Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2017, 15:31   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Life on a Razor Edge...Shaving the retro way

Even Im using Bombay Shaving Kit for the last three months. Got one for my Dad as well. It's packaged so well that initially he was just staring at the box and not using. They even engrave your initials on the razor, thereby personalising it! I havent had any nicks or cuts till now, but the Merkur does give a closer shave. The Feather razor is nicely weighted and is good, but need one extra swipe.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2017, 12:29   #77
BHPian

Anyone using straight razor here? What is good product for the beginners
Old 10th October 2017, 00:23   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
Anyone using straight razor here? What is good product for the beginners
I use a Shavette, primary reason why I have not moved to a SR is, I do not have the skill to hone it Shave Sharpness, it is a bit of an art.

Gold Dollar SR are good one to start, unless you are willing to spend some $$, Solingen or other ones are available, just make sure you order a "Shave Ready"Blade.
Old 10th October 2017, 19:41   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorpsycho View Post
I use a Shavette, primary reason why I have not moved to a SR is, I do not have the skill to hone it Shave Sharpness, it is a bit of an art.

Gold Dollar SR are good one to start, unless you are willing to spend some $$, Solingen or other ones are available, just make sure you order a "Shave Ready"Blade.
Thanks for the revert motorpsycho.

Sorry I meant the shavette when I said straight razor. Subsequent readings made me realize that Shavette is what I am looking for as of now. Not yet ready for the full razor. Any good brands or the unbranded ones on Amazon good enough.

What did you migrate from?
indian21r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2017, 23:59   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
Thanks for the revert motorpsycho.
. Not yet ready for the full razor. Any good brands or the unbranded ones on Amazon good enough.

What did you migrate from?
There are no big brands, I have used Lalwani and Kashish from Durga enterprises and currently I have another brand, I am unable to recall the name, I purchased 3 of them for 50 Rs each, will post pics tomorrow.
Do not buy from Amazon, they are a rip off, look for the local barber supply in your city, 50 to 60 rs you will get a very good one.

I experimented with DE and ready shaver cartridge type, during the same time, I found a shavette at my house and started trying it, used to use it in conjunction with Cartridge type, got cut a few times, but it will never be a deep one due to the design.
Old 13th October 2017, 14:47   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorpsycho View Post
Do not buy from Amazon, they are a rip off, look for the local barber supply in your city, 50 to 60 rs you will get a very good one.
Thanks for the feedback will get one locally
Old 27th July 2018, 13:02   #82
Senior - BHPian

On an impulse, i got myself a badger hair brush from the USA and what a difference it was compared to our nylon brushes.

Got me wanting to try safety razors as well. Well been more than a week now with using a regular 7oClock sterling razor with super platinum blades and while i do manage to shave without nicks and cuts, i fail to get a clean shave. [Even with 4 or 5 passes]

I am used to shaving with the grain and against the grain on my gillette proglide and being done in 2 passes with a clean shave makes me wonder why i should persist with the safety razor.
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2018, 13:25   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Used the Gillette green razor blades and they are pathetic. Going back to the grey package ones, way better - and last 2 fresh shaves atleast. The green ones do just one shave (and not even a good pass after that!).
Old 27th July 2018, 13:28   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
I am used to shaving with the grain and against the grain on my gillette proglide and being done in 2 passes with a clean shave makes me wonder why i should persist with the safety razor.
if/ when you grow a beard, it will show you why never to shave against the grain. Or at least not in different directions. I think if you use the safety razor regularly, your face/ beard will also get used it and you will require less passes eventually.

As for the safety razor itself, let us look at the environment. Apparently using a safety razor is better for the environment than all those multi blade or use and throw gillettes. A link below for reference, though I am sure this is explained better elsewhere.
https://www.mnn.com/lifestyle/natura...tainable-shave

Also helps your pocket

Last edited by selfdrive : 27th July 2018 at 13:29.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2018, 13:52   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
if/when you grow a beard, it will show you why never to shave against the grain.
Well said!

Shaving against the direction of growth results in haphazard, unruly, rough and bushy beard. You can take my word for it for I have one of the same kind .
dailydriver is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2018, 13:54   #86
BHPian

Quote:
On an impulse, i got myself a badger hair brush from the USA and what a difference it was compared to our nylon brushes.

Got me wanting to try safety razors as well. Well been more than a week now with using a regular 7oClock sterling razor with super platinum blades and while i do manage to shave without nicks and cuts, i fail to get a clean shave. [Even with 4 or 5 passes]

I have been using boar Brushes for almost four years and find them really good. I also got a Badger brush last week from Germany. Not really liking it. The knot is larger but lacks backbone, but the absorption capability vs. a boar is excellent. Though I felt, boar brushes retain "heat" much better, which is the essence for building a rich lather, of course with water.

To get the best out of a safety razor you should get one with a heavy cutting head. Try "Pearl" razors out on Amazon.in. Their two-piece safety razor is nice. Also I am sure their TTO's will be good too. With a heavy cutting head, you will have to apply almost zero pressure, and 2x, with-the-grain passes, will give you a clean/smooth shave.
asingh1977 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2018, 16:30   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
if/ when you grow a beard, it will show you why never to shave against the grain. Or at least not in different directions. I think if you use the safety razor regularly, your face/ beard will also get used it and you will require less passes eventually.

As for the safety razor itself, let us look at the environment. Apparently using a safety razor is better for the environment than all those multi blade or use and throw gillettes. [/url]

Also helps your pocket
Not much of a beard grower. It's shaving every day except on Sundays for me. So clean shave is the top priority for me. And i find that shaving against the grain helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Well said!

Shaving against the direction of growth results in haphazard, unruly, rough and bushy beard. You can take my word for it for I have one of the same kind .
Thanks for the tip. Me no grow beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by asingh1977 View Post
I have been using boar Brushes for almost four years and find them really good. I also got a Badger brush last week from Germany. Not really liking it. The knot is larger but lacks backbone, but the absorption capability vs. a boar is excellent. Though I felt, boar brushes retain "heat" much better, which is the essence for building a rich lather, of course with water.

To get the best out of a safety razor you should get one with a heavy cutting head. Try "Pearl" razors out on Amazon.in. Their two-piece safety razor is nice. Also I am sure their TTO's will be good too. With a heavy cutting head, you will have to apply almost zero pressure, and 2x, with-the-grain passes, will give you a clean/smooth shave.
Thanks. Shall check it out later. Just got myself a JLA branded gillette pro glide razer and the lady of the house will kill me if i splurge on another expensive razor

Shall keep it in cart and hope there is a sale happening sometime soon

Last edited by khan_sultan : 24th May 2019 at 16:36. Reason: Removed extra smiley
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2018, 17:19   #88
BHPian

Quote:

You need to play with the angle of the razor. Slowly increase the angle and you should get a good shave with 2 pass. The sterling is a good cheap razor.
Old 24th May 2019, 16:17   #89
Senior - BHPian

I'd heard of it but finally got my hands on the 'Italian' Denim Shaving Cream. The lather is really rich and the shave, perfect! Look out for the MADE IN ITALY tubes
Attached Thumbnails
Life on a Razor Edge...Shaving the retro way-img_5846.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2019, 12:37   #90
BHPian

Hi,
Parker razors are available in India now on Amazon. Prices are reasonable too I got the butterfly one for 1950 along with 5 blades. https://www.amazon.in/Parker-Safety-...s%2C302&sr=8-5

I also tried Neev ayurvedic shaving soap. It is useless. Little lather and burning sensation. It's actually a liquid not soap. https://www.neevsoaps.com/index.php?...ory&path=18_88

Still on look out for godrej shaving round. Please let know if anyone can help.
vikramvicky1984 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks