Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2014, 15:35   #331
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Malaysian Airlines Boeing 777 (MH370) goes missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
I'm no fan of conspiracy theories, but what exactly is the purpose served by NOT revealing all available data at this point, given everyone's already tried everything they could think of with no tangible results? As you rightly say, this will only create more frustration and fan the 'something to hide' flame some more.

Agree,
I dont see any purpose served and I don't believe in these conspiracy theories either. This very unfortunate accident is just a case study in bad communication and how not to deal with relevant stakeholders.

I don't think anybody has anything to hide perse, but they are just completely incompetent when it comes to dealing with the media and the family.

Jeroen
Old 28th May 2014, 11:46   #332
Distinguished - BHPian

Here are some of the official reports / communication.

Knock yourself out, have a look and see if you think the plane is somewhere else, or what is wrong with this data and set of conclussion. Obviously, one thing that is wrong as discussed before is that it is not all data.

http://www.dca.gov.my/mainpage/MH370...ion%20Logs.pdf

http://www.atsb.gov.au/media/5205507..._FactSheet.pdf

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 28th May 2014 at 11:54.
Old 29th May 2014, 07:07   #333
Distinguished - BHPian

And the plot thickens!

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/05/28/wo...html?hpt=hp_t1

Jeroen
Old 29th May 2014, 10:34   #334
Distinguished - BHPian

Sad to see that any kind of lead is leading to a dead end. I would have placed my bet on using satellite images to check for any floating debris over the ocean since thats faster and a lot of manpower can be used to scan images. The attempt by one organisation seemed to have ended without positive results. Guess its too late to restart this approach.

Going by one of the theories I read, if it is forced to land on a remote island, wont satellite imagery detect it? I think a satellite can sweep a greater area compared to a large number of ships doing the same. Perhaps they can be checked one after the other to find if there is any unusual activity. Also, they could even check if any object is washed ashore.
Old 29th May 2014, 22:20   #335
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Sad to see that any kind of lead is leading to a dead end. I would have placed my bet on using satellite images to check for any floating debris over the ocean since thats faster and a lot of manpower can be used to scan images. The attempt by one organisation seemed to have ended without positive results. Guess its too late to restart this approach.

Going by one of the theories I read, if it is forced to land on a remote island, wont satellite imagery detect it? I think a satellite can sweep a greater area compared to a large number of ships doing the same. Perhaps they can be checked one after the other to find if there is any unusual activity. Also, they could even check if any object is washed ashore.
Well, there was actually quite a bit of satellite imagery involved at first:

http://www.universetoday.com/110656/...irline-search/

But it has some limitations and of course, the longer it takes the less likely anything will be afloat.

I'm not sure how many remote island have a runway that can accommodate a 777. If somebody did that intentionally, I would think they would be smart enough to have covered up the plane minutes after landing so it could not be spotted from the air and or space.

I've seen any number of wild theories on these island landings, temporary strips, landing on the beach etc. etc. I find them not very plausible to say the least.

Jeroen
Old 15th June 2014, 10:38   #336
Senior - BHPian

Sydney, June 8 (ANI): A kiwi oil rig worker, who reported spotting a burning plane, assumed to be the missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370, off the Vietnam coast, has been sacked from his position.
Mike McKay, who was working on the Songa Mercur oil rig off the Vietnamese coast in March, when the Boeing 777 jet with 239 passengers and crew went missing, sent an email to his employers after he saw what he believed to be a burning plane, Stuff.co.nz reported.
McKay's email, along with his name and place of work was later leaked to the media following which the rig operator, Idemitsu, and McKay's contractor and rig owner, Songa Offshore were being bombarded with inquiries that was obstructing their communications.
McKay sad that this became intolerable for them and he was removed from the rig and was paid up until the end of his work period, but released from the rig five days early.
McKay said that he believed that he saw the Malaysian Airlines plane come down, adding that the timing was right.
In his email he described his exact location on the oil rig, the compass bearing of where the plane was in relation to the rig, the approximate distance of the plane from the rig, the surface current and wind direction, the report said.
McKay said that the plane was off the normal flight path, explaining he knew that because he saw the contrails every day, the report added. (ANI)

the link: https://in.news.yahoo.com/kiwi-oil-r...134348341.html

Johannesburg, June 14 (ANI): The authors of a new book about the mysterious disappearance of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 claim that the plane tragedy was no accident.
News.com.au reports that Ewan Wilson, a commercial pilot and Waikato Times journalist Geoff Taylor say that their book "Good Night Malaysian 370: The truth behind the loss of Flight 370" will shock the travelling public.
Wilson, a former CEO of two airlines, said that for the first time the duo were presenting a detailed analysis of the flight, the incredible route it took, and who they believe was in charge of the aircraft as it plunged into the Indian Ocean.
Wilson and Taylor reportedly travelled to Malaysia to interview authorities and family members of MH370's pilot, Zaharie Ahmad Shah and investigated every piece of evidence along the way, the report said.
Malaysia Airlines Flight 370, carrying 12 Malaysian crewmembers and 227 passengers was travelling from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing when it went off the radar and lost contact with air traffic control on March 8. (ANI)

the link: https://in.news.yahoo.com/authors-mh...122134378.html

Last edited by vinay kamath : 15th June 2014 at 10:39.
Old 30th June 2014, 11:19   #337
Distinguished - BHPian

Just came across this latest update:

http://avherald.com/h?article=4710c69b/035&opt=0
Old 8th July 2014, 14:00   #338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Flashback to 1985 when Air India 182 was blown up mid air. At the time of the blast in the plane, the officials at ATC heard some noise from the radar before the plane vanished from the screen.182
The Voice picked up from the CVR had that noise not heard by the ATC at Shannon. The ATC guys at Shannon just saw the Air india flight blip vanish away from radar screen all of a sudden with which they raised the alarm.

As far as this plane is concerned it could be either asphyxia with in cabin and Fuel starvation leading to plane spiraling down into the ocean or deliberate tampering of instruments leading to loss of control.

Last edited by sriramr9 : 8th July 2014 at 14:01.
Old 10th August 2014, 13:58   #339
Distinguished - BHPian

A couple of my fellow countrymen will have a go at trying to locate MH370:

http://time.com/3086298/malaysia-air...h-dutch-fugro/

Jeroen
Old 7th October 2014, 15:53   #340
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like the next phase in the search for MH370 is finally getting underway!

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/10/05/wo...ins/index.html

Although they dont mention it here, I read somewhere else, that apart from using sonar and magnetometers they also have probes in the water too look for kerosine traces.

I do hope they find this plane, must be very tough on the families of those who perished.

Jeroen
Old 7th October 2014, 18:17   #341
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Looks like the next phase in the search for MH370 is finally getting underway!

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/10/05/wo...ins/index.html

Although they dont mention it here, I read somewhere else, that apart from using sonar and magnetometers they also have probes in the water too look for kerosine traces.

I do hope they find this plane, must be very tough on the families of those who perished.

Jeroen
Not sure if anyone can authoritatively answer this question, but assuming the plane crashed at sea, isn't it going to be nearly impossible to trace stuff now that ocean currents would've probably shifted debris far off the original impact site?
Old 7th October 2014, 18:26   #342
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Not sure if anyone can authoritatively answer this question, but assuming the plane crashed at sea, isn't it going to be nearly impossible to trace stuff now that ocean currents would've probably shifted debris far off the original impact site?

Not necessarily, it depends a bit. I know that sunken ships have been leaking oil for years, if not decades in some cases. If the plane completely disintegrated its probably becomes impossible. But if a wing sinks to the bottom with some of its tanks still intact, who knows.

Once stuff sinks and settles on the bottom it is much more unlikely to shift. Planes don't float that well and especially when they crash land most of it would sink fairly rapidly.

But i guess we just need to wait and see what truns up. Worst case, it will take them a full year to search the whole area.

Jeroen
Old 10th October 2014, 11:18   #343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivshanker View Post
I am not from the Airline industry, but having worked in the IT Industry a few MRO's for airlines where the backend has been integrated with ACARS.

Apologies, If I am appearing to be preaching, but the whole idea of having ACARS data from the A/C was to reduce workload on crew, improve data quality and availability, just in time spare parts etc. etc.
An Update on ACARS :

Source : Tim Clark's Interview on the Spiegel.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/...-a-996212.html

An excerpt from the interview

SPIEGEL ONLINE: What about other monitoring methods?

