Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2006, 11:52   #1
Senior - BHPian

The wishlist of an Indian citizen.

Like most of the guys (and the very few girls ) on tbhp, I am also an Indian citizen and proud of it. I am ordinarily resident in India, but do get the opportunity to travel abroad (Europe / US) on work. My visits abroad opened my eyes to a lot of things that people there take for granted, but which we still don't have, even with India being considered as the next world superpower etc etc.

Having the kind of self-serving politicians / bureaucrats that we are stuck with, has also not helped in any way. I was pretty enthused when Lok Paritran was setup because instead of promising free color TVs, rice at 2/- per kg etc, all they promised was good, corruption-free governance, which IMO should be more than enough to set right most of the things that are wrong with our country. Agreed that they would have taken atleast a few years (if not more) to come to power and be able to do what they promised. But atleast there was hope for India. But after the TN elections, their internal squabbles really put me off, because they sounded like any of the other parties that we already have enough of. I am not delving into who is to blame for that fiasco, but it did leave a bad taste.

Coming to the point for which this thread was created, I have always wished for certain simple things / infrastructure in my country, which would go a long way in making things easy and systematic for people. The way things are going, I am not sure I will be seeing any of these dreams turn into reality for a long time to come. But still, what the heck. Atleast I can wish or dream for these to happen. So, here comes my wishlist for India. Feel free to debate on the list and to add yours too. The only criteria is that it should be for the common good and to make India a better place to live.

1. Mandatory footpaths for all roads. Atleast wide enough for 2 people to walk abreast. Where footpaths currently exist, but are encroached upon, clear them to make it available to the public.
Logic : This would make it safe for pedestrians and also make things easier for motorists, who currently have to deal with people walking on the road. Seperate the pavements from the road by using metal fencing so that people do not get on to the roads except at pedestrian crossings.

2. Medians for all roads (should be high enough to prevent people jumping across) with a pedestrian crossing every 500ms or so.
Logic : Prevents jaywalkers on the road. Helps in regulating traffic by restricting motorists to their side of the road. Would also prevent being blinded by hi-beams of vehicles going in the opposite direction.

3. Clearly demarcated lanes on all roads. The Mount Road in Chennai is an example with separate lanes for auto/2-wheelers, cars, buses and a service lane.
Logic : Regulate traffic flow. Keeps bikers away from cars and heavy vehicles.

4. A lane for cyclists to commute safely.
Logic : The cyclists today are considered an irritant by other motorised road users. But they are not also fully to blame. They too deserve a place on the road. After all it is an eco-friendly means of transportation.

4. Self-operated petrol pumps.
Logic : No dealing with cheating pump attendants. Just swipe, fill up and move on.

5. A separate lane (that branches off from the centre-most lane) for taking U-turns. Don't know how to describe this, but those that have been abroad would understand. Recently saw this implemented on the highway from Chennai to Tindivanam.
Logic : Only those that want to take a U-turn will turn into this lane, others keep going straight on. Avoids traffic jams at junctions.

6. A good Public Transportation System (PTS).
Logic : Enables effective use of roads and non-replenishable resources (petrol / diesel). A well-designed PTS will help people cut down on private transport and thus reduce the country's import bill and dependence on other countries.

7. Nice, spacious shelters at bus stops which protect commuters from the elements. Have information charts about buses plying on that route, with timings and other relevant info.
Logic : Make commuting by public transport as comfortable as possible so as to reduce the dependence on private transport.

8. A proper driving license system, which turns out good drivers, instead of the half-baked ones that are pushed out onto our roads on a daily basis.
Logic : Even with hi-fi infrastructure, the driving experience can be a pain if the road users are not aware of basic rules and can't drive properly.

9. Self-operated pedestrian crossings.
Logic : Enable pedestrians to cross the road on a need basis. When there are no pedestrians, the traffic signals can work so as to favour motorists.

10. Nice multi-lane highways across the country so that any nook and corner of the country is accessible via road. The Golden Quadrilateral is a good initiative in this direction.
Logic : Connect our big, diverse country so that people can travel across the length and breadth of the country comfortably. Also gives an impetus to Tourism.

11. Adequate and organised parking space at malls / shopping centres. I have been amazed at the huge parking spaces available in the US around malls / shopping centres and have always dreamt of a similar scenario back home.
Logic : Makes shopping a pleasure, avoids traffic jams due to people parking haphazardly on the road sides. Reduces chances of damage (scratches, dents) to your ride as parking slots are clearly demarcated. Infact, I would not mind driving a bit more (malls in the suburbs) if the place has adequate and well-defined parking space.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 11th August 2006 at 11:57.
Old 11th August 2006, 12:07   #2
BHPian

For me it would start with something as simple as having a seperate pathway or a dedicated lane just for ambulances to go on (atleast on the main roads!).
Logic: I have noticed that almost everywhere I go, when an ambulance is trying to navigate its way through traffic, no one bothers to give way for it. Ofcourse, in situations like jam packed road there isnt any space for the decent drivers to give way either! So the next best alternative would be is to have a dedicated lane only for emergency vehicles. It should be remembered that every moment is precious to save a life!

This can also double up as a VIP lane, so that the traffic police do not have to block traffic to let those ministers through!

Godspeed,

Alok
Old 11th August 2006, 12:22   #3
BHPian

For me self-discipline of the road users would be of paramount.

Its really saddening to see many of the so called "jet-setters" not obeying the traffic rules, but at the same time heaping praise on systems elsewhere.

Last edited by tifosikrishna : 11th August 2006 at 12:25.
Old 11th August 2006, 15:39   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna
For me self-discipline of the road users would be of paramount.
Agree 100%. This is where proper driver training institutes and a good driver licensing system come in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna
Its really saddening to see many of the so called "jet-setters" not obeying the traffic rules, but at the same time heaping praise on systems elsewhere.
I am not sure whom this is directed at.
Generalisation is tough and thus we cannot say that all "jet-setters" obey or break the rules. But, I would assume that people who have travelled/stayed abroad would have experienced orderly and disciplined traffic and would try to do the same when they are back in India. It is a different matter that after a few days of our unruly traffic, most of them might be forced to flow with the current. I usually drive within the traffic rules.

And no one is praising any other country/system or degrading what we have here. These are just simple things that we are entitled to.
Old 11th August 2006, 16:06   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
I am not sure whom this is directed at.
It was a very general statement. I dont know driving habit or attitude of any bhpian... to make a personalised one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
But, I would assume that people who have travelled/stayed abroad would have experienced orderly and disciplined traffic and would try to do the same when they are back in India.
Thats precisely the reason why i feel bad when they dont do the same in India.
Old 11th August 2006, 16:17   #6
BHPian

For me the wish is Government taking proactive measures so that these BIG car makers don’t exploit us by selling substandard parts just for the sake of cost cutting and competition. It should be something on the lines of National Highway Traffic Safety Administration ( http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov )
Old 11th August 2006, 16:57   #7
BHPian

Sounds like Utopia...

Maybe points 1,2,7,10,11 can be implemented by a proactive government...
As road users, we needn't hold up too much hope.
Old 11th August 2006, 19:47   #8
Senior - BHPian

On a shallower note:
Lower customs and excise duties.
Legalisation of car modifications for power/mileage enhancement.
Old 11th August 2006, 20:41   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Going beyond the driving experience, my one step solution, wish-list, dream - any which way you want to call it:

Control/reduce the population to a level sustainable by the resources we have. Hell of a lot of things will fall into place after that.

It will take sometime for the benefits to show up, but it will be worth it. We can have the quality of life we want, and can be proud of.
Old 12th August 2006, 13:22   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

What about the laws?
Where the bigger car is always at fault even though the other party could be drunk and breaking all the laws.
Increasing the fines based on the segment of the car and its age. Like a new Sonata could be fined 5 times more then a person driving a new 800 or 2 times more then a person driving a 3 or 4 year old sonata (so that someone who buys a second hand sonata doesn't have to pay a bigger fine which he may not be able to afford).
Bigger fines would definately help.
Also another thing would be to make the contracters who built the roads be responsible for them for the next 10 years and responsible for any potholes that may occur in that time frame unless it's due to a natural calamity. (I know newly built roads which have potholes within 2 months of it raining.)
Old 28th October 2008, 11:59   #11
BHPian

Alarming Pollution levels

Couldn't agree more on this. Bigger fines and stricter cops would definitely help ease the situation. A few more points-
1) There is a dire need to cut down pollution levels...Any vehicle not having a valid PUC check cert. should be fined heavily. PUC check to be made mandatory every 6 months. All these Autorickshaws going around the city with a mixture of kerosene/LPG/Petrol etc. must be taken to task. I also see autos converted to LPG letting out lots of white fumes than their petrol/diesel counterparts.
2) All signals must have timers installed so that drivers can switch off if possible. Halt at Singals is one of the main reasons for increasing pollution in the cities.
3) Govt. to install efficient and effective public transport system...
4) One day in a week to be a NO-CAR/NO-TWO WHEEELER day - it can be a Saturday. Frequency of buses on the road to be increased accordingly.
5) A mechanism to be evolved to ecord people travelling by cycle on a continuous basis and reward them/give them incentives.
5) 0% Depreciation should be provided for electric cars...huge subsidies for people who buy these cars. Interest-free loans for these cars.
Old 28th October 2008, 14:33   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Remember that Aerosmith song? Dream on!!

I say screw all this, concentrate on your work, enjoy your life and die. This country will never improve. It's hopeless to even dream.
Old 28th October 2008, 19:07   #13
Senior - BHPian

What's the use of having all these things?

Even if we have properly marked lanes, noone sticks to them.
If we have proper sidewalks, they're either encroached upon, people find them to inconvenient to use or the sidewalks are used by bikes during rush hour. I guess the public needs to be educated and make sure there are consequences for braking the law.

I wish the government cared a bit more for public safety, covered up manholes and gutters, have a good, efficient emergency service. Make public transport more efficient and more importantly safer.
Old 28th October 2008, 19:22   #14
BANNED

It was some years back, the days before we had a TV. I was listening to the news on AIR. At some point of time, the news reader was refering to some statement by the prez. of US of A.

<quote>

The president, Mr. Ronald Reagan said yesterday bla.. bla... bla...

</quote>

Couple of stories later, it was like:-

<quote>

The Indian president, Giani Zail Singh, exhorted the young to bla... bla... bla... ....he was speaking at ....

</quote>

(deliberately not using the tbhp [quote] tags.)
Old 28th October 2008, 19:39   #15
BHPian

A very nice thread. Well most of you really wished the major part of what I could possibly think of. I would wish the govt levies no tax on the fuel ....( the craving part of me )

Though this was a wish list, but dont you think India is really unique rather than saying that this country wont realise anything I would wish everyone does the best of his part. We cannot expect everything from the Govt too...
Had each politician been good and dutiful this country wont be corrupted. The point I am trying to make is each one do their part of work.

Having said that I think I didnt do my part of work clearly that is communicating what I exactly wanted to convey in this post. Just forget this and all concentrate in your work.

Loose control !!! Range de Basanti Basanti !!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks