Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2014, 11:03   #1
BANNED

Hats off, Golden Temple (Harmandir Sahib)! Food for Kashmir flood victims

Very surprising that our media is blacking out news about the Golden Temple Langar providing 100,000 meals daily for the Kashmiris. This is being done from today at the request of the forces, who will airlift the food.

http://www.taajikhabar.com/2014/09/g...-food2014.html

Even Pakistan features it

http://defence.pk/threads/golden-tem...vakhri.333679/

Well done Golden Temple!!

I got it on the WhatsApp group of my Masonic Lodge!
Old 13th September 2014, 12:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Hats off, Golden Temple (Harmandir Sahib)! Food for Kashmir flood victims

The media is covering it albeit crediting the J&K CM for initiating the request to his counterpart in PB. This per HT today.

One of the tv channels did report the same day before yesterday clearly indicating that the services had gotten in touch with SGPC thereby starting the undertaking.
Old 13th September 2014, 16:52   #3
BHPian

IMHO it does not really matter who takes credit for initiating it as long as the flood affected people get food. We fellow Indians have to help our brothers & sisters in J & K.

The Golden Temple has willingly taken up the responsibility and has the resources to ramp up their cooking in terms of infrastructure & volunteers, which is absolutely amazing - thousand of people volunteer for various activities be it cutting vegetables, cooking, serving or cleaning the dishes. One has to see to believe the collective efforts of volunteers. The kitchen also has an automatic roti maker which can churn out probably 100 chapatis a minute !
Old 14th September 2014, 03:10   #4
BHPian

From what I have heard they also requested several other religious organisations and temples to come help for the food but they denied or did not reply. Just reaffirms me that many of these organisation are in place for personal gains than for the help of the needy. I also received it on whatsapp. Its not just the Golden Temple that is preparing langar for the Kashmiris but also many other gurudawaras have been requested and they are doing so.

Also there is one thing that hurt me a lot. I heard they are paying spicejet for carrying cargo to kashmir. Its really shameful on the part of Indian Govt that they couldnt provide so many of their dormant lying cargo planes for the airlift. From yesterday one plane from the army has been stationed to carry the cargo but it alone cannot handle all the load.
Old 14th September 2014, 19:13   #5
Senior - BHPian

DFRL is also working round the clock providing ready to eat packets for affected victims. Not seeing much of private relief funds being setup to help the needy this time around
Old 15th September 2014, 14:35   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

thanks2god drops the following message:

Quote:
I joined Team-BHP to reform few anomalies on this thread.

1. The SGPC or Shiromani Gurudwara Prabhandak Committee was contacted for relief program in J&K where 1lakh food packets were promised.
You are requested to add more info on the same and refer to news letter by TOI given below

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...w/42413860.cms

2. Kindly correct the name of Golden Temple as Harmandir Sahib, Amritsar as there's another Golden Temple at Vellore and perhaps many more across the world.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmandir_Sahib

Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 18:29   #7
BHPian

Re: Hats off, Golden Temple (Harmandir Sahib)! Food for Kashmir flood victims

Quote:
Originally Posted by V12Doc View Post
From what I have heard they also requested several other religious organisations and temples to come help for the food but they denied or did not reply. Just reaffirms me that many of these organisation are in place for personal gains than for the help of the needy. I also received it on whatsapp. Its not just the Golden Temple that is preparing langar for the Kashmiris but also many other gurudawaras have been requested and they are doing so.

Also there is one thing that hurt me a lot. I heard they are paying spicejet for carrying cargo to kashmir. Its really shameful on the part of Indian Govt that they couldnt provide so many of their dormant lying cargo planes for the airlift. From yesterday one plane from the army has been stationed to carry the cargo but it alone cannot handle all the load.
Firstly I don't know why we should always compare.

AFAIK Harmandir Sahib is well equipped for this as they already have the capability, know-how, volunteers, processes, etc. for this task. Kudos to them for their generosity at this time of need.

The only other religious organization who already does this that I can think of is ISKCON. They too have been sending food packets but at a much smaller scale.

Perhaps the other religious organizations are contributing in other ways they are comfortable with. Last thing we need right now are religious organizations dabbling in food processing for the first time and making the displaced people ill.

As far as Spice Jet is concerned, maybe the government is using them as it is more economical to ship smaller cargo on a scheduled flight. Otherwise food packets are being airlifted almost every day from far away Mysore.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks