Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2006, 15:07   #1
BHPian

Experiences with New Kids(Drivers) on the block

Hi Guys,

How do you react to the new drivers (in their new cars with L board) in the road?
How will be your reaction towards them?
Do tend to move slow behind them or will you ride fast to overtake them and have a great escape .

Share your experiences with these category of drivers.

Thanks
Old 13th July 2006, 15:15   #2
Senior - BHPian

well i just keep in mind that i was one of them a few years ago
Old 13th July 2006, 15:31   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dceite
well i just keep in mind that i was one of them a few years ago
exactly. when i was learning in gurgaon. people would honk wildly and overtake me a lot when I was in the training school car. however when I was practising in my own car it wasnt that bad. i remember how nervous i used to get when people started honking and so try to avoid scaring new drivers
Old 13th July 2006, 15:36   #4
BANNED

Well I usually rev really hard and tailgate them until I see the tears in their eyes...just kidding, I give them lots of space and try to overtake as soon as is safely possible without freaking them out.
Old 13th July 2006, 15:38   #5
BHPian

I have had the same experience too.There can be 2 view points.If they don't do any drastic mistakes, its okay.But people should try to udnerstand that they all came from these situations.

I have seen many times, the cab drivers who honk continuoulsy behind these people (if their cars engine is switched off or when they try to trake reverse etc.)
Old 13th July 2006, 17:39   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How do you react to the new drivers (in their new cars with L board) in the road?
Just like I would react to any other person driving. i.e. I don't make any extra efforts to be nice or try giving them hard time.
Old 13th July 2006, 17:50   #7
BHPian

Just overtake them as soon as I can. Better for you, and better for them
Old 13th July 2006, 19:51   #8
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Get away from them as soon as possible...
Old 13th July 2006, 19:57   #9
Senior - BHPian

Ususally maintain a safe distance from them until I see a good passing oppurtunity and then with a slight honk to let the learner know my presence, overtake him as fast as possible!!
Old 14th July 2006, 07:23   #10
BHPian

i was one of them a five years ago and drive a bit away from them
Old 14th July 2006, 18:27   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava
Ususally maintain a safe distance from them until I see a good passing oppurtunity and then with a slight honk to let the learner know my presence, overtake him as fast as possible!!
The same thing I does
Old 19th July 2006, 15:58   #12
BHPian

Just thought of something I came across on a forum on the 'net, while doing some research on 4x4s.

This kid in the US had posted a query to the forum which went something like this..

"hi, just wanted your opinion on this. We have an old Ford pick-up on our farm, and it hasn't been used for a few years. I was thinking of maybe taking it, modding it and using it as my daily ride. Just one concern, though..

Inside the cab, the transmission stick doesn't have the usual markings of P,R,N,D, but has numbers 1 to 5 and R. Is this the same thing? Someone please help.."

I found that really hilarious, but by the replies posted by the others, this seems to be quite a usual mistake for a new driver to make. People were explaining what a 'stick shift' was, and one guy even had a detailed post on how to drive a manual car.

Boy, thank God for all the manual trannies we've all been brought up on. Can you imagine one of these people having to drive a Mahindra or an old Ambassador??

Also used to have this in college, when my Roadking was famous for being available. I had no qualms about others riding my bike as I knew it could take it. I've had people take the key from me (after agreeing to the usual instruction of 'Give it back with at least 1 litre petrol') and then coming back after half-an-hour and asking 'Where's the kick start lever??'

He would be instantly crossed off the lend-bike-to list..

Most Viewed