Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2014, 19:09   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Share your Phobia: Everyone has one!

I just realized something, I get very uncomfortable watching scenes of huge ship's propellers, you know a shot taken from underneath the water.

I'm a very good swimmer and have swam in rivers, lakes and in the shallow water of ocean but seeing the massive underbody of ships in ocean makes me shiver, don't know why.

I'm okay in watching any kind of life on the ocean bed, scenes that involve a shark killing a man or whatever but a ship's humungous underbody sends chill down my spine. Poseidon movie had similar scenes. Now that I think of it, the moment when Tom Hanks's plane goes down in the ocean in 'Cast Away' and how he had a huge jet engine running while he was trying to get away, I got uncomfortable looking at that too.

May be its a combination of huge machines, vast deep ocean, tense moments and someone's life is in danger, don't know how to put it.

Last edited by fine69 : 24th July 2014 at 19:10.
Old 24th July 2014, 19:49   #17
Senior - BHPian

Wow, interesting topic! I do have some weird phobias!
first one is fear of massive sea creatures sounds stupid and even more stupid if you consider the fact that I ve never been on a ship or a boat. Just reading the size and scale of these monsters send chills to my spine, and I have fear of large body of water( guess both are related) and I panic when my face comes in contact with cold water or if continuous flow of water restricts my breathing. Is there anyway to come out of this?

Having said that I don't have the usual fears of insects, ghosts, heights or anything like that, and I bully my friends who have these phobias whenever I get a chance, hope they are not reading this thread

And let's see who comes with the weirdest phobia!!!
Old 24th July 2014, 20:01   #18
BHPian

Hi,
Even I have Phasmophobia to any extent sometimes.I do enjoy watching ghost movies with family or friends but I'll be badly scared in nights for couple of days then I'll forget .One incident which I can't forget till now is from movie "MISSED CALL" from then I don't sleep in night with wardrobe open in my room .Recently I watched kannada movie 6-5=2,I remember all incidents and effects whenever I go for trekking .
Keep reviving
Old 24th July 2014, 20:25   #19
Senior - BHPian

I have a fear of someone spitting on me when passing by buses/ trucks. Never happened, but still scared. What is it called? Salivophobia?
I have a fear of ghosts, so avoid ghost movies.
Old 24th July 2014, 21:00   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
I have a fear of someone spitting on me when passing by buses/ trucks. Never happened, but still scared. What is it called? Salivophobia?
I don't fear this, but was once spat on! Yuk! A guy spat a awful amount of pan right out of a bus and i was riding on my bike just behind it. I throttled next to him and abused the hell out of him!
Old 24th July 2014, 21:15   #21
BHPian

Crabs. I am from a village and my house is near by a paddy field. when ever i go there, i will be looking around if any crabs are there. Even scared of the smaller ones.
But really love to eat crab curry or fry
Old 24th July 2014, 21:28   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

For me it has to be the spiders. The big ones.

Last edited by Samba : 24th July 2014 at 21:29.
Old 24th July 2014, 23:19   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratzgh1 View Post
Flying insects make me go all girly around the house. I end up killing them almost every time.
Lol.

I remember this one time I was spending the night out with my friends. We were watching all kinda action-oriented movies. There was pizza, some booze and suddenly this flying 'roach comes in from the open window - all of us were scurrying off to the opposite of wherever that thing was flying!

After it finally rid itself off, we were swearing at it and cheering as if we'd defeated it oursleves in a blood-raged battle.

Somewhat similar to this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
My usually fast reflexes became super slow that day, but found a new idea that day. I covered the moth with a big bowl, and then slid a thin plastic sheet between the bowl and the wall causing the insect to end between the sheet and the bowl. Only then was I able throw it

-Bhargav
I catch interesting/colorful insects that way. I trap it in a glass/plastic container/bowl, gawk at it and when it's time to let it free, ask someone else to do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil_klm View Post
Crabs. I am from a village and my house is near by a paddy field. when ever i go there, i will be looking around if any crabs are there. Even scared of the smaller ones.
But really love to eat crab curry or fry
I love 'em. Especially if they give up their lives in a lip-smacking curry.

I used to be initially frightened of 'em but since the day a nasty looking, big momma bit me and I was encouraged to take revenge by breaking off it's pincers(to prepare it for the above mentioned curry, of course), I haven't looked back. They are fun to mess around with once you declaw them although I'm still wary of the ones having their pincers intact.

Last edited by Turbo_Torq : 24th July 2014 at 23:27.
Old 24th July 2014, 23:30   #24
BHPian

I am scared of people who think they are Stigs Indian cousins. I see a few dozen daily in several avatars. Starting from Two wheels, going up to 8 wheels.
Old 25th July 2014, 00:09   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_Torq View Post

I catch interesting/colorful insects that way. I trap it in a glass/plastic container/bowl, gawk at it and when it's time to let it free, ask someone else to do it!
Hahaha! Rofl'ed at the part in bold. Any reason behind studying them for sometime?

Since childhood I've been told this thing "Why fear insects? They are so small in front of you. Infact they are afraid of you".

But NOOO! Nothing doing. I just can't stand them. Flying, walking, crawling, swimming whatever it is I just cannot stand them. I don't mean that I would kill them if they come, but rather I'd just go 3 kms away from it.

Cockroaches, big insects which I believe are from outer space, giant spiders, hairy insects urrgghhhh!! I have tingling sensation in my body just while typing. Let's end it here..

-Bhargav
Old 25th July 2014, 01:56   #26
BHPian

Nice thread. I am on an extreme level of Acrophobia. Even looking down from my 3rd floor balcony makes me feel that I'm going to fall. I even get way too uncomfortable with a thought of being at a height and nothing to save me from a fall.
Old 25th July 2014, 09:32   #27
Senior - BHPian

Flying cockroaches are just too dangerous to handle for me. I can tolerate flying bats, but flying cockroaches - they just shake me up !
Old 25th July 2014, 09:56   #28
BHPian

From the many, one is fear of lizards. It is not a problem to find lizard on my bed, it is a problem when it disappears.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
Old 25th July 2014, 09:56   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratzgh1 View Post
Woah that's rare! What made you fear them?

Flying insects make me go all girly around the house. I end up killing them almost every time.
Just dont know Prat!!

A kabootarkhana with hundreds of pigeons and I am a dead man!!

Somehow, avoid even going near them. Just some foolish mental block I guess where I dont really have a clue how it ever originated
Old 25th July 2014, 10:20   #30
BHPian

In the recent past with disappearing planes and crashes, have developed a strong phobia towards flying.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks