Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2014, 22:47   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Moving to Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Re. career , no, I am recently (and very happily) retired,

Re. BSNL phone line, we have one already, inherited by my wife, but my name is not there anywhere.
Ah! nice to have time on one's hands

One suggestion reg the phone line - book another BSNL along with your wife's name. The addr proof will be the current connection. This way, you will have something in your name.

I had asked about the career part, because you could have then got a letter from the HR stating your address is xyz ..
Old 26th May 2014, 07:14   #17
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
kjrohit, subraiyr and shankar.balan, thank you very much
Like you said, patience and tolerance are the need of the day

Thanks again and cheers
Take up Golf since you will probably have time on your hands.
Old 25th October 2015, 17:01   #18
BHPian

Moving To Bangalore - Need advise

Folks/Bhpians,

Being in the IT industry work has demanded me to move to Bangalore. I will be working in ITPL and have found a house close by in Kadugoudi area which is around 7 kms from my work location. I need fellow Bhpians advise on a few things.

I will be needing a 2 wheeler for my daily commute to office but also I intended to transport my 4 wheeler some time later after I get settled well and get familiar with the roads. However, I have a confused mind weather I should transfer my 4 wheeler from Mumbai to Bangalore or buy a good condition preowned car with a KA registration there itself. I currently own a 2011 Nissan Micra XV Petrol.

The following are the preowned options I am considering.

Toyota Corolla
Skoda Laura - 2007/2008 Model.
Honda Accord 2.4 - 2007/2008 Model.

How are the conditions in Bangalore for owning pre used cars? Being in Mumbai all my life I have not had a single problem in used cars that I have owned as quite few well known garages are known. Are there such issues in Bangalore for sourcing parts, etc.?
Old 25th October 2015, 20:31   #19
BHPian

Re: Moving To Bangalore - Need advise

Would suggest you sell your Mumbai car and buy one in Karnataka. Here life time tax is sky high and the hassle of transporting, getting NOC and registration is not worth anyone's time.

FYI, of the cars you have shortlisted, one has known problems discussed ad nauseum on Team-BHP and the other has very high fuel consumption. Why don't you just buy a hatch similar to the Micra, considering that you may end up back in Mumbai eventually?

Please do not fix a rental property remotely without seeing it first.
Old 25th October 2015, 22:06   #20
BHPian

Congratulations Wish you luck in your new job !

7 KMS would be far in terms of time. I have heard horror stories of Bangalore traffic where 3 kms could take 2 hrs !

I would recommend you move into a hotel for first 15 days, have a word with your colleagues in new office regarding commute times vs distance and then decide on the residence.

Cars you have shortlisted are known to be very pricy and a pre-owned car will be an expensive affair. I recommend you purchase a hatch( again considering bangalore traffic).
Old 25th October 2015, 23:13   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi, the car advise that I can give is, if its possible to get a used car in Bangalore, get one. The hawk eyed police will create trouble for your MH registered car, and paying tax isn't worth it.

Regarding used cars, Bangalore has plenty of them to choose from, albeit at a higher rate than Mumbai. Sort your priorities and choose the best used car deal.
Old 26th October 2015, 09:55   #22
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

You have most of the advise you need, just a short summary of my recommendations here:
1.Buy a used car locally in Bangalore, prices will be higher than in Mumbai but worth it as Life time tax is high (if you bring your car down to Bangalore you will pay a hefty amount which is not worth it)
2.Kadugodi is not too far from ITPL and a 2 wheeler commute to work would be ideal. However, if you have a family with a child or children then consider the school options, etc before deciding the place of stay
3.Stay in a hotel for a week or two, speak to your friends & colleagues here to figure out your work timings, general traffic patterns and you will quite easily be able to identify a good locality to rent a house. Generally, the ITPL/Whitefield area suffers from bad approach roads and heavy traffic (mixed usage of land by Industries, Residential properties and Corporates, so it can get really bad at times, add to it one-ways on some roads!)

Last edited by NPV : 26th October 2015 at 09:57.
Old 26th October 2015, 14:04   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
Would suggest you sell your Mumbai car and buy one in Karnataka. Here life time tax is sky high and the hassle of transporting, getting NOC and registration is not worth anyone's time.

FYI, of the cars you have shortlisted, one has known problems discussed ad nauseum on Team-BHP and the other has very high fuel consumption. Why don't you just buy a hatch similar to the Micra, considering that you may end up back in Mumbai eventually?

Please do not fix a rental property remotely without seeing it first.
I have already seen the property some days back and I have finalized it as well. My main concern was the tax registration itself. I will be sticking around Bangalore for good amount of time 2 years at the least. So I think going for a locally registered car will make sense now. I also can't find any suitable Hatch backs around. I really don't want to opt for Maruti and will be eyeing other hatches around. If I plan to buy a car locally then I will leave my car in Mumbai for my parents use. I really like the Micra diesel but again using the same car in Bangalore isn't comforting my mind so looking at other options

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaileshHinge View Post
Congratulations Wish you luck in your new job !

7 KMS would be far in terms of time. I have heard horror stories of Bangalore traffic where 3 kms could take 2 hrs !

I would recommend you move into a hotel for first 15 days, have a word with your colleagues in new office regarding commute times vs distance and then decide on the residence.

Cars you have shortlisted are known to be very pricy and a pre-owned car will be an expensive affair. I recommend you purchase a hatch( again considering bangalore traffic).
Thanks! But being transferred from my existing company so the job remains the same! Seen the area myself before deciding on the place, And I found it to be very comfortable for my travel. Even during peak hours it takes around 30 minutes on max as it is on the other side of the populated traffic area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Hi, the car advise that I can give is, if its possible to get a used car in Bangalore, get one. The hawk eyed police will create trouble for your MH registered car, and paying tax isn't worth it.

Regarding used cars, Bangalore has plenty of them to choose from, albeit at a higher rate than Mumbai. Sort your priorities and choose the best used car deal.
Pricing is the important part, I have no idea on the pricing in Bangalore, so with my budget the cars that I have shortlisted will not be a viable option. The usual tax and cops drama will continue too even if I manage to transfer my tax from Mumbai to Bangalore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
You have most of the advise you need, just a short summary of my recommendations here:
1.Buy a used car locally in Bangalore, prices will be higher than in Mumbai but worth it as Life time tax is high (if you bring your car down to Bangalore you will pay a hefty amount which is not worth it)
2.Kadugodi is not too far from ITPL and a 2 wheeler commute to work would be ideal. However, if you have a family with a child or children then consider the school options, etc before deciding the place of stay
3.Stay in a hotel for a week or two, speak to your friends & colleagues here to figure out your work timings, general traffic patterns and you will quite easily be able to identify a good locality to rent a house. Generally, the ITPL/Whitefield area suffers from bad approach roads and heavy traffic (mixed usage of land by Industries, Residential properties and Corporates, so it can get really bad at times, add to it one-ways on some roads!)
Thanks for the tips, As I have already booked the house, I will have to live with it for the next 12 month. Yes true, It is not far from ITPL and that was the main reason for me to decide on that area. Hoodi was an option as well but could not find reasonable good societies there. I plan to use my 4 wheeler on weekends only and 2 wheeler for weekday commutes.
Old 26th October 2015, 17:20   #24
Senior - BHPian

Kadugodi is not a bad choice from for a 2 wheeler commuter. I live very close to ITPL, and as long as you bypass the hopefarm junction using the road next to Whitefield railway station, you should be good. But be prepared for a dusty commute due to the heavy truck traffic.

You should be able to find a good hatch in a short period of time. Check in olx/quker. You can book the zoom nano until you find an own car; its very cheap.
Old 26th October 2015, 17:48   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyf1 View Post
I plan to use my 4 wheeler on weekends only and 2 wheeler for weekday commutes.
In this case, why don't you take a self drive rental like ZoomCar or the like? That will work out better than plonking money up front for a car.

My neighbor frequently rents self drive cars, sometimes a Scorpio, other times a Nano, depending on where he is going and how many passengers he has. Smartest thing I have seen.

Last edited by nowwhat? : 26th October 2015 at 17:54.
Old 14th January 2016, 12:09   #26
BHPian

Gents, will be moving to Bangalore from February. Office will most probably based out of Bellandur in RMZ Ecospace. Can anyone suggest a good place to rent a place nearby (reading the horror stories in the Bangalore traffic thread is giving me jitters ) The only criteria should be commuting hassles should be the least. Thanks in advance.
Old 14th January 2016, 12:24   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandtheleo View Post
Gents, will be moving to Bangalore from February. Office will most probably based out of Bellandur in RMZ Ecospace. Can anyone suggest a good place to rent a place nearby (reading the horror stories in the Bangalore traffic thread is giving me jitters ) The only criteria should be commuting hassles should be the least. Thanks in advance.
Sarjapur road or HSR layout sector 1/2 are good places to live nearby to Ecospace.
Old 14th January 2016, 16:24   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
Sarjapur road or HSR layout sector 1/2 are good places to live nearby to Ecospace.
Thanks for the suggestions, in case you are living there, what would be the average rental for a 1/2 BHK?
Old 14th January 2016, 16:34   #29
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions, in case you are living there, what would be the average rental for a 1/2 BHK?
From Hear say, 1BHK should be about 12-15K and 2BHK about 20K.
Old 14th January 2016, 18:01   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It will be very difficult to find a good 1 bhk.
For rates, you can have a look at the classifieds/real estate sites. Rent can greatly vary depending on your needs.

Most Viewed