Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2008, 20:26   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor
Control/reduce the population to a level sustainable by the resources we have. Hell of a lot of things will fall into place after that.
Agree 100%. And I think we debated this quite a bit on some other thread about population. Yes, lot of things will automatically get better with population control. No denying that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadhuG
2) All signals must have timers installed so that drivers can switch off if possible. Halt at Singals is one of the main reasons for increasing pollution in the cities.
Aah, how could I miss one of my pet wishes. This is really helpful for people like me who switch off engines at signals based on timers. Apart from reducing pollution, it also helps conserve fuel and saves you money too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008
This country will never improve. It's hopeless to even dream.
I can identify with your sentiment, but unfortunately it is because each one of us thinks this way, that the corrupt politicians are taking us for a ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rranjith_kum
Had each politician been good and dutiful, this country wont be corrupted.
Ha, now I have to quote Nikhilb2008 - "Dream on".

I still believe there is hope for India. We, who are aware, can influence kids (ours + those we interact with) to be responsible citizens. Only thing is we need to lead by example and kids will absorb it. I have seen it working with my nieces - simple things like not littering, use and need of wearing seat-belts etc. Convincing my 8-year old niece about the benefit of using seat-belts, led my BIL to start using it - she pestered him so much that he converted to using seatbelts.

Another way I found is to make those people aware to whom kids look up to, eg. teachers. I have a teacher friend and I have been able to convince him about the need to talk to his students not only what is there in the books, but about basic civic sense, a sense of pride for the country etc. Not in a preachy tone, but in a way that makes it interesting and imbibable for the kids. I have noticed this also works.

So, there is still hope for India.
Old 29th October 2008, 00:11   #17
BHPian

For me, people should be courteous to each other on the roads. That would go a long way in becoming a better nation

Most Viewed