Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2014, 09:59   #1

R.I.P. Pran Kumar Sharma

I am so glad I had my childhood before technology took over. Many here remember reading comic strips and books with sketches by late Mr. Pran Kumar Sharma. Some of his famous artwork were " Chacha Choudhri", " Daabu", " Shrimatiji", " Pinki", " Billoo" and many more.

He had a big hand enriching our childhood with his work of art and humor. Mr. Pran parted from us a day before yesterday as he was suffering from colon cancer.

Mr. Pran was included in People of the year 1995 by Limca book of records for popularizing comic books in India. He had even received Lifetime achievement award 2001 from Indian Institute of Cartoonists.

Rest in peace sir and a formal Thank you for enriching our childhood.
Attached Thumbnails
R.I.P. Pran Kumar Sharma-220pxpran_diamond_comics.jpg  

R.I.P. Pran Kumar Sharma-chacha-converted.jpg  

Old 7th August 2014, 10:28   #2
BHPian

re: R.I.P. Pran Kumar Sharma

I am deeply saddened by his unfortunate death. He was an quintessential part of the 90's kid, he made our childhood filled with a treasure which the new crop of generation will never understand, the gift of comics. His creation was a part of my childhood and I am very glad that I was a part of that era! R.I.P Pran Sir, you can't be replaced.
Old 7th August 2014, 10:29   #3
Senior - BHPian

Who can ever forget the famous punchline - "Chacha Chaudhary's brain works faster than a computer". Grew up reading a lot of comics on Chacha chaudhary, Saboo in the midst of Tinkle, Amar Chitra Kathas, Indrajal comics featuring Phantom, Mandrake etc. The childhood was totally different as most of the time it was outdoorish as compared to days tablet/computer world.

RIP Pran Sir and thanks for the wonderful chidlhood.
Old 7th August 2014, 10:34   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by calypsoGT View Post
I am so glad I had my childhood before technology took over. Many here remember reading comic strips and books with sketches by late Mr. Pran Kumar Sharma. Some of his famous artwork were " Chacha Choudhri", " Daabu", " Shrimatiji", " Pinki", " Billoo" and many more.
RIP Pran Kumar Sharma , the sad demise of pioneer of comics in India. You made our childhood even more beautiful with the characters stemming from middle class Indian families, the right sprinkle of humor and aspirations value owing to the macho character (who can forget Sabu and jupiter origin).

I remember the summer vacation craze for saving money to enable buying comic strips or to pay friends/corner shops running the make shift libraries; also add the "team" venture of like minded friends , just to "exchange" strips of Chacha Chaudhary, Phantom, Bahadur and Mandrake.

It is nostalgic memories. Thanks Pran saab for the treasure left behind.

May god bless his soul ...

Last edited by sanstorm : 7th August 2014 at 10:51. Reason: corrections, duplication removal
Old 7th August 2014, 10:50   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by calypsoGT View Post
Many here remember reading comic strips and books with sketches by late Mr. Pran Kumar Sharma. Some of his famous artwork were " Chacha Choudhri", " Daabu", " Shrimatiji", " Pinki", " Billoo" and many more.

Mr. Pran parted from us a day before yesterday as he was suffering from colon cancer.
Really very very sad, I remember my cousins in Bareilly were fond of reading his comics and specially Chacha Chaudhary and Saabu. An era of fun loving and innocent comic cartoons end with him.

RIP!
Old 7th August 2014, 11:51   #6
BANNED

We will all miss him. RIP the great PRAN.
Old 7th August 2014, 12:23   #7
BHPian

Rest In Peace Sir.

Reading your comic books was one of the pure pleasures of my childhood. Thank you for giving India its very own comic hero.
Old 7th August 2014, 12:40   #8
BHPian

Quote:
I am deeply saddened by his unfortunate death. He was an quintessential part of the 90's kid, he made our childhood filled with a treasure which the new crop of generation will never understand, the gift of comics. His creation was a part of my childhood and I am very glad that I was a part of that era! R.I.P Pran Sir, you can't be replaced
You echo my exact sentiments !

I remember, when my brother was a kid he was a very poor eater. My mom used to coax him saying "if you want to be like Sabu, then you have to eat well". That would make him to finish his food.

RIP one of the pioneers of comics in India.
Old 7th August 2014, 13:37   #9
BHPian

Re: R.I.P. Pran Kumar Sharma

I came to know about it yesterday and felt really sad. Grew up on his comics. He will always he in our hearts. Against the highly electronic entertainment methods, ipads and what not, comics were simple, innocent and highly entertaining.

And who can forget the legendary line "Chaha Chaudhary's brain wokrs faster than a computer". Ah, those days!

Don't think the kids now will ever understand.

RIP Pran.
Old 7th August 2014, 14:42   #10

Re: R.I.P. Pran Kumar Sharma

Here are some tribute pictures by his fellow fans, followers and colleagues.
Attached Thumbnails
R.I.P. Pran Kumar Sharma-10580088_717096954994707_6341228027805067457_n.jpg  

R.I.P. Pran Kumar Sharma-10590399_535049749929671_2344828727231983316_n.jpg  

Most Viewed