Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2019, 22:10   #91
BHPian

Re: Moving to Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandey.jai View Post
you did point on one subtle "cultural difference" later in your post
Ah, yes! Touche!

One point I could recollect that might be useful for folks renting in Bangalore -

Many landlords still insist on 10-month rent as security deposit. Guess the Karnataka rent control act (2001) stipulates this to be not more than 3-month rent equivalent.

Tenants may have to find ways to bring down the security deposit amount.
Old 10th December 2019, 21:01   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
Ah, yes! Touche!

One point I could recollect that might be useful for folks renting in Bangalore -

Many landlords still insist on 10-month rent as security deposit. Guess the Karnataka rent control act (2001) stipulates this to be not more than 3-month rent equivalent.

Tenants may have to find ways to bring down the security deposit amount.
Anyone worked around this? I see deposits from 1L to 1.5L irrespective of the rent amount.

Also if someone moves out within a 3-4 month period (worst case scenario), what's the general scene to be expected in bangalore?
Old 23rd December 2019, 11:31   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Anyone worked around this? I see deposits from 1L to 1.5L irrespective of the rent amount.

Also if someone moves out within a 3-4 month period (worst case scenario), what's the general scene to be expected in bangalore?
From what I've seen (my own experience and those of folks I know), many people are willing to settle for about 80,000/- to 1 lakh for deposit. If someone refuses to be reasonable, I think that place is best avoided anyway!

You could use this also as potential weeding mechanism for landlords.

I once moved out from a rental place less than 6-months after moving-in. I had earlier rejected many very good rental properties but what I felt were rather unreasonable landlords. The one that I finally settled with, the landlord was very accommodating and did not deduct anything from the deposit. Of course, it also helped that most times we maintain the apartments in great condition. Many times when we vacate the place, the apartment has been in better condition than what we have received!

I guess you'll find many wonderful landlords as well who will be reasonable and accommodating. Just that it will take some patience going through the process.

The worst-case scenario - you will lose a month's equivalent rental from the safety deposit. This even with adhering to the clauses on the rent agreement that may require of you to inform the landlord a month ahead of time!
Old 10th January 2020, 12:15   #94
BHPian

I have moved to B'lore with family and my wife's work place is in Rajaji Nagar but my office is in Whitefield both two extreme ends of the city. I am searching for a 3bhk apartment and not sure which area to look so that office commute takes less time. I see that the Namma Metro is available from Byhappanahalli to Rajaji Nagar and see if I stay somewhere along this route, I can commute to Whitefield from here either by personal vehicle or by public transport. Can any of you please give me suggestions as to which locality would be good so as to make commute to office less of a bother for both of us.
Old 10th January 2020, 12:32   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whencut86 View Post
I have moved to B'lore with family and my wife's work place is in Rajaji Nagar but my office is in Whitefield both two extreme ends of the city. I am searching for a 3bhk apartment and not sure which area to look so that office commute takes less time. I see that the Namma Metro is available from Byhappanahalli to Rajaji Nagar and see if I stay somewhere along this route, I can commute to Whitefield from here either by personal vehicle or by public transport. Can any of you please give me suggestions as to which locality would be good so as to make commute to office less of a bother for both of us.
Metro will be your savior and as you said staying across Metro lines would be wiser. Indiranagar might work out well. If you want to avoid Metro you can consider Manyata area, this will have considerable travel time owing to traffic.
Old 10th January 2020, 12:36   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Look up this ex serviceman quarters called jal vayu towers on google maps. See if it works for you. Its walking distance to Byapanahalli metro station.

You can read the google reviews about the gated community as well.

Last edited by Red Liner : 10th January 2020 at 12:37.
Old 12th January 2020, 17:31   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Red Liners choice is excellent, and would have been my first suggestion, but if that doesn't work out you can look for a flat along Varthur Road, Nagavarapalya which is about a 10-15 min walk to the Byappanahalli terminal.

Some of the better apt complexes on this road are ; Prestige Greenwood, Salarpuria Silverwoods, and a few from Total Environments.

Good luck.
Old 20th February 2020, 12:07   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Metro will be your savior and as you said staying across Metro lines would be wiser. Indiranagar might work out well. If you want to avoid Metro you can consider Manyata area, this will have considerable travel time owing to traffic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Look up this ex serviceman quarters called jal vayu towers on google maps. See if it works for you. Its walking distance to Byapanahalli metro station.

You can read the google reviews about the gated community as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
Red Liners choice is excellent, and would have been my first suggestion, but if that doesn't work out you can look for a flat along Varthur Road, Nagavarapalya which is about a 10-15 min walk to the Byappanahalli terminal.

Some of the better apt complexes on this road are ; Prestige Greenwood, Salarpuria Silverwoods, and a few from Total Environments.

Good luck.
Thanks for the suggestions. After searching in a lot of areas, finally narrowed down to Kasturi Nagar and got a 3bhk for 25K including maintenance. This is about 5 minutes from Byhappanahalli Metro station and Whitefield is accessible by bus from Kasturi Nagar bus stop. Plan to take the bus instead of riding/driving to avoid the traffic near Tin Factory/KR Puram junctions and the pollution that comes with it.
Old 20th May 2022, 22:23   #99
BHPian

Hello BHPians, I will be moving to Bangalore from NCR in a couple of months. This is purely a career move and my new organization is based in Bellandur, Pritech park SEZ. This will be my first time in Bangalore so I am a complete stranger there. Owing to the ambiguity around work from home situation, I might work for some time from my current place but eventually will have to move. Also, I will be moving alone for now but my parents might come in for visits. I will be bringing my bike (CB350) with me so that should take care of any weekend travel needs or office commute (if needed).

I am thinking about renting a 2BHK somewhere near the office (heard scary stories about the office commute in Bangalore). I would prefer an apartment due to added benefits of security, power backup, availability of maids/cooks, parking etc.

What would be some good options around Bellandur for such accommodation? I am considering rent in the range of 15-20K per month (can increase the budget if I really like the place). I would prefer a new society as it would be nicer to live in (I hope).

Your valuable input is deeply appreciated!
Old 20th May 2022, 23:43   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdgalore View Post
Hello nerdgalore,

I would suggest HSR layout as it has lot of eatries for someone who is from North India. I haven't been to bellandur or HSR layout in last few years but it should take about 30 mins to commute. Rents may be around 20 to 25k. Also keep in mind you will have to pay a deposit of 10 months or 1 year rent in advance and owner would return it when you vacate the place.
Snowflakes is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2022, 03:49   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Hello BHPians, I will be moving to Bangalore from NCR in a couple of months. This is purely a career move and my new organization is based in Bellandur, Pritech park SEZ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflakes View Post
HSR layout as it has lot of eatries for someone who is from North India. I haven't been to bellandur or HSR layout in last few years but it should take about 30 mins to commute. Rents may be around 20 to 25k.
I went through the similar house hunting in 19 when I moved to the Ooru. I stay on Sarjapur road. It is slightly cheaper and has many new constructions. However I would second Snowflake and suggest you to go to HSR. HSR is properly planned sector-wise and has better access to weekend places and entry exits like Hosur road and the Nice road etc.
atnyia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2022, 08:39   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hello BHPians, I will be moving to Bangalore from NCR in a couple of months. This is purely a career move and my new organization is based in Bellandur, Pritech park SEZ.

What would be some good options around Bellandur for such accommodation? I am considering rent in the range of 15-20K per month (can increase the budget if I really like the place). I would prefer a new society as it would be nicer to live in (I hope).

The good news is that there are 1000s of apartments in locality of your office. Areas to look at at Bellandur, Iblur, Sarjapur Road, HSR, Marathahalli. Some apartments that can enable you to even walk to work or commute quickly would be Sterling Ascentia, Citilight Liberty, Oceanus Freecia, Adarsh Palm Retreat, Akme Harmony ( None of them are new though), Divyasree Elan, Purva apartments, Sobha cluster in Green Glen Layout etc. Check sites like nobroker.com and based on my experience of the area as a first preference look at apartments that are on the main road( Sarjapur Road, ORR) . There is metro construction happening on the outer ring road in front of this techpark. Because of this even with most of folks still in wfh mode, even a 4-5 km commute can take 30 min on a good day.

Now the not so good news. You mentioned a budget of 15-20k which unfortunately will not be enough for these areas. Even a very normal 2bhk in these areas are now going for 25-30k excluding maintenance. Apartment in large complexes with lot amenities ( Adarsh Palm Retreat for example) will be upwards of 30k.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 21st May 2022 at 08:44.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2022, 09:35   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Hello nerdgalore,

Also keep in mind you will have to pay a deposit of 10 months or 1 year rent in advance and owner would return it when you vacate the place.
Thanks. Yes I am becoming aware of the 10 month advance rent which seems bit odd to me as I never experienced it in NCR. Is it often negotiable or fixed rule? I supposed there must always be a big deduction from that when one moves out. Also what is the general process for house hunting? Is it through local property dealers? I checked online and a lot of properties do not have pictures uploaded and the contact number mostly does not work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atnyia View Post
I went through the similar house hunting in 19 when I moved to the Ooru. I stay on Sarjapur road. It is slightly cheaper and has many new constructions. However I would second Snowflake and suggest you to go to HSR. HSR is properly planned sector-wise and has better access to weekend places and entry exits like Hosur road and the Nice road etc.
Thanks. I will set my eyes on HSR Layout. Since I would like to go for a ride during weekends, this would be an added bonus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Now the not so good news. You mentioned a budget of 15-20k which unfortunately will not be enough for these areas. Even a very normal 2bhk in these areas are now going for 25-30k excluding maintenance. Apartment in large complexes with lot amenities ( Adarsh Palm Retreat for example) will be upwards of 30k.
Thanks. Are there any other good areas with societies to also look out for a little outside of Bellandur? I won't mind extra 10-15 mins of travel if rent falls within 20K range and place is decent.

I am also facing uncertainty due to the whole WFH scenario as I don't want to move to Bangalore, realize all teammates are still working from home, and effectively just work from my apartment. No point piling up additional expenses in this case. I will follow up with HR to get their view on their latest WFH stance. Does anyone have any info on the current WFH situation in Bangalore in general?

Last edited by nerdgalore : 21st May 2022 at 09:37.
Old 21st May 2022, 20:33   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. Yes I am becoming aware of the 10 month advance rent which seems bit odd to me as I never experienced it in NCR. Is it often negotiable or fixed rule? I supposed there must always be a big deduction from that when one moves out. Also what is the general process for house hunting? Is it through local property dealers? I checked online and a lot of properties do not have pictures uploaded and the contact number mostly does not work.
10 months is bare minimum from what I have seen and it's a fixed rule. Deduction is usually paint charges , Could be in the region of 10-15k for a 2bhk. You can try nobroker , Local agents take around months rent as commission you can negotiate.
Snowflakes is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2022, 22:17   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. Yes I am becoming aware of the 10 month advance rent which seems bit odd to me as I never experienced it in NCR. Is it often negotiable or fixed rule? I supposed there must always be a big deduction from that when one moves out.

Thanks. Are there any other good areas with societies to also look out for a little outside of Bellandur? I won't mind extra 10-15 mins of travel if rent falls within 20K range and place is decent.

I am also facing uncertainty due to the whole WFH scenario as I don't want to move to Bangalore, realize all teammates are still working from home, and effectively just work from my apartment. No point piling up additional expenses in this case. I will follow up with HR to get their view on their latest WFH stance. Does anyone have any info on the current WFH situation in Bangalore in general?
In the IT corridor unfortunately rents will be high. Anyways check out these areas first and then if it does not work out ,look farther away. Most large companies as far as I have seen are still in a wfh or hybrid mode with 1-3 days a week in office. Makes sense to move only once you need to regularly be in office and your teammates are also coming.

Quote:
10 months is bare minimum from what I have seen and it's a fixed rule. Deduction is usually paint charges , Could be in the region of 10-15k for a 2bhk. You can try nobroker , Local agents take around months rent as commission you can negotiate.
10 month deposit although it is a norm, is not a hard rule. A reasonable owner will be willing to take a lower deposit as rents are high. I rent out an apartment in Bangalore and I personally never take 10 months deposit. I do think it is unreasonable and mostly am ok with 4-5 months also.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks