Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2006, 15:22   #1
BHPian

Vijay Divas

In 1999 our country was invaded by the Pakistani Army in Kargil and Batalik sectors, finally on the 26th July 1999 Indian Army managed to drive back Pakistani invaders from most of the places. In the course of two months of Operation Vijay, over 600 brave soldiers of Indian army paid the ultimate sacrifice.

Following is a small tribute to the brave soldiers of Indian Army on the seventh Anniversary of Kargil War.

These photos were shot in September 2005 at the Kargil War Memorial in Drass.

pointed hill in the background is Tiger Hill

Name of those who paid the ultimate sacrifice

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff: Kindly avoid posting full size pictures. This causes inconvenience to the dial-up users.

Do check on How to post thumbnail photos within Team-BHP from this topic

Last edited by adya33 : 26th July 2006 at 18:50.
Old 26th July 2006, 17:48   #2
Senior - BHPian

Boss i really appreciate our Army and a salute to all our soldiers who are protecting us. hats off.

Off topic i think 26 is unlucky for india..
26 jan quake in gujrat
26 july flood in mum.
26 dec babri masjid demolition
the list goes on..
Old 26th July 2006, 18:00   #3
BANNED

Hey, Good thing that some ppl still remember them though the majority of us have forgotten them allready . They died for nothing ( my personal belief ) .. just a waste of human lives in a political war . Also the ones who were scarred for life in the war are running from pillar to post for the things they were promised by the Govt but how many have recd it .... ??? Its a pitiful situation that happens with the people who are fighting for our safety ...

IMHO , its better when we are at war , coz no play makes jack a dull boy .. seems to be teh armies new motto !! Lt. Generals and all selling pulses and god knows wat all to make a few extra bucks for their retirement -- so shud we salute our army or look at them with disgust ???

Cheers
Old 26th July 2006, 18:20   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

khaadu, if that wasnt the exception, you and I wouldnt be here today, exchanging thoughts here. Or you growing apples, and me working on the comp's.

The soldiers didnt think if the Govt will give what it promised. Heck - they didnt even think what will the Govt give. Yet they gave their lives. For the country. For you, and me - who they didnt even know.

The war wasnt started by us. But we got to defend ourselves. The least we can do is to salute the ones who gave their very life. Like the memorial says - they gave their today for our tomorrow.

Jai Hind.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2006, 19:01   #5
Senior - BHPian

@condor
I strongly agree with you.
Without thinking about future of their family if someone gave their life for their duty and for US i think this is not what you or i or anyone else can do.. we should really appreciate that.. and thanx a lot to yogesh sarkar coz we guyz have forgotten this sacrifice of our soldiers..

Last edited by pdev29 : 26th July 2006 at 19:03.
Old 26th July 2006, 21:04   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

khaadu75, please have a look at this thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...tml#post264791
Old 26th July 2006, 21:12   #7
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor
khaadu, if that wasnt the exception, you and I wouldnt be here today, exchanging thoughts here. Or you growing apples, and me working on the comp's.
Jai Hind.
Hey, U got me wrong I think ..pls re read mypost and understand what I said !!! How many ppl remebered this day even on this forum besides lets say yogesh ..... and how many ppl remembered last yrs floods in bombay -- way more than Vijay Divas !! It just shows that we are only affected by wat happens around us and not thousands of miles away on teh borders .. deep down its very easy to type and say we do remember but we know what the truth is ....

As for the point that they serve with out expecting anything bak is wrong .. they do expect things back --- they expect RESPECT , SUPPORT , etc or maybe they dont expect that even . Sitting in fron tof our comps and me growing apples has got nothing to do with this .... bottom line is that if you see the stats of the Indian Army 20 yrs ago and compare them with todays you will realise that the Indian Army is short staffed of Officers , and ask your self WHY ???

Its true ... we dont have enough officer cadre ppl joining the armed forces anymore and thats bcoz they dont offer CTC of lakhs which is somehow more im[portant with our generation . So when war happens and soldiers fight and get injured and get laid of they do expect the same respect when they were serving, they do expect the countrymen to still remember them -- THEY DO -- TRUST ME !!! And u know what they dont expect ... to be running from pillar and post to earn their daily bread , or turning into regular civilians coz they still feel they earn that special respect but sadly they dont get it ..... And it hurts them no bounds !! So as Indians dont you feel its our duty to see that they get what is rightfully theirs .... to see that they dont have to beg for their daily bread ... jsut coz they arnt fighting or protecting us we forget them ????

NO DUDE .... they are forgotten till the next war comes up and we need them !!! Thats sad but its the harsh truth ...

Cheers
Old 26th July 2006, 22:36   #8
Senior - BHPian

Khaadu you are right on the target , we cant do anything coz we all are selfish.
Old 26th July 2006, 22:43   #9
Senior - BHPian

When the Kargil conflict happened, I was in Bangalore studying.I used to read a bit about the whole issue,on and off. But in the last 1yr,I have read numerous articles,and visited websites dedicated to the soldiers of the Indian Army.
Its just amazing to think of the courage and the strength the jawans and officers had, to be able to withstand the weather,the weight of their ammunition/supplies, and also dodge the bullets fired upon them. Almost seems impossible to do. Not bloating things up, but there have been so many times when I was close to breaking down,and crying, when I read some of the stories. Really heart-wrenching!!
Hats off to the soldiers of the Indian Armed forces. May God bless everyone one of them.
Old 27th July 2006, 08:46   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

khaadu, just that the [whole] post seems to say that if the soldiers have to run around to get what was promised, their sacrifices are a waste .. sab bekaar mein. And esp when I read the last line of your post - "or look at them with disgust". This last line was what made me respond to your post.

What you have said is true - more people remember the floods in Mumbai than Kargil. This is not to take away anything from the Mumbaikar who faced all these problems, and helped others too at the same time.

And yes, the soldiers will definitely feel proud if we can atleast acknowledge and respect them for what they do, and what they have done for us. The shortage of officers in the forces, the archaic facilities that they get - and yet they are like what ECM has narrated. These are the Indians that still make us feel proud.
Old 26th July 2022, 11:42   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Vijay Divas

Today is Vijay Divas. My salutations to all our defence personnel, young and old, for protecting the nation all these 75 years. Most of us civilians don't realise that India lives in the most dangerous neighbourhood in the world. On one side an aggressive super power bent on hegemony. On the other side the world's only nuclear armed terrorist nation owned by an army. In the middle an often apathetic citizenry. Jai Hind.
V.Narayan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 11:58   #12
BHPian

Salute to defense forces from my side too. Only those who have served in the armed forces truly know the sacrifices.

@V.Narayan: Sir I think you forgot two more indifferent nations:
Bangladesh, increasingly becoming radical.
Sri Lanka, which, despite financial help from India still leans towards China.
Old 26th July 2022, 12:40   #13
BHPian

Salute to those who guard our country ! Salute to those fallen in this battle.

Most Viewed