Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2006, 13:32   #46
Team-BHP Support

I have made a complaint against IGI airport departure lounge drinks stall. the bugger charges rs 20 for frooti, mineral water etc., marked as rs.10.
Old 27th October 2006, 22:36   #47
jat
BHPian

Here are the few more links to know about consumer complaints and rights. I myself feel that core and 5 and 6 are more effective but experience can vary. One 1 just see how good is the ICICI bank. Almost proved on this our site.

1. http://www.icrpc.org/icrpc.org.beware.htm
2. http://www.consumer-voice.org/
3. http://www.cgsiindia.org/knowyourrights.html
4. http://www.indianembassy.org/special/ipr/ipr.htm
5. http://fcamin.nic.in/
6. http://indiaimage.nic.in/
Old 16th March 2011, 11:56   #48
BANNED

The Village Superstore @ Marathahalli, Bangalore

So yesterday we had to attend a birthday party of a small child. And me being me forgot about buying the gift.

We quickly went to Village Hypermarket located at Marathahalli.

My wife went in and I waited near the gate.

She picked a toy a talking back parrot. I paid with my card.

Since we had to gift wrap it. The price tag goes off first.

I see the barcode of the the superstore pasted on top of another barcode below.

Curiosity gets to me and I try and be careful while pulling off the top label.

As I do it. What I see on the actual tag shocks the daylights out of me.

Check this: Price as per the Village Hypermarket barcode Rs 350

Price on the MRP sticker (along with the import details): Rs 62

I was furious and immediately wanted to go back.

My wife reasoned that since we are going for a party we should not spoil our mood.

I let it go. But today I intent to talk to the folks in there.

This is cheating blatant cheating. These people are doing daylight robbery.

I will speak to them first and then come up with a course of action against this.

Anyone want to join?

Last edited by Spitfire : 16th March 2011 at 11:58.
Spitfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2011, 12:44   #49
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Village Superstore @ Marathahalli, Bangalore

^^
I think this kind of things happen everywhere.
Its just that the previous tag wasn't removed else you would not have known the actual price.

The thing is, the shop owner did not force you to buy the product, he gave you an offer that you accepted. (this will be the reason given to you).
The owner has to earn his living and take care of the other cost involved.
Old 16th March 2011, 13:05   #50
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK View Post
The thing is, the shop owner did not force you to buy the product, he gave you an offer that you accepted. (this will be the reason given to you).
So you are saying any shopkeeper anywhere can quote whatever he wants on and above the MRP tag?

Are you joking or is this a fact you are mentioning. This goes against all consumer rights.

What you are actually saying is the MRP is not something that any shopkeeper needs to care about.

To add taking off the MRP and fixing your own is a crime in itself as per what little I know.

Quote:
The owner has to earn his living and take care of the other cost involved.
By fair means. This is cheating.
Spitfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2011, 13:20   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Is it india shining.?,I made an online Complaint, the resturant owner is on his k

Selling at a price above MRP is a crime punishable by imprisonment. The MRP is set by the manufacturer, and therefore the taxes are calculated and paid to the Govt. Nobody else is allowed to tamper with the MRP.

No wonder these guys are scattering. Am sure they dont wanna go to jail :-)
Old 16th March 2011, 14:01   #52
BHPian

Re: Is it india shining.?,I made an online Complaint, the resturant owner is on his k

Is the website for corecenter down ? Not able to reach the same
Old 16th March 2011, 14:05   #53
BHPian

All star hotels,airport shops etc charge 100 bucks for mineral water which is way above the MRP.

Do you mean to say this is illegal?

If yes,I would also try this out from the next time
Old 16th March 2011, 14:17   #54
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy_swift View Post
All star hotels,airport shops etc charge 100 bucks for mineral water which is way above the MRP
That is taken as service charge for the facilities and other luxuries.

The incident with me happened in a superstore.
Old 16th March 2011, 14:20   #55
Senior - BHPian

off late i noticed that the MRP thing changes from Hotel to Hotel or restaurant to restaurant. Few days ago we went for Lunch at Sybway and bought a Diet Coke and noticed the MRP on that was 50 rs. Same can of Diet Coke in local stores is sold for 25 rs i guess.. So we assume that get their packaging done different than other stocks?

Other incident that happened with us was at a restaurant in Udaipur. We bought a can of drink and after consuming it, we found out it was expired. Upon shouting at the staff the response we got was "sir, the beer manufacturers print any date, the beer lasts for years"

After creating a scene there for a while, we were given a waiver on the entire bill amount. The pic attached was taken on 4th April 2010. Is it india shining.?,I made an online Complaint, the resturant owner is on his knees-dscf0671.jpg

The print clearly states the Fill Date and Expires Date.
Old 16th March 2011, 14:48   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
off late i noticed that the MRP thing changes from Hotel to Hotel or restaurant to restaurant. Few days ago we went for Lunch at Sybway and bought a Diet Coke and noticed the MRP on that was 50 rs. Same can of Diet Coke in local stores is sold for 25 rs i guess.. So we assume that get their packaging done different than other stocks?
Unless it is explicitly mentioned that the packaging is done for particular use like sale in train, theaters or certain food joints, the manufacturer cannot have different MRP for the same product.
Old 16th March 2011, 14:50   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Check this: Price as per the Village Hypermarket barcode Rs 350//Price on the MRP sticker (along with the import details): Rs 62
This is a very common malpractice followed to reduce the customs duty liability and others charges on imported stuff.

Typically all these duties are paid as a % on the MRP printed on the carton. The notorious importer strikes a deal with the exporter to ship him the goods with a fabricated price tag. Of course the price difference is settled outside the normal banking channel.

That said, you really cannot blame the Hypermarket guy for the inflated price tag because he is just a retailers who buys them for a inflated price tag from the importer.

My two cents!

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 16th March 2011 at 14:51.
Old 16th March 2011, 15:02   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post

Check this: Price as per the Village Hypermarket barcode Rs 350
Thanks for sharing the experience. I stay very close to Village and is a regular customer there, will keep this in mind.

I had the same experience in Brand Factory, Marathahalli. Bought a shirt for a teenager for around Rs. 750 after discount ( actual price was around Rs.1400). After removing the top label of brand factory, we found that the actual MRP was Rs. 650. It is a common practice in discount stores.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 16th March 2011 at 15:05.
Old 16th March 2011, 15:15   #59
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
This is a very common malpractice followed to reduce the customs duty liability and others charges on imported stuff.

Typically all these duties are paid as a % on the MRP printed on the carton. The notorious importer strikes a deal with the exporter to ship him the goods with a fabricated price tag. Of course the price difference is settled outside the normal banking channel.

That said, you really cannot blame the Hypermarket guy for the inflated price tag because he is just a retailers who buys them for a inflated price tag from the importer.

My two cents!
In most of the super market chains these guys put their own bar code for their logistics management. but the price is also printed in this. If one checks carefully most of the times this price is more than company prescribed MRP ( iam talking about Indian company products). If customer does not see, he loses, he sees apology was offered and company MRP was charged or told to get lost.
It happened to me at Big Bazaar several times. Once a prestige tava has to be bought. Big bazaar price was Rs 70 more than prestige price. Unfortunately they have stuck their bar code above the company MRP which was clearly visible. Big bazaar was offering 10% discount which is nothing but the Rs 70 charged extra. when pointed out the sales guy has the guts to say this" company price is old one , this is the latest price of company". I have pointed out that company MRP and date, were of last month. then he said, this our price if you want to buy, take it or leave it.
I bought it in neighborhood store at comapny MRP-10% discount

Kindly check the price difference between these Stores and neighborhood kirana store for groceries where there is no concept of MRP ( rice, dal etc) . the price difference is around 50% or even more per kg

Last edited by rkg : 16th March 2011 at 15:19.
Old 16th March 2011, 15:16   #60
BANNED

Did you have bill to prove the bottles were purchased from the shop? On what basis is a complaint acknowledged as valid on this site? Else anybody can put malicious complaints on the net (like rivals). Just curious.

--Ragul

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks