Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2014, 10:54   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Malaysian Airlines Boeing 777 (MH370) goes missing

This is a very mysterious occurance. There is absolutely no trace of the plane and some reports articles say the passengers phone are reachable and are ringing !
http://www.firstpost.com/world/live-...d-1424627.html
Old 11th March 2014, 11:06   #17
Senior - BHPian

Thats unfortunate incident in the aviation industry.

There was some news a couple of days back that there were some indications of something which seemed like the airline door floating in the China sea. There were also rumours that the airline was hijacked by terrorists which was backed by the news that there were case of people boarding due to stolen passports. That the pilot was an aviation geek with a flight simulator at his place.
Old 11th March 2014, 11:09   #18
BHPian

Re: Air France Plane goes missing!!! 228 feared dead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
There were many incidents in which some stray missile during training exercise (intentional or unintentional) hit the civilian aircraft. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...down_incidents

However, at this point of time this is all speculation for this missing jet. Hope some clue people should get asap to find out exact reason of crash.
I will not argue with you on the speculation front, as we are not trying to determine whose speculations skills are better, your's or mine.

I will also not argue on the fact that we should find out the reason for the 777 crash ASAP, if there is a flaw with the design (VV Remote possibility) then corrective action needs to be taken.

But what I will like to debate is, in today technological age, (agree the A/C is yet to be found) a stray missile finding a target at FL350 on a busy route is very remote. This is a very busy Air corridor with flights coming into KL from the Far East such as Macau, HK, Taiwan etc. etc.

If this was a stray missile, then the question would be whose is it.?
Old 11th March 2014, 11:42   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Nobody has a clue yet. Remember a few years ago the AirFrance plane that chrashed into the ocean. The authorities knew much more about that plane and it still took them 5 days to find the spot where it went into the ocean.

There are lots of rumours and so flying; I keep tab on this one, as at least most of the members are pilots and or affiliated with the aviation industry:\

http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/5...tact-lost.html

Jeroen
Old 11th March 2014, 12:04   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Nobody has a clue yet. Remember a few years ago the AirFrance plane that chrashed into the ocean. The authorities knew much more about that plane and it still took them 5 days to find the spot where it went into the ocean.

There are lots of rumours and so flying; I keep tab on this one, as at least most of the members are pilots and or affiliated with the aviation industry:\

http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/5...tact-lost.html

Jeroen
Sometimes it takes months, years to locate the debris. If you recollect the death of Dr Homi Bhabha in 1966 in a flight crash , the debris was never found. Mountaineers while trekking found out parts of the debris over a period of time.
Old 11th March 2014, 12:45   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post

That is not entirely correct. It took about five days in case of the AF flight to find the approx place it had gone down, ie locating floating debris. So after five days they knew where the plane crashed. It took them two years to actually locate the blax boxes on the bottom of the ocean and retrieve them.

It was a complicated find and retrieve mission due to to the depth.

Jeroen
Thanks for correcting me.
The weird part is that few links carry a news that relatives were able to connect to the passengers mobile, but no one picked up. Wonder if that is a rumour.

This is more like a old thriller in which a plane is hijacked and taken to a uncharted island. Was that Tintin in Flight 714?
Old 11th March 2014, 12:55   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Malaysian Airlines Boeing 777 (MH370) goes missing

Something must have gone wrong very very fast! Something which did not give the pilots enough time to raise a 'Mayday' call. A couple of things come to my mind

1. There was an explosion of some sort in mid air which disintegrated the aircraft completely

2. Mechanical failures like the rear stabilizer linkages snapping would result in the elevator to get stuck in down position resulting in a nose down dive. The G forces in such case would be enormous for the pilots to even more their hands let alone speak.Eventually would have led to the red out and pilots could have passed off. But 777 being a modern aircraft , such things would have been kept in mind while designing
Old 11th March 2014, 13:39   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Something must have gone wrong very very fast! Something which did not give the pilots enough time to raise a 'Mayday' call. A couple of things come to my mind

1. There was an explosion of some sort in mid air which disintegrated the aircraft completely

2. Mechanical failures like the rear stabilizer linkages snapping would result in the elevator to get stuck in down position resulting in a nose down dive. The G forces in such case would be enormous for the pilots to even more their hands let alone speak.Eventually would have led to the red out and pilots could have passed off. But 777 being a modern aircraft , such things would have been kept in mind while designing
Even if there was an explosion, at the ATC they would have heard some noise. Flashback to 1985 when Air India 182 was blown up mid air. At the time of the blast in the plane, the officials at ATC heard some noise from the radar before the plane vanished from the screen.

I think Malaysian flight would have disintegrated in mid air similar to flight 182

Last edited by suresh_gs : 11th March 2014 at 13:42.
Old 11th March 2014, 13:56   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Even if there was an explosion, at the ATC they would have heard some noise. Flashback to 1985 when Air India 182 was blown up mid air. At the time of the blast in the plane, the officials at ATC heard some noise from the radar before the plane vanished from the screen.

I think Malaysian flight would have disintegrated in mid air similar to flight 182
You mean, the aircraft all of a sudden disintegrated mid air?

It's indeed surprising with all technological advances that we are yet to find the debris, let alone know the cause of this incident.

I'm no expert with aviation but there must be some mechanism/warning which should have informed the pilot/co-pilot of a life threatening issues for atelast 10-15 seconds
Old 11th March 2014, 14:07   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Beat View Post
You mean, the aircraft all of a sudden disintegrated mid air?

It's indeed surprising with all technological advances that we are yet to find the debris, let alone know the cause of this incident.

I'm no expert with aviation but there must be some mechanism/warning which should have informed the pilot/co-pilot of a life threatening issues for atelast 10-15 seconds
A bomb on board can cause the primary explosion followed by the explosive decompression leading to the disintegration of the aircraft within seconds.

But post 9/11, the security measures are advanced enough to identify any potential explosives in the cargo! So its highly unlikely for a bomb to enter the cargo hold.
Old 11th March 2014, 14:13   #26
BHPian

This is currently the biggest mystery in aviation industry only next to the Stardust "STENDEC". I pray it won't remain a mystery as the other one. I don't rule out anything - including the latest conspiracy theory that the flight landed in N.Korea. But if you ask me,

The plane crashed but in a different location than the current search zone. Say, somewhere in Indian Ocean.

(or a weird, unbelievable but probable hypothesis)

A system failure which shutdown most of the control, all communication equipment, loss of Oxygen, the pilot in his last few minutes of consciousness, tries a 'Hudson' maneuver, manages it, the plane in ocean with no structural damage but almost fully submerged with no chance of opening the emergency hatches or no time to react with no one conscious enough. Well... if the phone ringing is true, that's what I could explain at the best. When authorities tried, the phones were not reachable. So, it could be a brief window where the phones were able to pick the signal before going deep into the Ocean, intact. Even if true, I can't answer all questions from the above theory.

There could be thousands of explanations behind this mystery. But what baffles me most is that, how in the world we don't have a technology to fill such gaps. Where exactly are we limited?
Old 11th March 2014, 14:21   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post

You can't hear with a radar, only "see". Air traffic control can only hear the flight if they are broadcasting on the right frequency within range. What you "see" with a radar depends on what kind of radar you're using.

Radar comes broadly speaking into two variants when talking about commercial aviation.

The first one is the very classic type of radar, usually called primary rader or similar. The plane bounces back a reflection of the rader signal that shows up on the raderscreen.
The second type, usually called secondary and or surveillance radar is actually a transmitter that when it receives the rader signal, transmits various parameters back to radar. E.g. callsign, altitude, speed, heading.

This second one is actually set by the cockpit crew on the so-called transponder. It's a four digit number. If you switch it off, you won't show up on the respective rader anymore, unless you're in range of a primary radar signal.

see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transponder_(aviation)

Note on the wikipedia page that there are three codes, 7500, 7600, 7700 that are emergency codes and represent respectively hijack, lost comms and emergency. The idea being that the crew can dial in the applicable code and that will show up on the ATC radar screen and they will have some sort of sence what is going on, without any words spoken. Not sure how effective the 7500 code has been / is. Modern Hijackers usually now this and will ensure no message goes out. I've had to use the lost comms code once.

There are also other ways on how modern planes get tracked, (E.g. ADS)

But appears that no electronic communications was made in any way and that the secondary radar lost contact. Either somebody on purpose switched everything off, or some catastrophic event happened which disable everything at a moments notice.

Catastrophic event is often associated with a bomb exploding. But there have been other instances of catastrophic events. Remember the Comet? Several planes disappeared misteriously before they all got grounded and they actually found the problem, fatigue in the fuselage/wings. Also, there was a case (I believe a TWA 747) that blew up mid air. That was an explosion in an empty centre tank with wonky wires that sparked.

I've yet to see this one pop up on the media, but there is a Boeing Airworthiness Directive, dealing with cracking of the fuselage skin. Remarkably it is exactly where the Satcom antenna is located!

http://www.4-traders.com/SATCOM-SYST...anes-18048218/

All speculation so far. Very puzzling and I cant even begin to imagine the anguish and stress of the families and friends of the passengers and crew.

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 11th March 2014 at 14:24.
Old 11th March 2014, 15:10   #28
Senior - BHPian

DigitalGlobe has made available its high resolution images for search. About 25K people have enrolled to search the images.

Hopefully something will be found. They should try to put a satellite transmitter with its own battery that would keep reporting every second with altitude and location.

At least, something to help locate the plane whether fine or not. Not sure how useful the beacon sent by black box is useful under water or when you dont know even the specific area.
Old 11th March 2014, 16:19   #29
BHPian

Yes, expecting the miracles to happen.
Attached Thumbnails
Malaysian Airlines Boeing 777 (MH370) goes missing-praysformalasiyanmissingplane.jpg  

Old 11th March 2014, 16:20   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivshanker View Post

d) There seems to be no correlation between the Civil Aviation and the Military Radars on the timing issue. The Military issues a statement that their Radar noticed the plane started to turn back just before the Crash.

Today, the Malaysian military has said this:

"It changed course after Kota Bharu and took a lower altitude. It made it into the Malacca Strait," the military official, who has been briefed on investigations, told Reuters.

source:http://news.yahoo.com/malaysia-milit...6--sector.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks