Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2006, 18:11   #1
GTS
BHPian

First Aid--Of utmost importance

I dont know if any threads were posted earlier emphasising the importance of first aid but I thought it was my duty to keep you folks reminded of it. Medical emergencies don't occur every day. But when they do, information can help you deal with these situations.

The mortality rate of Road Traffic Accidents(RTA) in India, U.S.A., and U.K are more than 1000, 300 and 100 deaths/week/square kms respectively.

In general, pathetic road conditions, lack of ambulance services, lack of adequate knowledge regarding first aid, public unawareness about road safety measures, fear of harassment by the police are to accentuate the percentage of mortality rate in India. The overall failure and successful treatment of the trauma patient depends upon the initial trauma care within one hour, which is the Golden Hour.

Requisites of Golden Hour Concept:

* Primary care of the patient at site of accident
* Efficient transport of injured patient from the site of trauma:
* Well equipped ambulances -meticulous transportation of the patient

In today's unpredictable world anyone could be the victim of a medical emergency. So what do you do when you encounter such a situation with no immediate medical help at hand? Bystanders or relatives not knowing what to do, or being too timid to try, have unwittingly contributed to unnecessary deaths and chronic injuries.

First aid is the initial care of a suddenly sick or injured person and is the care administered by a person ASAP after an accident or illness. It is this prompt care and attention prior to the arrival of the ambulance that sometimes means the difference between life and death, or between a full or partial recovery.

It is important that quick action does not lead to panic. Careful and deliberate action undertaken without too much delay is most beneficial to the casualty. Try to remain calm and think your actions through. A calm and controlled first aider will give everyone confidence that the event is being handled efficiently and effectively.

The main aims of first aid are:

* To preserve life
* To protect the casualty from further harm
* To relieve pain

How many of us are familiar with simple first aid measures? Do we know what to do if there is a profuse bleed from an injured limb? Can we handle an insect bite induced allergy during a family outing?

A good/simple online resource would be:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/Fir.../FirstAidIndex

Be informed! Stay healthy!
GTS

Last edited by GTS : 19th July 2006 at 18:24.
GTS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2006, 18:21   #2
Senior - BHPian

Nice initiative, GTS. The benefits of having a doc in our midst.
Old 20th July 2006, 18:31   #3
GTS
BHPian

Thanks for the kind words SB, but going by the response, I should say that this post wasnt necessary because most seem to be already informed! Good for them.
Old 20th July 2006, 19:02   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

GTS, such reminders are always good. Thanks for this - will atleast remind folks to drive safe. The link contains a lot of information too.
Old 21st July 2006, 13:14   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS
but going by the response, I should say that this post wasnt necessary because most seem to be already informed! Good for them.
Low response does not mean the thread is useless (and vice versa). It's just that some threads miss the attention of people initially. But then they will pick up. I am sure that it will be the same in this case too.
Old 21st July 2006, 14:51   #6
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for posting this information. This certainly is an important information to know. I was discussing this with my wife the other day. When we were travelling, we saw a few accident victims who were bleeding profusely and one had a sever head injury. We cleaned the injured head part with water we had in our car and we offered him water. A bus offered to take him to the hospital and I do not know what happened to him later on. But when I discussed this with some of my friends, some were of the opinion that we should not have offered water to a person with a head injury. I dont know whether I did the right thing or not. Now I realise the importance of first aid.
Old 21st February 2012, 14:23   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: First Aid--Of utmost importance

Which is the best place in Bangalore to get good, solid training on first aid provision?
Old 21st February 2012, 14:54   #8
Senior - BHPian

Re: First Aid--Of utmost importance

Your local St.John's Ambulance association would be a good place for such training. A quick google search threw up the following :

Dr. Murali
9448411375, 9731567888
St. John Ambulance India - First Aid Training Centre, Bangalore District
At Dr. Raj Rangamandira Building, Nagasandra Road, Ganesh Mandira Circle,
Tyagarajanagar, Bangalore - 560028

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks