Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2019, 00:23   #76
Team-BHP Support

Re: Relocating to Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4d-maniac View Post
Next on the list, some high speed broadband. ACT/GCN/Hathway or Airtel V fiber?...
Quality of service varies wildly by location, even for the same service provider.

Last year, ACT sat on my installation request in Banashankari 3rd Stage for a week+, now they restore connectivity in 2-3 hours in my Mysore Road apartment complex whenever I report an outage. Two places 3 kms apart, a world apart in customer service.

Your best bet is to find out the vendor most prevalent in your area. If they have more customers, they're more responsive to your needs and any complaints that arise.
Old 6th November 2019, 13:56   #77
Senior - BHPian

Hello Bengaluru BHPians,

Finally moved to the new location, presently put up at Sobha city on Thanisandra main road & staying with flat mates till family is ready to move in March 2020. My son's admission is done with DPS Bangalore North so ideally would be looking now for an accommodation within 15 kms max of the school premises. Will be connecting with all the BHPians who had suggested the housing complexes in the previous posts.

Looking forward to meeting max petrol heads.
Old 6th November 2019, 14:06   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
My son's admission is done with DPS Bangalore North so ideally would be looking now for an accommodation within 15 kms max of the school premises.
15km or 1.5km? I am asking because 15km in Bangalore is a very very loooong way off.

Not sure if anyone else has given you this advise, but, since you are in Bangalore, you absolutely must invest in a scooter - Activa/Jupiter/Access type. It is as essential to smooth household functioning as a pressure cooker
Old 6th November 2019, 14:24   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
15km or 1.5km? I am asking because 15km in Bangalore is a very very loooong way off.
Thankfully, for North Bangalore, beyond Hebbal, travel is measured with distance and not with reference to time .

The said DPS in question is beyond Hebbal and towards KIAL and hence commute is not going to an issue even with the distance. I still drop and pick my kid from her School at Sahakarnagar from Yelahanka and it consistently takes me 15-18 Minutes max by car for a distance of 9 Km which I feel is reasonably acceptable by Bangalore standards and this includes 7 Traffic signals.
Old 6th November 2019, 14:30   #80
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
My son's admission is done with DPS Bangalore North so ideally would be looking now for an accommodation within 15 kms max of the school premises.
While looking for a home within 15km from your office (hardware park) is fine, please do try to keep the distance between school and home to a shorter one since longer commute by school vans/buses will stress out children. Also, in case of any urgent need/emergency if the school is nearer, it will always help.

*As discussed earlier, hope you now have a good idea (based on your stay at Sobha city, Thanisandra) on where to look for accommodation - Thanisandra, Hennur, Yelahanka, Jakkur, Amruthahalli, etc are options that were recommended earlier

Last edited by NPV : 6th November 2019 at 14:38.
Old 6th November 2019, 16:42   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I still drop and pick my kid from her School at Sahakarnagar from Yelahanka
Quick off topic question - which school is that and what is your review on that school? Thanks-
Old 6th November 2019, 17:01   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Folks,
I'll be moving to Bangalore next month with an employer based out of Electronics City, Ph1 with an office premise that is very close to Nice Road exit.

Single person, with only a bike (sold the car); I'll be looking for options for 1BHK or studio apartments for myself. I am aware these are not generally available, also I'm open to pay a premium to get some good options wherever available; preferably in nice localities/closed societies.

While I'm not really looking forward to doing a lot of traveling on a daily basis, but I'd love suggestions on options that are accessible leveraging the NICE road. Also my work might not require me to head to Electronics City on a daily basis so I can be flexible on that (with the limited info I have currently).

Any suggestions on areas I should focus on as well as properties/societies that I should look for available apartments? Also should I look at other areas (other than NICE road approach)?

Last edited by ninjatalli : 6th November 2019 at 17:26.
Old 6th November 2019, 18:13   #83
BHPian

Moving to Bangalore! Advice needed

Hi folks,

I'm all set to move to Bangalore, thanks to my new job. My previous job was headquartered in Bangalore, but I was always outstation due to projects and whenever I come, stay was provided by company. But this time I'll be permanent in Bangalore and my longing dream to get settled in B'lore is coming true .

I don't have much expertise in Bangalore, so I need help in finding an accommodation first.

My office is in HSR layout, so I want to stay as near as possible, at-most 5-7 kms away from HSR layout. I'm really upset about living quality of PGs in Bangalore, and I'm not comfortable in sharing room with complete strangers. Also, the food is a real issue.

I'm looking for single rooms (kind of studio setup) at a rate of 6k-7k per month without food (unfurnished is also ok), I can cook food myself. Will it be hard to find such places in this budget?
What will be some residential areas near by which is affordable on pocket as well a nice and safe ambience.
People in Bangalore, kindly give advice on this!

Last edited by aah78 : 6th November 2019 at 19:12. Reason: Post moved to existing thread. Typos, grammar, fixed.
Old 6th November 2019, 18:24   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
There is nothing within 1.5kms from the school just long line of the school buses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
While looking for a home within 15km from your office (hardware park) is fine, please do try to keep the distance between school and home to a shorter one since longer commute by school vans/buses will stress out children. Also, in case of any urgent need/emergency if the school is nearer, it will always help.
Noted sir. The school itself is located at an odd location so the major complexes are beyond the 10 kms range. I think only Yelhanka is the closest one. But yes, will be looking out for other options too.

Sobha city is quite posh and rentals are eye popping. 3 BHK rents for 33K + maintenance although the construction is very good.
Old 6th November 2019, 18:31   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Any suggestions on areas I should focus on as well as properties/societies that I should look for available apartments? Also should I look at other areas (other than NICE road approach)?
There are many good options on that side of town. Earlier when I used to be there, I stayed at Smondo 2. There are some series of apartments - smonoville, smondo 2, smondo 3 - on the neotown rd. Those were good apartments.

Quite a few were more were coming up too. Some prestige ones as well. A mall too was to come up there.

Close by is GM infinite.

Along the Neeladri Road too you'll find many options (like Ajmera Infinity).

Few years back, they used to have plenty of power cuts in those regions. If things haven't improved much, you may want to check those complexes that provide 24-hr backup to all major points within the apartment.
Old 6th November 2019, 22:48   #86
BHPian

Re: Moving to Bangalore

Hello fellow Bhpians,

I will be moving to Bangalore in December first week and joining Tata Communications, working out of their Whitefield office. Any heads-up will be helpful and I really want to adapt to the differences in our cultures so that I can enjoy the city and what it has to offer, and most importantly, not see the city based on any pre-conceived notions !

Looking for any tips on places to stay nearby, the traffic conditions and anything else that will be helpful in my transition. Since I am moving from Delhi to Bangalore, everyone seems to tell horror stories ! Right from "Autowallah's never-ending Bargaining" to "Crawling Traffic" across the city !

Also, I've just bought a car and it's registered in Delhi. What is the general outlook of cops towards out-of-state vehicles ? I know I can drive my car for a year without paying any road or lifetime tax, but do the cops follow it ?

I'll appreciate any help that I can get from everyone here. Thanks a ton in advance

Deepesh Karnik
Old 7th November 2019, 09:03   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepeshKarnik View Post

Looking for any tips on places to stay nearby, the traffic conditions and anything else that will be helpful in my transition. Since I am moving from Delhi to Bangalore, everyone seems to tell horror stories ! Right from "Autowallah's never-ending Bargaining" to "Crawling Traffic" across the city !

Also, I've just bought a car and it's registered in Delhi. What is the general outlook of cops towards out-of-state vehicles ? I know I can drive my car for a year without paying any road or lifetime tax, but do the cops follow it ?
Apologies in advance to be the bearer of discouraging news, but Whitefield area is one of the worst in terms of infrastructure and traffic and road conditions, simply because of overpopulation of companies and people in an area that was never designed to withstand such rapid expansion. To make you feel a little better, not too many of the commercial areas are much ahead - many of them are equally bad e.g. Bellandur, which is another tech hub.

That said, if you are working in Whitefield it makes eminent sense to ensure you stay in the same area because commuting from afar to and from Whitefield will be a complete nightmare. There are many decent stay options right from the ubiquitous PG to lavish flats and housing complexes from the top builders, depending upon your budget and requirements. As long as you are mentally prepared to handle the general chaos before settling here, it should be a relatively easier transition. Coming from Delhi's wide roads, it also might be disheartening at first but one gets used to it. Above all, make sure you have a lot of patience to navigate the crawling traffic, not just in Whitefield but all over the city.

As far as out of town cars are concerned, the cops have these checking sprees every once in a while where they do target outstation cars. Have not seen this happening in a long while though. But generally speaking there are tons of cars from outside Karnataka, so should not be a major problem. At some point you will have to pony up and pay the road tax/ registration fee and get a refund from your home state though.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 7th November 2019 at 09:07.
Old 7th November 2019, 09:44   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Folks,
I'll be moving to Bangalore next month with an employer based out of Electronics City, Ph1 with an office premise that is very close to Nice Road exit.
Electronic City Phase 1 has lot of residential areas near the office areas. You could look at the following areas :

1. Neeladri road (most happening area in E city with big builder apartments, restaurants, pubs, PGs, supermarkets etc)

2. Doddathoguru (mostly independent houses, small builder apartments, traditional shopping areas)

3. Neotown (slightly away from E-city, but rents are lower)

Rohan
Old 7th November 2019, 10:21   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepeshKarnik View Post
working out of their Whitefield office....I really want to adapt to the differences in our cultures so that I can enjoy the city and what it has to offer, and most importantly, not see the city based on any pre-conceived notions !

A friend had a DL registered car and a HP registered bike. The poor chap had a miserable stay in Bangalore and was targeted many times by the cops. Overall, such harassment has certainly gone down over time.

Quote:
adapt to the differences in our cultures
It's Delhi-Bangalore, not Delhi- North Korea! not much of a culture difference you'll find among most metros in India.

Quote:
horror stories ! Right from "Autowallah's never-ending Bargaining" to "Crawling Traffic" across the city !
Rush hour traffic is quite similar in most metros. It would not matter much if roads were a bit wider/narrower - after all, you'll see vehicles all around you crawling. The bike population in Bangalore is certainly lot higher than that in Delhi. Some better anticipatory-driving would be required on that account.

I don't think you need to over-think much. Life would go very similar - possibly a bit cleaner air to breathe and the risk of random folks pulling out guns in road-rage would be lot less / non-existent in Bangalore!
Miyata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2019, 07:50   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
It's Delhi-Bangalore, not Delhi- North Korea! not much of a culture difference you'll find among most metros in India ..
I don't think you need to over-think much. Life would go very similar - possibly a bit cleaner air to breathe and the risk of random folks pulling out guns in road-rage would be lot less / non-existent in Bangalore!
You are correct in saying that there will not be a lot of cultural differences - especially in areas like Whitefield where the local kannada speaking population is a minority. Having said that, I think you did point on one subtle "cultural difference" later in your post

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks