Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2014, 21:48   #16
BHPian

Re: Pictures of Bombay from the 70's & 80's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
An aerial view - the photo looks older than it probably is:
Really a treasure rehaan, Thanks for posting the valuable ones. I am sure this pic is from mid 90's as well. Am i right ???

I have few more from my side. Help in tagging the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures of Bombay from the 70's & 80's-india0731.jpg  

Pictures of Bombay from the 70's & 80's-india0721-garbage-collection-strike.jpg  

Pictures of Bombay from the 70's & 80's-india0636.jpg  

Old 23rd January 2015, 16:37   #17
BHPian

Could any Mumbaikar please help post a pic of BelAir Apartments situated in Bandra (Pali Hill).

This is one of the many iconic buildings built around 1969/70 timeline for the Air India Staff back then. Where many of THE then captain's/commanders of Air India International fleet resided. (E.g. Capt Hanse Singh Narendra).

Wanted to see how it looked like in flesh ? Pl Help Bhpian's in Bandra Area.
Old 21st June 2015, 18:24   #18
BHPian

Wanted to post the valuable Video Link uploaded by Global street Scenes, Bombay in 1970's Video.
Old 29th November 2015, 15:20   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramr9 View Post
Could any Mumbaikar please help post a pic of BelAir Apartments situated in Bandra (Pali Hill).
It should be Bombayite, IMO.

Incidentally, our '72 FIAT 1100D was re registered to Pali Hill, Bandra, circa 1980. Car was originally bought in Madras.

That aside, although I do have many pics of Bombay from the yesteryears, for now- I'll share this link.

A must read- for any Bombayite. Who has seen this city through the ages. Seen it change. Sigh, things may have changed, but not necessarily for the better. The Flora Fountain is still there. Sigh, gotto love that area!

Kindly refer to: http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/lead...cle7924214.ece

The spirit of Bombay and all it represented will forever live in us Bombayites. All hail the city of seven islands!

Last edited by FINTAIL : 29th November 2015 at 15:24.
Old 29th November 2015, 21:15   #20
BHPian

I lived in Mumbai in the 70s and 80s until the late 90s and most of the pictures remind me of Bombay as it used to be back then. I still remember the squalor, the slums and the garbage all around and I wasn't surprised to see a few pictures of garbage strewn around.

Back then, I came across a few pictures from the 50s and 60s of Marine Drive, Crawford Market, Fort area, Mahim and I would be in awe of the cleanliness and the empty roadways. I even came across some pictures of trams that used to run in the middle of the street in Dadar IIRC and I was nostalgic of those times. I wish forum members could see those pictures as well.

I have one request and I am not sure if it fits the title of this thread. I left Mumbai over 15 years ago and have not gone back since. I have been told that Mumbai has changed a lot in the meanwhile. I wish someone could post contemporary pictures of Mumbai especially of Chembur which used to be my old stomping grounds. Alternatively if someone could post links where such pictures are available, I would be grateful.
Old 29th November 2015, 21:55   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post

I have one request and I am not sure if it fits the title of this thread. I left Mumbai over 15 years ago and have not gone back since. I have been told that Mumbai has changed a lot in the meanwhile. I wish someone could post contemporary pictures of Mumbai especially of Chembur which used to be my old stomping grounds. Alternatively if someone could post links where such pictures are available, I would be grateful.
For now; here's something worth viewing:

Realty prices have shot up a lot in the area, partially owing to the construction of the SCLR (Santa CruzChembur Link Road)
FINTAIL is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2015, 22:25   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
For now; here's something worth viewing:
Thanks a lot for the video. Chembur has changed a lot, so much so that I couldn't recognize where in Chembur this was shot. Could you give me an idea?
Old 24th April 2016, 16:35   #23
BHPian

One more rare Films Division Video on Destination Bombay taken sometime in 1976. It showcases the cricket stadium, Air india's then Flagship airplane Emporer Vikramaditya (Boeing 747 200).

Most Viewed