Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2016, 11:25   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Indian Railways: Premium Train Fare higher than a Flight!

Just a small input from my end to clear the confusion between airline and railways dynamic pricing. Airline dynamic pricing is a simple factor of demand versus available seats. It changes as the travel date/time approaches. For example for any particular day if there are say 1000 seats between 5 airlines for a trip from Bombay to Delhi. The average price per ticket is say 5000 Rs. As we approach to a day before travel date, the total available seats is 200. But among the 5 airlines operating, airline 1/2 have all seats filled. Airline 3/4 have 50 seats each available and airline 5 has 100 seats still vacant. So dynamic pricing wise, airline 3/4 will charge say 7000/10000 per seat and maybe airline 5 will still charge 5000/6000 per seat until it gets to filling its seats and the last 10 seats may go to 15000 or so. So no airline can form cartels and fix prices.

However railways with only single operator increasing ticket pricing as travel date approaches stinks of extortion.
Old 29th February 2016, 08:50   #47
Senior - BHPian

Not too sure if this is the right thread to use for my query, but as I am not able to locate any other relevant threads, thought of putting it here.

I intend to travel from HWH to ASN and for that I have booked a seat in the Howrah Ranchi Shatabdi express. The main reason for choosing this train over others is that I have not yet travelled in any Shatabdi. The distance from HWH to ASN is a mere 200 kms and the fare of my ticket is ₹520/-

Is there any distance bar on this train? Also is distance bar still prevelant in any trains?

Best regards,
Old 4th March 2016, 00:12   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
Not too sure if this is the right thread to use for my query, but as I am not able to locate any other relevant threads, thought of putting it here.

I intend to travel from HWH to ASN and for that I have booked a seat in the Howrah Ranchi Shatabdi express. The main reason for choosing this train over others is that I have not yet travelled in any Shatabdi. The distance from HWH to ASN is a mere 200 kms and the fare of my ticket is ₹520/-

Is there any distance bar on this train? Also is distance bar still prevelant in any trains?

Best regards,
Majumdarda
Hi
Checked on a website which gives seat availability on the railways.
Yes, you can travel by the Shatabdi(Dep 06.05 hours) and as of now 51 seats in the CC and 14 in AI are available.
Incidentally if a ticket is issued by the railways you have nothing to worry about
Regards

Last edited by faustus77 : 4th March 2016 at 00:13.
Old 31st October 2019, 22:17   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Indian Railways looks to have expanded the selection from Premium trains to festival Special trains too and has started Dynamic pricing too. A family member traveled on one such Diwali special train, and had paid about 40% more than regular fare for that section. The booking was done about 2 weeks before Diwali. On the journey, some people who booked at the last minute said that the fare they paid was 3x the regular fare.

No more a public transport service ! Good in a way, because regular passenger fares are below cost. But doesnt this level of dynamic pricing cross over to profiteering ?
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2023, 10:35   #50
Oxy
BHPian

Not only this, there's a phenomenon of reducing the number of Sleeper coaches significantly on many trains, and in turn replace those with AC coaches. So if someone who cannot afford an AC ticket fare, he/she would be forced to shell out that amount (usually 3x) when fail to grab one of the Sleeper berths early enough.

On a side note (little off topic), I am planning a long (40 plus hours) solo train journey in a few months. I see only one major hassle - cleanliness of toilets in trains. Is this manageable over a long journey, considering you'd need to take a dump a couple of times as well during a journey that long? And are toilets in the Sleeper class many magnitude worse than the ones in the AC coaches?

I know flights are just convenient but nostalgia has kicked in for some reason and somehow I feel an urge to experience a long train journey.
Old 10th April 2023, 10:27   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
I see only one major hassle - cleanliness of toilets in trains. Is this manageable over a long journey,
While IR has come a long way in terms of the travel experience, and I'm a huge fan of train travel, cleanliness is still a bit of a hit-or-miss. Some trains, they do clean the toilets regularly, so they are very usable. Rajdhani trains are always good with this. Usually for all trains, they do a major clean at big stations, so your best bet is to time your bathroom visits just after a halt at a major station. Some trains have the number of the housekeeping company displayed in the coaches, you can send an SMS if you require the staff to clean the toilet. It's worked a couple of times, but again, a hit-or-miss.

Quote:
And are toilets in the Sleeper class many magnitude worse than the ones in the AC coaches?
Unfortunately, yes. I usually travel by 3/2 AC, but once in a while I do use the SL when I'm travelling with friends who prefer SL, and I'm not fussy, but I don't really enjoy the experience!

Quote:
I know flights are just convenient but nostalgia has kicked in for some reason and somehow I feel an urge to experience a long train journey.
For overnight train journeys, I'd recommend train any day. Anything up to 24hrs can be fun in an AC compartment.

For a 40-hr journey, even as a person who hates taking flights (hassles of getting to the airport, inefficient security check, bad handling by overworked airline staff, etc.), I'd say go with the flight. Or opt for 2nd AC for the train journey.

Last edited by am1m : 10th April 2023 at 10:30.
am1m is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th April 2023, 11:52   #52
BHPian

Quote:

On a side note (little off topic), I am planning a long (40 plus hours) solo train journey in a few months. I see only one major hassle - cleanliness of toilets in trains. ...somehow I feel an urge to experience a long train journey.
Me too. The train that I am eyeing is the 12295 Bangalore Patna Sangamitra express. I have never been to those parts of the country. So a very vague plan would be to go by 2AC, see touristy sites for a couple of days and return by flight.
Old 10th April 2023, 12:25   #53
PVS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
Me too. The train that I am eyeing is the 12295 Bangalore Patna Sangamitra express. I have never been to those parts of the country. So a very vague plan would be to go by 2AC, see touristy sites for a couple of days and return by flight.
Make sure you reserve your 2A berths well in advance, this train has HA1, A1 and A2 (Second AC Coaches), if you get to travel in the 2A portion of the HA1 coach, you can be assured of a slightly better degree of privacy. (You can indicate the preferred coach at the time of booking your journey) LHB coaches have pronounced jerks especially during acceleration or deceleration, so keep that in mind. On board House keeping [OBHS] services do exist on a majority of the trains, however be prepared for stinky toilets. Tweet @Railmadad on Twitter in case of any issues with Toilet cleanliness and upkeep. This train does have a Pantry car, but you would be better off ordering your food from Private caterers or carry your own food.

This train runs packed throughout, but since you intend to travel 2A, you should be ok. 3AC and Sleeper coaches in this train usually are packed.
PVS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2023, 13:03   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am planning a long (40 plus hours) solo train journey in a few months.
You can look at ratings on Indiarailinfo, which is usually close to expectation. If you are looking at a long haul train, you can think of Agartala Humsafar which ambles around for a good 61 hours, since the north eastern sections are done at crawling speeds.

I would say, the challenge would be planning and getting leaves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
A family member traveled on one such Diwali special train, and had paid about 40% more than regular fare for that section. The booking was done about 2 weeks before Diwali.
For a major festival like Diwali, am surprised he got tickets 2 weeks before and travelled at 40% premium. Bus tickets are 200-300% premium minimum with uber inflated travel times.

If you want to travel on a budget during festival or holiday times, you have to plan your ticket booking dates according to the advanced reservation opening days
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2023, 14:10   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Not only this, there's a phenomenon of reducing the number of Sleeper coaches significantly on many trains, and in turn replace those with AC coaches.
This is quite true, but it is actually a good move for those who can afford it. Travelling in SL these days are horrible. You have to deal with all kinds on morons; people using mobiles without headsets, people not turning off lights even at midnight, people with general/season ticket getting into SL coaches and using our seats etc. etc. Few months back wife pushed me to book SL tickets just to save money, but after out travel experience she regretted making that decision . When she mentioned the experience to her brother working in railways he was teasing her telling even people who have little money travel by 3A.

Quote:
And are toilets in the Sleeper class many magnitude worse than the ones in the AC coaches?
Yes, with out a doubt. If you are so particular in travelling by SL coaches, book the SL coach which is next to 3A coaches and use the (There is an option in IRCTC to book a specific coach)toilets on the 3A coach.
d.w.w. is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2023, 07:04   #56
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
If you are looking at a long haul train, you can think of Agartala Humsafar which ambles around for a good 61 hours
Thanks, this seems ideal as it halts at New Jalpaiguri, from where I can head onto Sikkim/Darjeeling. However, this entire train only has 3A class, so no 2A available on this one.

There's one more train called New Tinsukia express (22501) and it costs lesser than this.

SMVB to NJP on Agartala Humsafar: Rs.2645 (for 3A class).
SMVB to NJP on New Tinsukia: Rs.2315 (for 3A class).

Both trains seem to be following the same route as well.

Do you know why this fare difference of Rs.330 exists? Does the Humsafar provide anything extra in terms of facilities? The Humsafar is bi-weekly while the New Tinsukia operates only once a week (has all classes available though).

Last edited by Oxy : 11th April 2023 at 07:09.
Old 13th April 2023, 09:17   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like IR is trying to improve their revenue by offering more higher-value services, like adding more vistadome coaches. Initially was wondering if that made sense, but according to this news article, the vistadome has had a good response. "Vistadome coaches have been running with 100pc occupancy to all trains where they have been attached" (https://www.mid-day.com/mumbai/mumba...-ends-23280454)

Good to see IR thinking about improving revenue, it's hard to walk the balance between providing affordable tickets so they can perform the role of a mass people mover and also be economically viable. Providing these more expensive services to those who can afford them is a good way to go. I hope they don't lose sight of the other, more vital, people-mover aspect too and also upgrade the quality of facilities provided there as well. Starting with equally clean toilets for the SL class compartments.
Old 17th April 2023, 11:08   #58
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
If you are looking at a long haul train, you can think of Agartala Humsafar which ambles around for a good 61 hours,
Pleasantly surprised to learn that I can board this train from Whitefield. Since I am put up in Kadugodi, that station is a 10 minute walk from where I live.

Will plan something during the monsoon, late August-ish. That should be a good time for a backpack tour to Sikkim.

Thanks a ton for all the help and guidance!
Oxy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2023, 12:10   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Looks like IR is trying to improve their revenue by offering more higher-value services, like adding more vistadome coaches. Initially was wondering if that made sense, but according to this news article, the vistadome has had a good response. "Vistadome coaches have been running with 100pc occupancy to all trains where they have been attached" (https://www.mid-day.com/mumbai/mumba...-ends-23280454)

Good to see IR thinking about improving revenue, it's hard to walk the balance between providing affordable tickets so they can perform the role of a mass people mover and also be economically viable. Providing these more expensive services to those who can afford them is a good way to go. I hope they don't lose sight of the other, more vital, people-mover aspect too and also upgrade the quality of facilities provided there as well. Starting with equally clean toilets for the SL class compartments.
I took Vistadome this March end from Mumbai to Pune and back.
The coaches were full and sold out approx 1 week prior to journey.
Ofcourse my travel was on holiday (Gudi PAdwa) and Sunday - so my assessment may not be entirely correct.
Vistadome fare was about Rs 850, AC Chair car was about Rs 350: but the airiness in the cabin, large swivel seats and in general great quality (better than aircrafts) and novelty factor made me book the vistadomes.
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2024, 11:20   #60
Oxy
BHPian

Do Rajdhani and Duronto offer a similar travel experience, or is one more reliable than the other?

I am contemplating this for a Delhi to Bangalore journey. The Duronto is a weekly once train while the Rajdhani plies daily.

There are 400 plus tickets still available for the 11th of March (day after tomorrow) on the Duronto (Class 3A) so was just wondering why this train is running empty!

The more expensive classes (1A and 2A) seem to be full.
Oxy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks