Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2014, 12:26   #61
BHPian

Re: Why do we pay for TV?

Thankfully TV services/ DTH are not very expensive compared to western nations where most people just use the internet to watch content.

Earlier I used to have 3 TV's working on one connection. With the advent of set top boxes, connection has been restricted to two Tv's since I have to pay full amount for the first Tv and half subscription for the second Tv. And again full subscription for the third Tv. I didn't understand that logic so gave up on the 3rd Tv.

The best thing right now is the HD recorder. All the things I want to watch are recorded and played later, fast forwarded or paused at my convenience.

And as far as I remember cable Tv was charged from its existence in India and dont think I have watched DD ever since.
Old 6th December 2014, 15:28   #62
BHPian

This is what I conclude from this discussion, correct me if I'm wrong!
We are paying double the money:
1. To buy set top box
2. For watching advertisements

If we are paying money, then there shouldn't be any advertisement.

In actual sense, advertisers should buy us STBs and provide them free for lifetime.

The money we are spending, is going either into entertainment industry or into big company's account.

This is why farmers are dying of poverty and actors and industrialists are buying IPL teams worth hundreds and thousands of crores!!

Feeling enlightened!
Old 6th December 2014, 16:52   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rev_rohit View Post
We are paying double the money 1. To buy set top box 2. For watching advertisements
I knew it would come to this, I didn't believe the hype of "digital" connection one bit. During that time the promotions for digital set-top box went something like this in a Hindi advertisement repeated every 15 mins:

# Jo channels apne select kiye hain, sirf aur sirf ussi ke paise dijiye (pay for what you choose) - True, only they didn't mention that the rates of all channels have zoomed.

# Har mahine bill payment ki pakkkkkki raseet (receipt) lijiye (receipted bills) - Wow! Sure, what next?

# Bill mein no jhanjhat, entertainment mein no rukawat (no problem of payment, no stoppage of entertainment) - There never was any stoppage & the problems have only now started.

Last edited by dark.knight : 6th December 2014 at 17:04. Reason: Added English translation as per forum readability rules ;)
Old 8th December 2014, 11:49   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post

I feel sick to the stomach whenever I watch a cricket match on TV as they switch to playing advertisements for the slightest of reasons. Ball lost? Play ad. Someone hurt? Play ad. Replacement gloves? Play ad. Baller still walking back? Roll-up/Roll-in ads. Baller running in? Digitally convert the playground into a billboard.
I stopped watching cricket altogether for this reason, especially most of the ads are really stupid as if those brands are thinking I am a loafer. I watch football these days no ads during play, during break I switch it off. I don't watch anything else on TV these days.
Old 8th December 2014, 13:05   #65
BHPian

I've stopped watching DTH altogether. All content consumed at home is either streamed or downloaded.
Old 8th December 2014, 13:16   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_antony View Post
I stopped watching cricket altogether for this reason, especially most of the ads are really stupid as if those brands are thinking I am a loafer. I watch football these days no ads during play, during break I switch it off. I don't watch anything else on TV these days.
Please don't say it too loudly or they will somehow put in ads in the football matches too
Old 8th December 2014, 14:14   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by microaubin View Post
The best thing right now is the HD recorder. All the things I want to watch are recorded and played later, fast forwarded or paused at my convenience.
When you record a programme, do the ads also get recorded?
Old 8th December 2014, 16:20   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
Yes the ads also get recorded, but you have the convenience of fast forwarding those. Something that you cannot do when you're watching the programme real-time.
Old 8th December 2014, 18:04   #69
BHPian

As far as television is concerned, for last one and a half years TRAI has limited the advertising time to 12 minutes per hour, but I don't think there is any such regulation for radio content, that's why listening to FM is more painful than watching TV.
Old 9th December 2014, 10:09   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
Yes, the ads do get recorded but you can fast forward, rewind or pause and even skip. And once you stop watching midway, it has the option of resuming from where you left off.

Plus you can record a program while watching another one and even without recording it has about a 2 hour plus auto recording and live pausing!!

What's great is to watch hindi and regional movies where a 3 hour movie can be shortened to 2 hours after skipping the ads and the songs
Old 9th December 2014, 10:47   #71
BHPian

Not sure if it's technically possible, but wish to have something on the lines of MNP(Mobile number portability) for set top boxes too. I'm no expert but the apparatus looks the same for all the providers. If this is introduced, at least the consumers will benefit from the competition and stupid charges('HD access fee' and 'Premium HD channels') might be waived off.
Old 9th December 2014, 13:32   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoelect View Post
Not sure if it's technically possible, but wish to have something on the lines of MNP(Mobile number portability) for set top boxes too. I'm no expert but the apparatus looks the same for all the providers. If this is introduced, at least the consumers will benefit from the competition and stupid charges('HD access fee' and 'Premium HD channels') might be waived off
It is among TRAI's to-do list. Every so often they produce a working paper on this. Basically the hardware is all the same; the thing that is different is the add-on card which contains the key to decrypt the incoming signal (think of this as the SIM card equivalent).

http://www.hindustantimes.com/india-...1-1273226.aspx
Old 9th December 2014, 17:40   #73
BHPian

TV and DTH as we know it on the brink of extension!

In another 2-3 years it would have changed so drastically we will have new set of complaints! Media better gear up for the new wave!
Old 10th December 2014, 10:39   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Wow. Good to know. Thanks for the link It'll at least bring some options/benefits to the consumers considering the rising costs for DTH and the looting prevalent in the name of silly charges.
Old 10th December 2014, 20:03   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Given that 25-40% of showtime....parliament)
Ever since we moved from Bangalore to Hyderabad in 2004, we decided no cable/dish etc. 10 years now and neither my wife nor me nor my kids miss TV.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 11th December 2014 at 01:17. Reason: Quote edited. Please refrain from quoting entire large posts. Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks