Team-BHP - Cop takes offence at my wearing shorts in a Police station
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   Cop takes offence at my wearing shorts in a Police station (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/151528-cop-takes-offence-my-wearing-shorts-police-station-2.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieseldunk (Post 3444557)
Though the lecture and family pulling is uncalled. Since it was a police station are we going a bit hard or what. Will we accept if a road check happens and the cop is in shorts. Probably no. Attire is critical for the educated. Let us not equate to an rickshaw puller or auto wallah for attire since we do not equate on other things with them. They may have a real economic reason for being so but not us. Will any of us go for an interview or visit the consulate in shorts and t shirt then we can take this further.

Yeah DD I also accept this. That is what I have said in my post - Next time im ready to oblige to his "Request" and go in a formal attire. What irks me is - how can he comment on my upbringing? what relation does it have with this? if my upbringing was not good, my picture would be hung up among the other accused pictures that they have hung in the Police Station under a "Wanted" category, I wouldn't be going to the PS for a passport check.

Relax gabrielthomas, don't take it to heart. When someone is angry, his rational part of the brain is switched off, and all he is rambling is a practiced speech. He must be used to talk in this way with anyone offending him, so he blurted the same thing to you. Don't take it seriously and go through it again and again, it will only hurt more and more.

Let it go.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gabrielthomas (Post 3444428)
He further started saying "Perhaps your dad and mom did not grow you up with principles or may be your manager did not teach you all this" - An Corporate manager will teach how to dress when you go to a Police Station??!!

All is OK till he reached your upbringing and principles given to you by your parents. All is well but he shouldn't have gone so far. IMO, go meet him in formals normally once the passport arrives at home.

Quote:

If I had spoken something back, my wife's passport would never ever reach her(this is my thought, please feel to correct).

This is correct, no doubt here. Had you replied to the police fellow then I know what will happen. The formals that you'll be wearing the next time to police station will become shorts due to the amount of running around they'll make you do.

Somewhat similar to this Ad::uncontrol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN18U301PLU

Anurag.

Suppose you go to drop a friend late at night in your shorts and are robbed - you will have to go home, get dressed and then go to file a complaint ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by swiftnfurious (Post 3444515)
Edit:: Having said this, I would NOT dare to go to a police station in shorts! It's more to do with projecting a "decent" impression.

Fully agree with this piece of comment.
Couple of weeks ago, I had to go to my area police station and I saw the Inspector (Lady), shouting at another woman, who had come there to complaint about quarrel with her husband, in a nighty. Now I agree, nowadays a nighty-with-a-dupatta-on has become a decent dress to go out almost every rural areas and sub-urban areas. But, the Inspector made her go back and come in a saree, before doing anything on her complaint.
well, we go to passport office in decent pants and shirts, but why not to Police Station. If we educated do not set examples, how can we expect them to learn.?
Yes - Its about "projecting" decent impression.

I am wearing shorts right now in my office.

I got the same very short advice when I visited my Son's school in shorts ! From that day, I do try to wear pants when going to some places.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RajaTaurus (Post 3444671)
Fully agree with this piece of comment.
Couple of weeks ago, I had to go to my area police station and I saw the Inspector (Lady), shouting at another woman, who had come there to complaint about quarrel with her husband, in a nighty. Now I agree, nowadays a nighty-with-a-dupatta-on has become a decent dress to go out almost every rural areas and sub-urban areas. But, the Inspector made her go back and come in a saree, before doing anything on her complaint.
well, we go to passport office in decent pants and shirts, but why not to Police Station. If we educated do not set examples, how can we expect them to learn.?
Yes - Its about "projecting" decent impression.

Agreed. But it should be explained in a way that is acceptable. If they expect some disciple in our clothes, we would also expect a discipline in their behaviour right? - Just my humble opinion.

I would have taken a wide glance at office/tables/floor/surroundings to see if they are in neat order.If they were not, I would have rested my case just saying set your house in order before teaching me dress 'code'.
Police Stations have SLA on Passport documents hence they can't block or cause undue trouble.

I think we all agree that while shorts&Tee are the best for Chennai weather, it is too informal for such official work/visits.
OP also agrees to this, just that the way the cop mentioned this was not in good taste. Indeed he could have worded it better.

Kudos to the cop though for not taking money.

BTW don't know about TN, but till some years ago, KL cops used to have shorts/half-pants as uniform. :)

@OP - Life is like this only in Bharat. Quit whining. Take it on the chin and move on.

There i said it.

Good to leave the incident behind for A. you can do nothing about it and arguing will only complicate matters. B. As many posters said, it could just be a bad day for the officer, who could not restraint his language or in fact the sole topic.

If latter is the case, if there is another meeting likely, he might in fact behave a little politely, having realized his mistake.

Quote:

Originally Posted by svsantosh (Post 3444516)
1st Thing I saw was your place of residence of your handle - Chennai!!

I am a fellow-tamilian from Hosur.

The best part...

For me, my wife and kid (I paid 3 different visits, some other issue...)

1st time
Lady PC - "Sir, plz give FEEs 200"

2nd time
L.Pc - U? "Fees..."

3rd time
:D "Fees" buddies... we actually exchanged smiles !!

Quote:

"Do you go to your office in this kind of a dress? This is also an office why have you come like this?

Somehow I agree on this and we must respect his view. but the way he expressed is very rude.

In past I had a worst experience with traffic police. License and documents checking was going on and I was stopped to show the documents. I had all the documents intact & I presented to PC without getting down from the bike

PC: get down from the bike
me: why?
PC: won't you get down?
me: you haven't answered my question why should I get down?
he took the keys from bike
PC: get down and see the SI
me: Why should I?
he walked away. Luckily my bike had very old lock set, it would turn from "OFF" position to "IGN ON" even with a screw driver (only to lock & unlock I need the actual key) I just used a pen cap to turn ON ignition and started the bike, went near the PC, keeping a safe distance & moving the bike,
me: it is no where written on the G.O that we should get down from the bike to present the documents. afterall you are paid from what we pay as Tax and know your limits & behave yourself. Keep the keys with you and do what ever you can do.

After saying this, escaped from the spot. He could have noted down the number, but I know those lazy guy's won't go that extent. Even if they do, we had some influence from higher officials and I could manage to escape. This isn't legal I know, but just a tit-for-tat for what he did and how he behaved.

Quote:

Today morning I had to go to my local Police Station to submit some documents related to my wife's passport background check. As soon as I went inside and met the PC who was supposed to receive the documents, he had a look at me and started screaming at me. Any guesses why he screamed at me? I was wearing a knee length shorts and a T shirt.

Hi Thomas, a different experience for sure !

However, I'm reminded of the saying - "Those who want respect, give respect".

Is it unfair of the PC to think walking into a Police station in your night clothes is a direct reflection of how much you respect the Police, & hence him ?

Sigh ! May be it's just my age talking ( I absolutely hate SMS lingo stupid: )

For the first time I have come across something like this. Well, the police officer pointed out the right thing but should not have involved the upbringing. This is really offensive. However, Thomas, just take it as a suggestion and next time whenever you meet this officer just greet him with a smile.

He would be one of those officers for whom the decorum and rules hold the utmost importance which I don't think is wrong. Only thing is he thought that it is obligatory of everyone to abide by the norms every time.

OT: I remember a similar rule was implemented by the schools under which the parents were not allowed to come to drop their child in casual clothes.

Thanks.