Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2006, 23:24   #16
BHPian

hey guys,
i finally decided to tell the guy abt it so today when i was leaving for college i saw him leaving for office, so i went up to him and said tht pl remove that tarpaulin from the engine as it will harm the engine and also may overheat the engine.

u wont believe wht he said. he said he was using it for the rains only and it wont harm the engine in any way. he said he used to do it on his ne118 earlier and it didna create any problems.

wht a comparision honda city vtec and ne118

anyways this time also no luck,

by the wayy mr sivadas i dont find addressing anyone as gujju, marwari or south indian as abusive unless someone feels shameful abt his or her caste. also its better than addressing anyone with kaalia, mota etc.

Last edited by honda_dude : 26th July 2006 at 23:31.
Old 27th July 2006, 09:53   #17
BHPian

Quote:
by the wayy mr sivadas i dont find addressing anyone as gujju, marwari or south indian as abusive unless someone feels shameful abt his or her caste. also its better than addressing anyone with words like kaalia, mota etc.
Ok, fine, agreed.
But 'caste' Not good at all.
And may be we should call our hero Mr. tarpaulin.
Old 27th July 2006, 10:58   #18
BHPian

I personally dont have any experience on covering engine parts with some stuff. But I dont even know the exact consequences of doing so.

Anybody having done so can share merits / demerits of doing so pls
Old 27th July 2006, 11:32   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda_dude
hey guys,
u wont believe wht he said. he said he was using it for the rains only and it wont harm the engine in any way. he said he used to do it on his ne118 earlier and it didna create any problems.

Honda_dude you have advised him once. Now its upto him to decide whether to do such a thing or not. I think that should be it.

az

Last edited by GTO : 19th September 2011 at 14:46. Reason: Fixing quote
Old 27th July 2006, 13:04   #20
BHPian

best make him a member of team-bhp and he will learn a lot
Old 27th July 2006, 13:34   #21
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by four_tire
I personally dont have any experience on covering engine parts with some stuff. But I dont even know the exact consequences of doing so.

Anybody having done so can share merits / demerits of doing so pls
I personally haven't *done* any such thing. But it seems quite possible to me that the engine cooling system will be designed keeping in mind that a certain amount of heat will be convected (by external free air circulation) and radiated out. Covering the engine with tarpaulin will likely interfere with these mechanisms and could possibly cause overheating of the engine, at least on long drives. Best is to consult the car manufacturer if you intend to do any such thing.

I am reminded of my constant battles with many of my relatives who insist on covering their TV's and washing m/c's. The problem is that these covers block the air vents on these devices -- something which the manuals forbid when the devices are in use. But of course my relatives don't listen to my advice ("this is what we have been doing for xx years and nothing has happened").
Old 27th July 2006, 13:35   #22
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
he said he used to do it on his ne118 earlier and it didna create any problems.
Must be doing it on the 118 to prevent the delco (?) from getting drenched.

GTO
Old 27th July 2006, 13:57   #23
Senior - BHPian

Actually, there's nothing wrong in covering the engine, as long as the material doesn't touch the engine.

Most new cars come with padding under the hood (for sound proofing and heat resistance). Nothing seems to go wrong with those cars.

But, i don't see why he needs to cover the engine when the car comes with a hood? Isn't that good enuf for him?

Shan2nu
Old 27th July 2006, 14:26   #24
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
Actually, there's nothing wrong in covering the engine, as long as the material doesn't touch the engine.

Most new cars come with padding under the hood (for sound proofing and heat resistance). Nothing seems to go wrong with those cars.
I think padding under the hood will still allow for air circulation around the engine. My impression was that this guy was wrapping up the engine in tarpaulin -- hard to see how he can do that without the tarpulin touching the engine.
Old 27th July 2006, 18:51   #25
BHPian

Actually RKS you are correct. I agree with that too. It has to touch the engine.
Shan2nu the felt padding you are refering to is clipped to the inner side of the hood and it doesnt touch any of the parts in the bonnet. But tarpaulin spread over the entire engine will definitely cause problems for him.
In hondadudes exact words "he put a tarpaulin (tadpatri) on the engine, covered it fully and then closed the bonnet" So thats asking for trouble, right!
Anyway, if that person doesn't want to understand what was being tried to impress upon him, its his choice.

az
Old 27th July 2006, 21:13   #26
rks
BANNED

The other point that occurred to me is that as the car is run for some time and then stopped (say, at the owner's workspot) with the tarpaulin in place, the hot air trapped under the tarpaulin will slowly cool and moisture will condense out. So the engine and other parts under the tarpaulin will be exposed to this moisture for prolonged periods -- surely this is not desirable and is the opposite of what the owner wanted. To be safe, he should check this out with the car manufacturer or some expert.
Old 27th July 2006, 22:41   #27
BHPian

Aha that's bad to hear ......he will make the engine's life miserable, by the way when the bonnet is closed how did he expect water to get inside .....:(
Old 28th July 2006, 01:02   #28
ECM
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Must be doing it on the 118 to prevent the delco (?) from getting drenched.

GTO
Sirji I wish he buy a boat some day and then we can dream what he will do with its engine !
Old 28th July 2006, 08:58   #29
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by saajan_20
what sort of padding can be picked up as a n after market 1?
my mahindra jeep came with 1 never cared much about it(pading jeep is yet cared and used in the farm ) what can be used to make my innova a better silenced drive ????
Hi,

There is a sound deadning pad from Wuerth which is to be used under bonnet available. I have put the same in my Getz.Will try and post some pics soon.PM me if interested. This is similar to what comes OE fitted in most German cars

Viper

Last edited by viper : 28th July 2006 at 09:04.
Old 28th July 2006, 09:03   #30
Senior - BHPian

Tell the guy to laminate the engine. At least it will look neat and stylish.

Most Viewed