Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2006, 08:37   #1
Senior - BHPian

Delhi Accident: Underage drag race

Damn.. i hate these underage drivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://cities.expressindia.com/fullstory.php?newsid=197064
Minor rams cyclist in Vasant Kunj drag race
16-year-old student of G D Goenka School, son of a property dealer, caught by witnesses; cyclist in critical condition
Express News Service

New Delhi, August 16: A minor student allegedly racing a friend down Nelson Mandela Marg in a Honda Accord rammed into a cyclist last night, critically injuring him, and then tried to flee the accident spot.

The 16-year-old student of G D Goenka school tried to slip away as eyewitness Dinesh Kumar Goel, Chairman of FIIT-JEE, tended to the victim — 25-year-old milkman Ramesh — but was caught by Goel’s driver Umesh. Ramesh is battling for life at the nearby Indian Spinal Injuries Centre in Vasant Kunj.

Advertisement
Goel says two cars zoomed past him as he was travelling down the road in his Toyota Corolla with his wife. “The two drivers were driving at very high speed. A few seconds later one of the cars crashed into the pavement. I immediately rushed to help the driver as smoke was coming out of the vehicle,” he adds.

On reaching the accident spot, Goel found the student had managed to get out of the Accord (registration number HR26A D0115). A milkman was lying in a pool of blood nearby with the mangled remains of a cycle by his side.

“As we diverted our attention to the victim, the juvenile tried to flee but was caught by my driver...” Goel said. The student’s father Harish Gehlot runs two primary schools in Najafgarh and also has a property business. The Gehlots stay in Vasant Kunj. A Supreme Court lawyer Rajiv Singh says he also witnessed the accident.

The Police Control Room responded quickly and despatched a PCR van immediately. Meanwhile, Goel took Ramesh to the Spinal Injuries centre.

There was high drama at the Vasant Kunj Police Station once Gehlot arrived there with 15-20 relatives. “The police officers were hesitant to register an FIR, but buckled under media pressure when surrounded by TV cameras,” Goel says.

Ramesh who belongs to Allahabad, where his wife and three children still live, had been working as a milkman at a dairy in Masoodpur village for the last few years.

He is the sole breadwinner of his family. His employer, Rajbir Yadav, who reached the police station said Ramesh’s family had been informed in Allahabad and his elder brother was on the way to Delhi.
Hats off to DKG though. Lets hope he doesnt succumb to the any pressure from the accused's father.

Last edited by DCEite : 17th August 2006 at 08:41.
Old 17th August 2006, 08:54   #2
BHPian

Sad, very sad. Hope the milkman recovers soon.
Old 17th August 2006, 09:01   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hindustan times says he was doing 200kmph
Old 17th August 2006, 09:17   #4
Senior - BHPian

Then it must be a Accord V6. Any more links to this incident? When did it talke place?
Old 17th August 2006, 09:34   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
There was high drama at the Vasant Kunj Police Station once Gehlot arrived there with 15-20 relatives. “The police officers were hesitant to register an FIR, but buckled under media pressure when surrounded by TV cameras,” Goel says.
Imagine what it takes to file FIR in this country. This is the same story everywhere, the poilce don't file FIR until they know who is involved. Then they are open to negotiations, if the culprit is willing to pay them they will never file the FIR. It takes enormous pressure from victim's side to get a FIR filed. Anybody who has tried to file a FIR knows what I am talking about.
Old 17th August 2006, 11:03   #6
Awaiting Email Confirmation

this is the most insane thing I've heard...I think the problem that our country is facing,is lack of responsibility from parents.especially those who have the money but dont have time for their kids.t makes me wonder is money the only way out nowadays to keep your kids happy?And learning from this I believe we as a forum shouldnt promote underage people on the web.
Old 17th August 2006, 11:03   #7
Senior - BHPian

What a nice police force we have ? When in times of need they are absolutely useless ! Won't file FIR, won't take anyone to hospitals, will sleep at job during night, will fleece truckers for brining overladen trucks into the national capital, will sell tickets in black outside Pragati Maidan during Auto Expo !!

It is just the middle-class (aka the taxpayers) who are hurt by such incompetents, the dilli-billi politicians have already secured themselves with NSG/SPG/CRPF/Private Security Guards on call etc.
Old 17th August 2006, 11:04   #8
BHPian

Just wondering, can the minor be jailed for this?
Isn't the law lax on those below 18?
Old 17th August 2006, 13:20   #9
BHPian

What is a cyclewallah doing on this road?

To paraphrase some responses I got for my similar post earlier...

What is a cyclist doing in a high speed road in a posh colony? He should be near his slum , not in this road or better still in his hometown

This road is for us car wallhs to drag and race..

Why did he not take evasive action when he saw an accord coming to him at 200 kmph?

There is too much population in India and that is the problem..

accidents do happen ..it is a mistake from both sides , wrong person at wrong time etc..etc.. etc..
Old 17th August 2006, 13:35   #10
Team-BHP Support

W12?? I don't know what you're trying to say, but you sure as hell haven't got the point across!
Old 17th August 2006, 13:40   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
W12?? I don't know what you're trying to say, but you sure as hell haven't got the point across!
Rtech..

These are some of the excuses which were posted earlier for running over pavement dwellers in mumbai ( my earlier post )

So I guess it is just a matter of time before you hear similar ones now.. So I took the liberty of paraphrasing some of them to suit the current context..

Hope you got the point now !!
Old 17th August 2006, 13:42   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
Is he bringing up a reference to the post on pavement dwellers being run over I wonder....and all the back & forth about whether they should have been sleeping on the pavement in the first place?
Come on W12, I don't think this was appropriate.....
Old 17th August 2006, 13:46   #13
Senior - BHPian

just because someone has the money to buy fast cars doesnt give them a right to own other peoples lives .What ppl need is a lesson in humility and the value of life .
Old 17th August 2006, 13:50   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman
I don't think this was appropriate.....
Suman, I mentioned in the first line I was paraphrasing some possible responses , from my previous experience.

These are certainly not my views..my views on rash driving are well known, from the earlier thread

Thought a dose of Sarcasm helps..apparently it hasn't
Old 17th August 2006, 14:30   #15
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by w 12
What is a cyclist doing in a high speed road in a posh colony? He should be near his slum , not in this road or better still in his hometown
No citizen of independent India needs specific permission nor entry visa for a residential colony, whether posh or dilapidated.

High speed road? Which road in the world allows 200 kmph?
Not even the autostradas of Italy, where Ferraris, Lamborghinis and Maseratis are born.
Only a race-track, and even that after the driver has signed on a form waiving away any rights to claim accident insurance.

Only one industrialized country officially allows unlimited speeds on portions of its public highways, Germany! The German autobahns have no speed limits for cars only when they pass through forests and unpopulated rural sections.
And even there, the speed limit between 7 pm and 6 am is restricted to 125 km/h. However for insurance purposes, on a clear open autobahn in daytime, in good dry weather, the maximum recommended upper speed (Richtgeschwindigkeit) is 130 km/h.

Even German autobahns apply an 80 km/h speed-limit in areas which have buildings (homes and offices) or dense traffic.

Trucks, buses, and cars pulling trailers may not exceed 100 km/h even while driving through forests and unpopulated rural sections.

In an accident, the insurance company may refuse to pay if the driver drove at a speed which the lawyers consider as unsafe for the weather and road conditions.

Speed limits on the Autobahn are factored by the "3 C's": Condition (on both road and weather), Construction, and Congestion.
In the case of the stupid kid with his father's Accord, the mere presence of the cyclist was reason enough to impose a legal speed limit. IMHO, he should have stuck to his "Need for Speed" computer game.
Now he will have to grow up in a municipal home for juvenile delinquents as he is underage for jail.

Quote:
This road is for us car wallahs to drag and race..
In any road in the whole world, a drag racer would be arrested on the spot, just for being behind the wheel of a drag racer.
And his copassenger for aiding and abetting the crime of drag racing. And his drag machine would be confiscated. Only on a drag-race speedway and only after signing a document accepting full liability can one even participate in a drag race.

Quote:
Why did he not take evasive action when he saw an accord coming to him at 200 kmph?
Simple. Because at 200 kmph too much happens too soon ! That is why, in US residential areas, cars are not legally permitted to drive over 48 km/h within city limits.

You can be cited and punished for driving over 104 km/h, even on a deserted Interstate freeway!
If someone does so and gets away with it, it is accidental!
If he gets caught, he deserves to be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law!
[/quote]

Quote:
There is too much population in India and that is the problem..
So, do you suggest that because of the population, Honda Accords and other fast cars should be made illegal in India? Or is the population illegal?

Quote:
accidents do happen ..it is a mistake from both sides , wrong person at wrong time etc..etc.. etc..
The kid in the Accord was the wrong person, in the wrong seat of the car, at the wrong time in his life (he wasn't old enough).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks