Team-BHP - Life on a Razor Edge...Shaving the retro way
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   Life on a Razor Edge...Shaving the retro way (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/152507-life-razor-edge-shaving-retro-way-4.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guderian (Post 3464827)

Life was fairly good and running along on an even keel for about 30+ years in a kingdom of all things plasticky and conveniency. Till couple of weeks ago - when I read a long write up in a mag on how the scraping of ones face using a brush and old time razor was the best for the skin and to get a real close scrape.!

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnakemanJohny (Post 3475946)
The brand is an unknown SUNBEAM ! And I still use that razor every day, with the GODREJ shaving round displayed by 'theexperthand'. That makes the fellow some forty-three years old. Wish I had a bill or some sort of documentation. The electroplating has worn out at the edges, displaying brass.

Double edged safety-razor blades are no problem in Calcutta, which is approximately a century behind places like Pune or Bengaluru !

These are still available in Poona. A bit hard to find...But nevertheless...

My Grandfather still insists on using single blade razors.

His is- A 1956 Gillette. Made in Sheffield, GB.

A bit worse for wear...Heavyish...But for something from 1956, Just incredible!

Made the switch to single blade DE razor and gladly threw away the multi-blade cartridge setup to the bin. Absolutely in love with the process now - cheaper per shave and at a slower pace, which is to be expected of anything that is old fashioned.
Feel foolish to have contributed to the bottom line of the multi-blade tricksters all these years.

I was out grocery shopping with my wife the other day and on impulse picked up the Godrej Shaving Round for 22 Rs. I had vague recollections of this products from my childhood visits to barber Shop and do not recall the smell though.

I have never been more impressed by anything that costs so little and delivers so much, just love how easy it is to lather and how thick the foam is.

Price 10/10- This is a absolute VFM product, for 22 rs, I think this must be cheapest wet shaving soap out there.

Smell- 6/10 It had a very faint smell, would have preferred more aroma.

Lather - 10/10 Very very easy to lather, I load up the brush and then use a shaving cup to develop the lather, I always end up with more than I need.

The shave -

I used a shavette with Gillette blade, the foam is not very slick like my Biotique, however there was not irritation post the shave.
The skin felt a tad dry after the shave, I used Old Spice Classic aftershave and did not feel much burn.

I would highly recommend this product to all wet shavers, give it a try.

Quote:

Originally Posted by motorpsycho (Post 3937581)
I was out grocery shopping with my wife the other day and on impulse picked up the Godrej Shaving Round for 22 Rs.

A quality product for a low, low price. If you don't need the plastic container, the refill is available for even less. Double-edged shaving aficionados the world over rate the Godrej Shaving Round very highly. In fact I myself came to know about it from a review I read from someone in Europe. Even though I have memories of my Dad using it, I hadn't tried it myself until then.

The only problem with the round is that it tends to dry and shrink if left unused for a week or more in the dry Bangalore weather. So these days I am on the Godrej Shaving Cream which I prefer over the few other brands I have tried that barely work up any foam. I shall be going back to the round in a few months.

For DE shaving, I prefer Edwin Jagger though I have Merkur and Parker and the Gillette Plastic Razor which I still like a lot. Blades I use are Gillette Black.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nowwhat? (Post 3937609)
A quality product for a low, low price.

For DE shaving, I prefer Edwin Jagger though I have Merkur and Parker and the Gillette Plastic Razor which I still like a lot. Blades I use are Gillette Black.

I would also recommend Biotique Palmyra Shaving cream, costs about 180, the product is terrific. It's been out of stock for some time now, health and glow shops do stock them.

Recently on my visit home, I forgot my shave kit and borrowed my Dads Cartridge type and I could not believe how time taking the process for shaving was with a cartridge.

I only use a shavette and I love the process, how easy it is.

Quote:

Originally Posted by motorpsycho (Post 3937619)
I would also recommend Biotique Palmyra Shaving cream, costs about 180, the product is terrific. It's been out of stock for some time now, health and glow shops do stock them.

I only use a shavette and I love the process, how easy it is.

Thanks for the tip about the Biotique. Shall try it, but the price seems quite high.

Haven't tried a straight razor yet. Where did you source it from? And how often does one gets nicks and cuts from it? I am sure i have to see some videos before I use one of those.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nowwhat? (Post 3937745)
Thanks for the tip about the Biotique. Shall try it, but the price seems quite high.

Haven't tried a straight razor yet. Where did you source it from? And how often does one gets nicks and cuts from it? I am sure i have to see some videos before I use one of those.

Yes the cost is high compared to other creams, however the quantity is more and you need very little of the cream for each shave.

I do not use a Straight Razor, I use a Shavette, the one used in Barber shops. The learning curve is a little steep but it is very rewarding.

Quote:

Originally Posted by motorpsycho (Post 3938171)
I do not use a Straight Razor, I use a Shavette, the one used in Barber shops. The learning curve is a little steep but it is very rewarding.

Actually I hadn't heard the term "Shavette" until yesterday, but when I looked at some pictures on Google Images, I saw both.

I have been using DE razors for over 2 years now.
use my old mach3 only in case of urgency.
I use a plastic razor, looking for something better ( not willing to spend on merkur). Please recommend.

Please suggest where to buy godrej shaving round. Nobody seems to have it. Wish to try once

Quote:

Originally Posted by vikramvicky1984 (Post 3981974)
Please suggest where to buy godrej shaving round. Nobody seems to have it. Wish to try once

You can drop a mail to care@godrejcp.com

They'll give you details of available outlets.

Quote:

I use a plastic razor, looking for something better ( not willing to spend on merkur). Please recommend.

There are chinese and indian made stuff available on ebay for a few hundred which look like clones of classic designs. Worth a shot

Quote:

Try this one:
http://www.askmegrocery.com/pla/?gcl...160525131356:s

Quote:

In the value range, there are only 3 razors (or its variants) that everyone raves about abroad. Strictly in alphabetical order, they are:
All of the above cost around Rs. 2,000 in the US but are of such high quality that they will not only last your lifetime, but those of your children and grand-children.

Out of the above, Parker is made in India and proudly mentions that fact on every product. However the company has some sort of a contractual agreement to export all its razors to the US. Still, if you take the effort to locate the owner in India, you may be able to persuade him to ship you a few.

Parker DE razors come in single-piece butterfly-open and 3-piece. Parker can be bloodthirsty and requires proper technique. This is not a razor one can use in the shower like a Mach 3 or the plastic DE Gillette. I rate it very highly and the attention to detail is as good if not better than its competitors, but I cut myself too many times and switched over to the Edwin Jagger which doesn't require as much thought.

You will get Godrej Shaving Round (GSR) in small department stores in most cities, not big ones like Spencers, Reliance, etc. GSR is very popular in rural areas and availability is usually high. Once you have a quality razor, GSR or Godrej Shaving Foam and Gillette Black blades, you are all set as India has some of the best shaving disposables for DE shaving in the entire world.

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn (Post 3982348)
There are chinese and indian made stuff available on ebay for a few hundred which look like clones of classic designs. Worth a shot

All the Chinese stuff I got from eBay or AliExpress barely lasted a few months. My eyeglasses are missing one screw, the famous Chinese fountain pen I bought dries up in minutes, the chrome-plated razor stand I bought started rusting in a month(!), so I would stay away from Chinese stuff.

Quote:

Originally Posted by archat68 (Post 3982401)

This one as well as the other one from Gillette with the all-plastic body are both good.

Nice to see this thread. I picked up wet shaving around 2008 when I was in the UK.

Razor : Merkur Long handled classic : Good for beginners. Single medium aggressive blade position and a longer handle gives a good feel in the hand.
Brushes : Badger brush and a body shop brush
Blades : Gilette Platinum and Wilkinson Sword grey-blue pack

Creams : My favourite was Avocado from Taylors of Bond St followed by regulars Godrej Rich Foam and Old Spice Lime

Soaps : Quite a few from Mama Bears soaps but absolute favorite was Illusion from Saint Charles Shave. Very nice creamy soap which was a combo of soap and cream and an awesome fragrance. Unfortunately the owner passed away and the company doesnt make this scent anymore.

I usually do 3 passes. One vertical, one sideways and final to remove any leftover patches.

Unfortunately I have really thick and plentiful facial hair but very thin sensitive skin but compared to regular shaving, wet shaving is wonderful.

Now though I rarely shave because it takes me quite a while to complete my shaving ritual, atleast 20-30 mins so I only shave on a random Sunday when Im in the mood or I have to attend a function or something.
On a regular basis I just use a trimmer to take the hair down to stubble level