Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2006, 21:38   #31
BANNED

Man! do you really think he drove above 200kmph?
That should be just an overhyped story.

Even cars with red light on the roof these days are driven by children who unfortunately should be given a place in their mama's lap. As said earlier, children are not always good in decision making and this can lead to problems while driving a car.

Even I started driving from the age of 12. But it was'nt in the open roads and never I drove a car alone in an open road until I was 17 for sure. To satisfy once driving madness, there are always plenty of open maidaans, grounds, tracks etc.. and a parent should pay for using these facilities rather than buy an accord for his son.
Old 17th August 2006, 21:47   #32
BHPian

You guys seriously need to stop and think before making bold statements as if its the be all and end all. I in no way support the person/persons involved in this accident and any other but can anybody seriously prove that its only these "rich spoilt" brats involved in driving rash and underage?
I know I used to drive underage and received my license before turning 18.

IMHO, people need to stop generalising and need to start realising that there are more than two dimensions to every instance and every person and so on.

Someone mentioned, underage drivers not to be mature enough, so please let me ask you, what is the difference on June 2 when I'm officially 17 and on June 3rd and I'm 18 and suddenly allowed to drive? Maturity doesn't come with age, it comes with knowing with understanding, and until we have proper driving tests in place unlike the one in place where everybody bribes the RTO (guilty), only then will people learn driving safely and correctly.

P.S. I don't mean this against anybody personally but just wanted to put my views across.
Old 17th August 2006, 22:02   #33
BHPian

Well the fact that this 16yr old was driving an Accord, without any adult supervision, and racing with another driver, clearly shows the disrespect these rich spoilt kids have for the laws of our country. How could some parent hand over the keys of a really expensive car to his young kid without even supervising his stint in the driver's seat, if he himself was not earning way too much with not enought things to splurge on...
As for the police of our country, there is no need to highlight their utter incompetence. I just hope Mr. good samaritan D.K. Goel is not harassed in any way by either these cops or the hooligan relatives of the kid. You can easily see how difficult it was even for Mr. Goel to get the FIR registered, when he had to call his lawyers and his pvt security guys. In such a scenario one can easily think of what hardships an ordinary citizen, without any such liberties at his disposal, can face if he tries to help a fellow citizen.
I hope this case does not meet the same fate as that of the Gurgaon mishap where another of these brat spoilt kids, hit and critically injured the security guard of a residential colony.
There is no better person to instill the sense of resposibilty and lawfulness in these kids, than their parents. Hope this accident is able to prevent any such future mishaps, by awakening those who have dozed off.....
Old 17th August 2006, 22:08   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ess_a
Well the fact that this 16yr old was driving an Accord, without any adult supervision, and racing with another driver, clearly shows the disrespect these rich spoilt kids have for the laws of our country. How could some parent hand over the keys of a really expensive car to his young kid without even supervising his stint in the driver's .....
I doubt any parent would hand over the keys of an accord even to an 18 year old.These kids flick the keys or have duplicates which they use when their parents are not around.
For example,i have a friend who lives down my road..very very rich family.His parents are out of town and right now he is driving and audi A4, a C-class and a swift.How did he get the keys?Simple,he took them from the maid!!!

binz
Old 17th August 2006, 22:10   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess?
You guys seriously need to stop and think before making bold statements as if its the be all and end all. I in no way support the person/persons involved in this accident and any other but can anybody seriously prove that its only these "rich spoilt" brats involved in driving rash and underage?
No one is saying 'only'. One thing more... you are contradicting yourself... what do you mean if you use the adjectives "spoilt" and "brat"? My friend they are not the only ones, but surely comprise the majority. Anybody who knows the value of hard earned money, will surely not do what this guys parents did by handing over the brand new ACCORD!!!!

Quote:
I know I used to drive underage and received my license before turning 18.

IMHO, people need to stop generalising and need to start realising that there are more than two dimensions to every instance and every person and so on.
I also repeat what u have just said... just because you were sensible enough when a kid, doesnt mean that everybody else will be...
Old 17th August 2006, 22:13   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binz
I doubt any parent would hand over the keys of an accord even to an 18 year old.These kids flick the keys or have duplicates which they use when their parents are not around.
For example,i have a friend who lives down my road..very very rich family.His parents are out of town and right now he is driving and audi A4, a C-class and a swift.How did he get the keys?Simple,he took them from the maid!!!

binz
Oh man!!! Now god save this country's future.... I can very well imagine the hunger to drive early, but with this king of desperation and recklesness will only lead to such king of accidents. This kid in the car got lucky, not every one will...
Old 17th August 2006, 22:26   #37
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Someone mentioned, underage drivers not to be mature enough, so please let me ask you, what is the difference on June 2 when I'm officially 17 and on June 3rd and I'm 18 and suddenly allowed to drive? Maturity doesn't come with age, it comes with knowing with understanding, and until we have proper driving tests in place unlike the one in place where everybody bribes the RTO (guilty), only then will people learn driving safely and correctly.
I said that underage drivers *could* exhibit immature behaviour, I didn't say that every one of them will. I remember a web page put up by a grieving father, with a picture of his 19-year old son lost in a car accident. If I remember correctly, he was of the opinion that even 18 was not old enough to let the kid drive alone-- I think he said something like 21 was OK. Unfortunately, I am unable to find the page (which I saw several years ago). Anyway, age does matter to a certain extent in the maturing process-- plus lots of driving experience.

When I was young and driving on the highway, my father used to caution me to slow down whenever a village woman crosses the road well ahead of my car. Why? Because you can never be sure that she won't see some other vehicle coming the other way at the last possible moment and then come running back into your car's path! So if you prematurely turn on the gas, you could be in big trouble.

Similarly, recently in Mumbai I found that a car was reversing into the main road from the right side parking area just ahead of my car. I honked, he saw me and immediately slowed down to almost a dead stop. I took that as the green signal to proceed, and just as I was crossing his path, he *suddenly* increased his speed!! I think he completely misjudged where I was and thought I would pass him before he could hit me. I saw his action very peripherally from the corner of my eyes and did a reflex-action swerve to the left -- just averted the collision. I don't think I did that swerve consciously; if this had happened 31 years earlier (when I was 18) I would have been much younger and with quicker reactions, but I doubt if I would have averted the collision.

The problems with these scenarios is that you could have so easily have been misled into believing that everything was fine and drive without expecting an emergency. For kids to develop the right reflexes for these and plenty of other emergencies, there are no short-cuts -- only hard experience will do.
Old 17th August 2006, 22:28   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How true!.I agree.
one more point i would like to add,a person driving underage for 2-3 years(public road or not) will still be more mature in their driving habits than a person who starts driving on the day they turn 18.
Maturity doesnt matter while driving,responsibility does.We have examples too...salman Khan!He is nearly 40 and still drove UI.Is that maturity?I've seen 25 year olds do 120 in front of my house;now at 25 they are supposed to be mature right?.
More than knowing the value of your car,one must know the value of life.
Today i was crossing the road and i saw this lady in a M800 taking a right turn from a by lane onto the main road.I stood coz i knew it was going to be interesting.She nearly whacked two cars and she left the clutch in the middle of the road causing two unsuspecting bmtc drivers to nearly smash her car from opposite sides.Again she was responsible as well as mature(well i say this coz she was about 50) .But fact is she didnt know how to drive.

binz
Old 17th August 2006, 22:32   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks
. I don't think I did that swerve consciously; if this had happened 31 years earlier (when I was 18) I would have been much younger and with quicker reactions, but I doubt if I would have averted the collision.

For kids to develop the right reflexes for these and plenty of other emergencies, there are no short-cuts -- only hard experience will do.
I swear by this statement.I had an experience which involved a tree and me in the santro which i do not wish to discuss here Pm for full story.
Old 17th August 2006, 22:47   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak
Man! do you really think he drove above 200kmph?
That should be just an overhyped story.
I also dont think that accord was doing 200kmph...The condition of the vehicle in the pic isn't that bad at all...
Old 17th August 2006, 22:58   #41
BANNED

Sad incident. Hope it sorts itself out according to the law as it is laid down, and not how it is practised by our corrupt cops.

W12: Riding a cycle on public roads is legal. Sleeping on the footpath isn't. If you don't get that, I guess you never will, so I won't say anymore.
Old 17th August 2006, 23:00   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Maturity doesn't come with age, it comes with knowing with understanding,
You are right, maturity doesn't come with age. But it comes with experience, extensive experience doing something repeatedly in various situations. Look back 5 years, do you think you were as mature as now? Same thing happens 5,10,15,20... years later, you look back and think "What was I thinking?" Most of us have gone multiple phases like that. Most of us have done and said stupid things in our youth and do cringe when we think about it, it looked alright then...
Old 17th August 2006, 23:00   #43
Senior - BHPian

I don't support minor driving vehicles on public roads but sometimes I wonder about the following.

How would people have reacted to this news item if the driver was 28 years old ?
Old 17th August 2006, 23:02   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Shiva
W12: Riding a cycle on public roads is legal. Sleeping on the footpath isn't. If you don't get that, I guess you never will, so I won't say anymore.
Good grief, don't people understand satire...
Old 17th August 2006, 23:10   #45
BANNED

Actually I do. W12 is dragging out an old argument that began in another thread where two pavement dwellers got run over. A lot of his satire/sarcasm is directed at comments I made in that thread.

Anyways, this is way off topic. Please edit/delete whatever's neccessary.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks