed a subset of the total RAW data in order to make sense of it. There are plenty of capable individuals and competent third parties who could do an excellent jog of analysing and coming up with conclussion. A huge untapped potential of knowledge and insigths completely ignored.

I dont think we will have heard the last of this.

Jeroen
Old 27th May 2014, 15:19   #330
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
At long last the satellite data is made public.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/05/27/wo...html?hpt=hp_t1

Having said that, it's only the "raw data" that the officials felt was relevant. So it is a subset of total amount of RAW data captured by the satellite(s). And apparently and explanation on the analysis, assumptions, calculations etc. I have to get myself a copy of that report!

To me, another use blunder of the authorities in charge. With so much conspiracy theories flying around all ready and endless people, including the passengers families and friends claiming the authorities are "hiding something", I think this will just fuel more confussion and frustration.

They should have just made all RAW data available to anybody who is interested. Every bit of data picked up by Satellites, the full ATC conversations, everything etc.

I think it is very poor form to think the public needs to be handed a subset of the total RAW data in order to make sense of it. There are plenty of capable individuals and competent third parties who could do an excellent jog of analysing and coming up with conclussion. A huge untapped potential of knowledge and insigths completely ignored.

I dont think we will have heard the last of this.

Jeroen
I'm no fan of conspiracy theories, but what exactly is the purpose served by NOT revealing all available data at this point, given everyone's already tried everything they could think of with no tangible results? As you rightly say, this will only create more frustration and fan the 'something to hide' flame some more.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 27th May 2014 at 15:23.

Most Viewed