Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2018, 13:56   #31
BHPian

Re: The 'Child Adoption' Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejas08 View Post

As much as I want to share my cute little angel's photo with this beautiful community, I have tried to not upload any photos of her yet on a very public forum.
Thank you Tejas, Your post made my day. I never had any idea that the Government of India had a governing body for adoptions. A revelation to me.

Had a few queries if you would be kind to clarify ::

1. Do you get to give a preference on the age of child you want to adopt ? As you have been through this process what is the age group of children who are mostly preferred for adoption ?

2. What do they look for in home inspections ?

This is for my personal knowledge.

Regards
Dieseltuned
Old 7th February 2018, 15:03   #32
BHPian

Congratulations Mr & Mrs Tejas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enobarbus View Post
Yes indeed, nature has strange ways and sometimes, some people get the raw end.
One of my friends was born to poor parents
To his credit, he rose from the adversity to become extremely successful in life. I am proud to say he is my friend.
Such parents deserve to be eliminated . How uncouth and selfish can people get. I hope the real kids come to know their parents disgraceful act and disown them. KARMA is real.

Quote:
A cousin of mine and his wife could not conceive a child they wanted very much. So they adopted a boy. So far so good. Lad grows to age of 4. And then viola my cousin's wife conceives and another boy came along. Both my nephews are full grown men now. Nature has strange ways.
We too have a similar case in our family. My Uncle adopted a girl and then had a boy. Both are wonderful adults now.

With reference to having doubts about not disclosing the adoptive status, I have 2 examples of kids ( both in 40's now ), where things went sour after having found out from outside about themselves. It is always a good idea to condition the kid about his status and every counselor will re-enforce this nowadays.
Old 7th February 2018, 20:09   #33
BHPian

The children have a right to know, so yes! The sooner this discussion is had with the child, the better. If they're very young to understand the conversation, its better to say it to them in the form of a story (why he/she is a heart baby) and keep repeating it every now and then until they understand.
Old 7th February 2018, 20:45   #34
BHPian

Thank You Everybody for the Wishes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_antony View Post
Awesome, Congrats Tejas. The process looks terrifying though. I had always wanted to do this, I have a belief that its my purpose of life, but I have an issue : my wife is not for it, she is afraid if she would be able to treat him / her equal to our own kids. I am trying my best to convince her, but don't want to force her. I am waiting patiently that she will change one day.
If a person loves children, they would never want to differentiate between children. Having said that one needs to prepare mentally for adopting a child than physically or financially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakkum13 View Post
Well done and congrats Tejas and better half. Thanks to people like you, children who otherwise would have to spend their lives devoid of parental love, are now blessed.
I just hope, at least a few others get inspired (Ideally wouldn't like to call it inspiration) to go for adoption. This would help in a long way to reduce the number of children in orphanages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruchitya View Post
Came to the thread thinking you bought a pre-owned vehicle! Not disappointed though. Wish you all the very best.
Where's that Facepalm Icon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityslicker86 View Post
thanks for highlighting the updates in the process. Very useful info. My wife and I have deliberated (albeit lightly) adopting a child. Your post will help people like us. On a lighter note, if the wait is reduced from 1.5-2 years to 9 months, then the waiting period will be on par with waiting period for child birth and there will be no complaints
I could have indicated the calculations of 1.5 years to have a child, but then it is not a good idea on this forum.

On a more serious note, the adopted child would never be less than 4 Months as there are many other formalities before the child is made available for adoption which takes it's own sweet time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
Thank you Tejas, Your post made my day. I never had any idea that the Government of India had a governing body for adoptions. A revelation to me.

Had a few queries if you would be kind to clarify ::

1. Do you get to give a preference on the age of child you want to adopt ? As you have been through this process what is the age group of children who are mostly preferred for adoption ?

2. What do they look for in home inspections ?

This is for my personal knowledge.

Regards
Dieseltuned
1. Yes! You get to opt for the child's age provided you and your wife fit in the age bracket of the parents. The rules are very well defined on the CARA website www.cara.nic.in

2. Home inspection isn't only a physical home inspection, but Prospective Adoptive Parents' educational background, family members, financials, Professional background, house & locality of the house etc.

I would be happy to help anybody on the process, if they ever go down this route. Feel free to PM me.
Old 8th February 2018, 00:45   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Having said that one needs to prepare mentally for adopting a child than physically or financially.
Yet nobody ever needed any training, certification or approval to get pregnant!

Actually, back when my parents did it in UK, adoption was easy. There was not a lot of formality. My parents had a letter of recommendation from a doctor... who was a relative anyway! Friends of mine who adopted a daughter just a few years ago were put through gruelling preparation and approval procedures. Very tough.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2018, 16:17   #36
BHPian

Congratulations Tejas, and thanks for making this sleeping thread live again. This will definitely help many people around with your update on new laws and process regarding adoptions. All the best to proud parents and blessings to your cute little angel.
Old 10th February 2018, 20:17   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am delighted to share my experience on this topic because me & my wife recently concluded the adoption process of a cute little angel.
Congrats Mr & Mrs. Tejas. Awfully happy to read an adoption story in T-bhp. Wishing you all the happiness, joy and frustrations and tearing of your hair from parenthood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Of course, I am very much in favour of adoption. My adopted parents gave me life just as much as the mother that brought me into the world. As I was adopted as an small infant, I have no memory of any other mother or father apart from the ones that adopted me.
Thad, so nice of you to share this. You have always written a lot about your parents and your upbringing in your posts
Old 10th February 2018, 23:00   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Thad, so nice of you to share this. You have always written a lot about your parents and your upbringing in your posts
Thank you. They were both great drivers!
Old 11th February 2018, 00:23   #39
BHPian

@tejas08: You got to have some kind heart for it! Congratulations! Wish you and your family a happy parenting!
Old 13th February 2018, 15:12   #40
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to Nishka for sharing a helpful comment via this Team-BHP page!

Quote:
I came across the 'Child Adoption' Thread. I have some insight into this and so, I wanted to let the OP know one very important thing to consider - visa status.

Since the adoptive parents in the OP's post are green card holders; any child adopted from India will NOT be eligible for a dependent US visa. Obviously, without a US visa, the adopted child cannot move to the US with the parents. The only way an adopted child can get valid travel documents to travel to the US is if the Green Card couple adopts after becoming US citizens. I hope this helps.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2018, 01:02   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks to Nishka for sharing a helpful comment via this Team-BHP page!
Thanks for the update and the info - GTO and the person who provided this info. Yes, seems like that is causing some agony in the process. Sadly, can do nothing about it other than wait. Or make some big moves. Thanks again.
naveenroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 02:21   #42
BHPian

We are happy to share that we've registered to adopt a baby girl (she'll likely be a few months old when we get her!).

The thought process came from wanting to bring a daughter into our family and fulfilling a long held dream of mine. My wife had a chance to teach at orphanages for a few years and would love to bring a baby up as our own. In turn, I'm sure she'll light our lives up and we'll be better parents for it.

We look forward to your support and love as a new family member comes on board in 2-3 years.

Please do share any resources that will help us prepare for this journey.
Sudarshan42 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 07:15   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I am delighted to share my experience on this topic because me & my wife recently concluded the adoption process of a cute little angel.
Hearty congratulations albeit several years late. I hope the little child is running rings around both of you and keeping you on your toes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Adopted child here! Every child needs two things: to be physically brought into the world, and to be nurtured and cared for until they grow up. It does not have to be done by the same people.
Thank you for sharing this wonderful fact.
V.Narayan is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks