Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2015, 23:42   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Aero India: Feb 2015 at Yelahanka Air Force base, Bangalore

The biennial air show is slated to start from 18 Feb and last till 22 Feb at Yelahanka Air-force base Bangalore.

As per details on the site, ticket sales have started both online and through select counters of Axis bank.

Aero India website.

FAQ link

There are three variants of tickets - Business, Visitor Exhibition area and General visitor. The first two tickets cost a cool Rs. 2500, while general visitor tickets cost Rs. 600.

I am unable to make out any difference between Business and Visitor exhibition area tickets though.

Based on prior experience I would suggest avoiding the last day of air show since it tends to get very crowded.

Planning to go check out the tickets this weekend, will update based on the same.

Last edited by GTO : 29th January 2015 at 15:24. Reason: Typo
Old 29th January 2015, 15:25   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Aero India: Feb 2015 at Yelahanka Air Force base, Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
There are three variants of tickets - Business, Visitor Exhibition area and General visitor. The first two tickets cost a cool Rs. 2500, while general visitor tickets cost Rs. 600.
This pdf explains the differences.
Old 29th January 2015, 15:49   #3
BHPian

I would very much like to go to this with my son, but I got concerned when I read in one of the documents that there is absolutely no seating. Do they seriously expect visitors to stand on their feet all day? Or am I missing something and it only takes a few hours?
Old 3rd February 2015, 14:57   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
This pdf explains the differences.
Yes. But it is somewhat confusing, as per the pdf and Aero India site -

Earlier Aero India's had two entry tickets - Business and General.

This time instead they have three entry tickets - General (Same as earlier, hence not discussing), Business & Visitor Exhibition area (New category).

Quote:
Business Visitors
A business visitor can access the exhibition area and up to a certain area around the static display from 18 to 22 February 2015. They cannot access the chalet area of the exhibition.
and
Quote:
Visitors Exhibition Area (Only weekend)
A visitor can access all area excluding chalets and ADVA only on weekends.
Both tickets cost Rs 2500. So if you buy 'Visitor Exhibition Area' ticket, you end up with only visiting exhibition area (Since, Chalets and ADVA entry is banned). And that too you are allowed to visit only on a weekend.

Now, why would anyone keep a ticket option this way, since for the same amount you can get a business visitor pass. This allows you to visit Static display areas too.

Since earlier Aero India had only two options (Business and General entry) I am doubting there may be some other changes in entry criterion. I was to go check at Axis bank ticket counter regarding the same last week, however was unable to do that due to some other work. Will try to get an update coming Saturday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
I would very much like to go to this with my son, but I got concerned when I read in one of the documents that there is absolutely no seating.
Yes, there is no seating facility also apart from getting inside any exhibition stalls there is no way to escape the sun.

However, do note that though one ticket entry is for a whole day you can see all the programs in half a day. Usually they have two air shows per day.

The first starts in morning ~ 10.00 AM and extends till around lunch time.
The second starts around 02.00 PM and ends around 04.00 PM or so. These are repetitive programs and will be conducted on all days of the show. Hence if you reach the place early, you can visit the stalls, watch the show and return around noon.

Do remember to carry an umbrella. Also, do note that water bottles are not allowed inside air base. You can purchase the same once you enter the base though.
Old 3rd February 2015, 16:06   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Both tickets cost Rs 2500. So if you buy 'Visitor Exhibition Area' ticket, you end up with only visiting exhibition area (Since, Chalets and ADVA entry is banned). And that too you are allowed to visit only on a weekend.

Now, why would anyone keep a ticket option this way, since for the same amount you can get a business visitor pass. This allows you to visit Static display areas too.
I think this time around, the business passes are meant for 'business' visitors i.e. people with business interests with the Aero India exhibition. That is perhaps the reason to not allow children with business tickets.
The 'Visitor Exhibition Area' tickets are for general public who want to visit and see the static displays in the Exhibition Area. Hence restriction on visiting only during weekend when most of such visitors will come.
Old 16th February 2015, 12:20   #6
BHPian

Aero India 2015 - Rush for it!

With just 3 days to go for Asia's biggest aerospace and defence exhibition, the metal birds from different countries have already started to arrive at Yelahanka, Bangalore.

Rush for the tickets to your nearest Axis bank.

Go through this link for more information on types of tickets and about the show.
https://www.aeroindia.in/Default.aspx

I am planning to attend this Friday. What about my fellow BHPians??
Old 16th February 2015, 19:09   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Me and my friends just managed to get one of the last few tickets left in Axis bank today after running from the Jayanagar branch to Bannerghatta road to Koramangla. Finally in the K'mangla branch we got the last ten or so tickets. Had earlier thought of booking online but since this time we took ADVA passes we werent sure about redemption. Initially thought tickets were easily available, but it was proved otherwise. In contrast, last year I had been as a Business visitor and this time too I might go for both.

We shall be going this friday since we want to avoid weekend rush but it looks like everybody wants to do the same Hopefully the tickets are sold in limited numbers. Given the fact that there is no seating and Bengaluru is sunny these days, I sincerely hope that the crowd is not so much. Have never been to the ADVA though and this is the first time. Usually the exhibition has never been so crowded so far.

Who all coming on friday?
Old 16th February 2015, 21:43   #8
Senior - BHPian

I've been to these shows over the years.

The 2013 event was rather lack-lustre compared to previous events.
This news article (link) also confirms the same.

I felt at that time that I could have just watched them from the roadside rather taking the pain of getting tickets, entering the premises, parking, walking for long in the baking sun just to watch something that is flying in the sky and is clearly visible from outside too.

This thought has now gained strength - You don't need to go inside to watch the Airshow. You get the same view or better view of the flying beauties with very less effort (possibly sit in the comfort of your vehicle) on the Airport road outside.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 16th February 2015 at 21:58.
Old 16th February 2015, 22:26   #9
BHPian

Have been visiting the shows every time, plan to visit this time too. Initially will feel its quite boring to see the same stuff again and again but the excitement gets the better of me and I some how end up at the venue Checked around and found that Wingwalkers from sweden and Uk's aerobatic team are to look out for . If any of you know more about it please do post. I do see that the entry price for ADVA is 600 compared to 500 in 2013 IIRC.
Old 17th February 2015, 11:39   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Given the fact that there is no seating and Bengaluru is sunny these days, I sincerely hope that the crowd is not so much. Have never been to the ADVA though and this is the first time. Usually the exhibition has never been so crowded so far.

Who all coming on friday?
I have attended show several times. ADVA has limited chairs, if you want to grab one then be early to the show. Exhibition doesn't have seating facility as anyway you will be busy in visiting stalls. ADVA is a good view point to enjoy the aero show rather than watching it on main road.

In ADVA, one can see clearly runway, takeoff and landing which are really awesome things to watch. Many aircrafts display their short distance landing and take off capability on runway's. This is something you cannot watch from road.

This time some additional aerobatic teams are arriving. Last time I think Red Bulls were dominating the show. Along with them, now we have The Yakovlev Yak-55 (Soviet Union's), Scandinavian aerobatic team, Aero Super Batics, our LCA TEJAS, lightning Rafale and many more.
Old 18th February 2015, 11:59   #11
BHPian

Going on Saturday!

Had no plans to go till today morning, my reluctance was mainly due to the absence of Russian fighter jets in the 2015 edition. Dust and the sun discouraged my wife and kid till a family friend made them change their minds. Hasty decisions were taken, tickets were over in the bank and we got it online for the ADVA.

I had been to all the shows from 2001 to 2011 at least twice each time. The volume of visitors are ever increasing and so I would suggest potential visitors to think again before buying the expensive Business/General visitor tickets. The reason being that the stalls will be so crowded, you will be forced to keep moving, never getting a chance to spend time with something that interests you. The folks manning the stalls too won't be able to answer questions since it the flow of humanity is almost torrential. Even the static display aircraft will be kept well out of bounds and the large crowd would mean you probably wont get that FB cover page picture in front of the Fighting Falcon.

A good spot in the ADVA would mean you can see the airplanes flying and either their take-off or landing rolls reasonably close enough. GRAND23 is right in saying that many things would be missed if attempting to view from the road outside (assuming the police would permit stoppage there).

Personally a bit disappointed to see the aerobatics teams stealing the show. These are the skies where the Panavia Tornado rocked us in 2001, the MiG-35 made its stunning debut in 2007 and the awesome "shootout" for the MRCA with five of the six contestants roaring in 2011.

Last edited by sun_king : 18th February 2015 at 12:05. Reason: Corrected a factual error
Old 18th February 2015, 13:16   #12
BHPian

I'm a bit confused about buying a ticket vs registration. I got online and completed all details required for a visitors pass to AVDA and paid the 600 using my debit card. I got a successful reply, a mail giving my registration id and an SMS. Do I have to go to AXIS bank now? Or can I take a print out of the registration mail and directly go to the air show?

How bad would be traffic? I was planning to go early on Saturday. I'm asking since this is the first time I'll be going for the air show.

Last edited by nijelj : 18th February 2015 at 13:31. Reason: Now I know parking is available,hence deleted question
Old 18th February 2015, 13:26   #13
BHPian

The only thing worth watching taking off and land is the C130J. Other than that standing in the sun (as per forecast) for 2 hours would be a mighty task for ADVA only visitors. There are 5 aerobatics teams this time so it is going to be repetitive. I am going on two days...so hoping it is worth it.
Old 18th February 2015, 13:44   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijelj View Post
I'm a go to the air show?

How bad would be traffic? I was planning to go early on Saturday. I'm asking since this is the first time I'll be going for the air show.
Traffic wasn't a problem last year on weekdays. Not sure about ADVA but the business area parking and transfers were very well managed.

Axis bank has stopped issuing tickets as far as I know since they told us Monday was the last day. I think you can obtain the pass at the venue just like last time by showing the printout along with the ID proof.

People who have been to ADVA or are going today tomorrow, can you please let us know of any good spots to watch the show? Are there any high ground areas within ADVA from where we can get a good vantage point?

Also the parking area for ADVA looks quite small. I guess we have to go early there else I am afraid we might run out of parking space.
Old 18th February 2015, 16:14   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijelj View Post
I'm a bit confused about buying a ticket vs registration. I got online and completed all details required for a visitors pass to AVDA and paid the 600 using my debit card. I got a successful reply, a mail giving my registration id and an SMS. Do I have to go to AXIS bank now? Or can I take a print out of the registration mail and directly go to the air show?

As audioholic rightly mentioned, you need to carry a print out of registration. But this is not your ticket.
My advise is be as early as possible at the venue. There will be huge queue near the counter to collect the tickets. You need to show your registration print and ID card proof to collect the tickets.
It's always best to buy tickets from bank and directly enter the show to avoid queue.
The process in bank is very simple.

Walk-in to bank.
Meet the ticket counter.
Display your ID.
Collect the ticket.
Reach the show without much hassle.

Oh yeah, Expect heavy traffic on all show days.

If anyone travelling from whitefield or near by area, my sincere advise to them is to take route through Budigere. You will reach near Gate-8 and 9 without any traffic hassle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
People who have been to ADVA or are going today tomorrow, can you please let us know of any good spots to watch the show? Are there any high ground areas within ADVA from where we can get a good vantage point?
There are no high ground areas. It's a flat land. Carry umbrella or Hat.
ADVA has limited seating chair facility. Be early to grab one.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks