Team-BHP - Life on a Razor Edge...Shaving the retro way
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   Life on a Razor Edge...Shaving the retro way (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/152507-life-razor-edge-shaving-retro-way-8.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by motorpsycho (Post 4613570)

I purchased boar bristle brush, but it shed like crazy and stopped using it. .

Those actually are cattle/buffalo tail hair, so no concern necessary for endangering wildlife ! Yes, some low quality brushes shed and become useless soon. When it happens with me, I buy another, slightly different looking one. These are mostly unbranded, or of unknown brands, so one has to be lucky to get a good one !

The best brushes are badger. But, having said that - the Bombay Shaving Company sends out some neat ones

Quote:

Originally Posted by adi.mariner (Post 4604960)
I was using a Gillette Mach 3 Razor following which I'm using a Dorco Pace 4 shaving razor currently. I would like to switch to Single DE shaving razors. Could anyone kindly suggest any particular brand or model to start with?

You can try the Pearl brand of DE razors. They are excellent in nature and are well machined tools. Easily available on Amazon and their native site.

Meanwhile:

Quote:

Originally Posted by asingh1977 (Post 4618960)
Meanwhile:

I am using the DE Razor that came along with the BSC Kit. Still getting used to shaving with a DE Razor. A few nicks and cuts here n there.
That is really an impressive collection of DE blades.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sebring (Post 4614811)
The best brushes are badger. But, having said that - the Bombay Shaving Company sends out some neat ones

I had ordered the Bombay Shaving Company's Kit. The brush along with it is really good. I have used only Gillette/Park Avenue Nylon Bristle Brushes till now and this was a welcome change.

Been inactive on this forum for a long while and stumbled on this thread a few days back. I have recently taken an interest in wet shaving so thought i'd share some images of the stuff i use for my daily shaves.

I'll start with the razors. I prefer adjustable TTOs only. Seen here are the Rockwell Model T and a 1950s Gillette Fatboy. These are the two most used models from my collection, the fatboy being my favorite, of which i have multiples.
Life on a Razor Edge...Shaving the retro way-photo_20190727_194443.jpg

As for brushes, for the normal workday shave, i prefer the boar or regular silvertip badgers. On the weekends, i use the large (28 and 30mm) high mountain white silvertips.
Life on a Razor Edge...Shaving the retro way-photo_20190727_194301.jpg
30mm HMW Silvertip
Life on a Razor Edge...Shaving the retro way-photo_20190727_194344.jpg
28mm HMW Silvertip
Life on a Razor Edge...Shaving the retro way-photo_20190727_194350.jpg
p.s. the hand isnt mine, its the brush manufacturer's sales rep's :P

As for the soap, i really haven't tried many makes. But among the ones i have tried, i liked Stirling the most. Excellent lather characteristics with a great post shave feel too. Their fragrances is what i most like about them.
Life on a Razor Edge...Shaving the retro way-photo_20190727_194429.jpg
some of their glacial and "iced" soaps are the perfect match for mumbais summers.
Life on a Razor Edge...Shaving the retro way-photo_20190727_194654.jpg

Cheers!

------------------>>>>BUMP!!

Some collectibles that i have which belong to this thread.

A Vintage Gillette wanderer kit.

A lillicarps Hone : Supposedly made of radioactive glass which was believed to give sharpness to DE blades.

Partner , made in Germany , Pre DE blade era knife shaver.

Allegro : Swiss made DE Blade sharpener. Supposedly , DE blades were costly those days and it was economical to sharpen a used blade . Ingenious device almost akin to a guillotine. Its in its original box with inserts.

Oh there is a thread for outliers like me !!!
I have been with double edge shaving razor since my college days. I always have been lazy regarding shaving. And the ready shavers with 5 blades clog up quickly on 2 week growth.

Right now using Muhle R41. Anyone using this bad guy?

I was struggling with my prickly, hard Gillette brush and a generic shaving cream this morning and realised it's about time I treated myself to something nice. After some research online, ordered the following from Amazon:
- Trigodon Calliditas A Lupus Shaving Brush
- Trigodon Wild Seas Luxury Shave Soap (rated highly by @theexperthand on this thread)
- Bombay Shaving Company Post-Shave Balm with Witch Hazel

All of these are Indian-made products, mind you, which gives an idea how far niche personal care products have gone in this country! In fact I was gifted a beard-grooming set by a friend a few months ago (during my bearded phase) and I loved it- also by a niche Indian producer.

The stuff arrives over the weekend so will stop by for a detailed review later. I have experimented with every kind of shaving cream, foam, gel there is. Am comfortable with Gillette and Nivea foams (they are super time-saving and great for travel), Axe and Vicco shaving creams but somehow shaving gel never did it for me (applying it by hand feels icky!) This will be my first experience with shaving soap outside of the generic barbershop stuff of my youth.

My skin type doesn't permit me to experiment on the razorblade side, however. I stick to Gillete Mach 3 Turbo or Sensitive (have also ordered a 4-pack of the latter). Anything else and I end up looking like a bruised peach!

Nice thread....I really miss Guderian. RIP!

Quote:

Originally Posted by noopster (Post 5010600)
- Trigodon Calliditas A Lupus Shaving Brush

I am interested to read an honest review on this product. The reviews on Amazon are too fragmented or seem biased. Hope you enjoy the new kit.

Last year October got the Godrej Shaving round from Amazon. It is not available in North India for retail. Really love it, have been using that ever since. No more creams.

I think I have been using Gillette Mach3 for two decades now. I know Fusion 5 is around, but I stuck to the old warrior. Their Australian subsidy put a spin on things by launching my favourite shade; Matt Black. Comes with a dandy magnetic holder. You get that delicate floating feeling. That's the coolest I've ever seen. So just had to own it!

I have been using the Gillette Presto twin blade razor for at least the past two decades! Only, I have switched to shave foam instead of cream and brush for the past few years. The twin blade razor doesn't give a great shave, but it gives an acceptable shave, is very forgiving and lasts a week! Shaving will take only five minutes! I am not going back to single blade conventional razors again.

I am not a fan of three or more bladed Gillette razors either.

Parker has launched it's adjustable injector razor few weeks back:
https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B09...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also found this channel where Indian wet shaving products are reviewed:
https://www.youtube.com/c/JoyShaving/featured

And this is a fb group for Indian wet shavers:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/IndianWetShavers/

I am looking forward for some tips here. What to buy and what not to? The usual here, Mach 3 / Fusion, normal brush & any shaving cream, but since beard has started to grey and I don't have the patience to trim and maintain it, prefer to shave daily or max every alternate day, hence something which won't harm the skin and is good to use.

Any thing to be done prior to shave to soften the skin? In summers, I bathe and then shave. Can't do so in winters.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheel (Post 5207141)

Any thing to be done prior to shave to soften the skin? In summers, I bathe and then shave. Can't do so in winters.

Here is shave prep, I use a Ustra to shave.Also, please give double Edge shaver a try, instead of Mach/Fusion. DE shavers are much gentler on the skin and chances of ingrown hair is greatly reduced.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheel (Post 5207141)
I am looking forward for some tips here. What to buy and what not to? The usual here, Mach 3 / Fusion, normal brush & any shaving cream, but since beard has started to grey and I don't have the patience to trim and maintain it, prefer to shave daily or max every alternate day, hence something which won't harm the skin and is good to use.

While I prefer DE razor , while on a trip I bought a pack of Gillette guard , a cheap plastic razor with replaceable blades. I felt that razor was very gentle on the skin yet has only a single blade. Generous use of shaving foam mixed with a bit of warm water should do just fine.

As a daily routine just these two things are more than enough followed by an aftershave.