Clark: The other means of constantly monitoring the progress of an aircraft is ACARS (Eds. Note: Aircraft Communications Addressing and Reporting System). It is designed primarily for companies to monitor what its planes are doing. We use it to monitor aircraft systems and engine performance. At Emirates, we track every single aircraft from the ground, every component and engine of the aircraft at any point on the planet. Very often, we are able to track systemic faults before the pilots do.

I am responding to my own post!
Old 10th October 2014, 12:45   #344
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivshanker View Post
What about other monitoring methods?

Clark: The other means of constantly monitoring the progress of an aircraft is ACARS (Eds. Note: Aircraft Communications Addressing and Reporting System). It is designed primarily for companies to monitor what its planes are doing. We use it to monitor aircraft systems and engine performance. At Emirates, we track every single aircraft from the ground, every component and engine of the aircraft at any point on the planet. Very often, we are able to track systemic faults before the pilots do.

!
Yes, as discussed before MH370 did have ACARS. In order to monitor continously the plane you need to have some type of radio connection. ACARS needs a radio/transmitter combination to get the data out of the plane! (in the article they talk about transponder)

So that means either VHF voice, HF or via Satelite Communication. (There are some other means as well). The SatCom is used in areas where there are no other effective radiocommunication options, e.g. the plane is flying over an ocean.

Especially for the SatCom there is a cost to the useage. To this date I read conflicting stories whether MH used ACARS during transocean flights as part of their SOP. The plane had both ACARS and SatCom equipment installed as far as I'm aware

Even so, as you might recall it appears as the SatCom got disabled on the MH370. So no matter whether they had ACARS set up for Satlink, it was switched off early on in the flight it seems. All what was left were these more or less signal pingings to and from satelite/plane on which they have calculate the currrent search area.

Even with SatCom you might not have continuous coverage, or continuous monitoring. Typically when the plane banks more than 10 degree you lose the SatCom.

In addition, altitude plays a role well. The higher you fly the more difficult it becomes to track Inmarsat as they have geostationary satelites. Iridium is less difficult, but there are gaps in their global coverage to start with, despite their theoretical global coverage.

Also, when the system needs to handover from one satelite to the next, sometimes that fails. If there is a big thunderstorm in the line of sight to the satelite (just above the horizon) you might experience problems too.

For current use of ACARS all of the above is not a problem at all. Once communication is re-established it will happily (re)start sending all the data as well. Nobody needs all the data instantly, doesnt matter if it's delayed for a few minutes or even more.

What the article fails to mention is that neither ACARS, but more specifically the Satelite systems were not designed with this specific requirement (continuous, uninterrupted data transmission) in the first place!

As usual, in reality these things tend to be a little bit more complex then some articles might lead us to believe.

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 10th October 2014 at 12:50.
Old 23rd December 2014, 11:10   #345
RSR
Senior - BHPian

The truth (and not the official balderdash, believed only by those who have gulped down the kool-aid) about what happened to MH370 would eventually come out one day, even if it happens to be terribly late. It has to! This allegation by Monsieur Marc Dugain may be the first inkling of the truth about the ill-fated airliner. I hope the truth eventually does come out.

http://malaysiandigest.com/frontpage...line-boss.html

Quote:
A former airline boss and writer claims the U.S. downed Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 because the military feared it had been taken over by hackers and was about to be used in a 9/11-style attack.

Marc Dugain, the former chief executive of now-defunct Proteus Airlines, said the jumbo jet was shot down near a U.S. military base on the remote island of Diego Garcia in the Indian Ocean after it was hacked.

The Senegal-born Frenchman, who is now a successful novelist, also told a radio station he was warned not to investigate MH370 by an intelligence source, who spoke of 'risks' and counselled him to 'let time do its work'.
Such a terrible fate for MH370 (or one similar to that alleged by M. Dugain) may also turn out to be the reason why the despicable criminals (and their cold-blooded murderous land grabbing backers) who shot down MH17 may never be bought to justice (I mean human built justice systems, for the vile mass-murdering scoundrels shall surely get their deserved comeuppance from the heavens).

Last edited by RSR : 23rd December 2014 at 11:12.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks