Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2015, 11:37   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Fast & Furious 7!

First of all, the FF7 makers have pulled off a super hit (Commercially) movie after Paul's untimely death. They have gone beyond and immortalized him in the movie. Can't remember any movie wherein they have paid a respectable tribute to a star cast member like this one.

I enjoyed the movie as normal film goer. But as a car enthusiast, it pains. Every time Dom is caught in cross fire or a duel, just when we expect the car and Dom to do something racy, the makers have just crashed the cars as well as us pointlessly. Driving off a cliff and multiple sky scrappers, head on collision, seriously? Is this Die Hard or F&F?

F&F has entered the Superhuman genre and Dom can now officially be inducted in Avengers crew.

Historically this has happened to Taxi and The Transporter series. The first lot has raw real action while the subsequent ones drift towards disbelief.

I had to watch BULLITT the very next day to get a dose of old school car action.
Old 6th April 2015, 13:48   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
...from being a car movie with some action, Fast & Furious is now a (silly) action movie with 'some cars thrown in' just for effect...
Something I had said in my earlier post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer1881 View Post
Fast & Furious may have started out as a car movie but over the years it has evolved into a caper franchise. The cars are just there - as a means to put in some high octane action set pieces. It is as much about cars today as off-roading is about Ferraris.
That does not make it a bad movie. It just makes it different. And I loved it. It is a pure action movie and it makes no pretenses to be otherwise. What you see is what you get. Plain and simple. Not every movie has to have a plot to be fun. Plot-less movies are more fun because they are mindless. It is when a movie is unsure of what it wants to become that things get boring. Furious 7 is clear. It is an action caper. It has high-octane unbelievable levels of action, something that might give Superman a run for his money. So what? It succeeded in me suspending my disbelief for those two and a quarter hours. That is a win.

I deliberately avoided the 3D because to me 2D to 3D in post is just gimmicky. For 3D, you need to shoot the movie in 3D.

PS: I am going to watch this at least twice more .
Old 6th April 2015, 15:26   #33
BHPian

Entertaining dumb movie. Having been fan of the series since the beginning, that ending just brought tears out of my eyes.

RIP Paul.
Old 6th April 2015, 16:22   #34
BHPian

It's the first and last song of F&F which makes you cry (Wiz Khalifa - See You again). It's for the man who gave us the knowledge that how a well tuned Japanese car can beat an established European car by spirited driving. He made us love the Skyline and the Supra. In the farewell, the same man changing his lane for the last time is heartbreaking because the bitter truth is he won't come back to his old lane again, that is we won't see him again. Hope you are reading this, Paul Walker. I will be waiting for you at an intersection.
Old 9th April 2015, 14:18   #35
BHPian

Watched F&F7 in Imax 3d as I really wanted to experience the stuff. Have to agree that some of the actions were overdone. But the final 5-10 mins of climax was the most difficult to handle with helicopters, missile shooting drones, collapsing buildings, lot of high tech gadgetry and unending bomb blasts. Looked like US was more under terrorist attack than a gang war. And it felt like watching the climax of a bond movie or expendables etc

Have to stay the story was pukka hollywoodish action types, with practically no sense anywhere. Lost a little ground after being turned into a more world saving movie with explosions, machine guns and all. The story was no more cars or surrounding cars. Something we expect out of F&F series. The other thing that kept striking me was the total lack of safety concern of the drivers. Even during the high speed chases and crashes, neither the driver nor the passenger appeared to have been wearing seat belts. In one of the scenes, Vin Diesel asks the passenger to wear a helmet before flying his car down a cliff, while he himself didnt seem to need one -- looked like his bald head was thick enough to handle any crash. And none of the cars seemed to have air bags at all. Didnt see a single airbag popping up even during the full frontal crashes. The guys just stepped out of the cars unscathed though the cars were totalled, making me wonder who is made of steel - the rides or its drivers. Also couldnt understand how the team got out of Abu Dhabi so easily after doing so much damage and that too to one of their iconic set of towers and messing with the prince of Abu dhabi. As I said earlier, it was all nonsense.

But then the action scenes except for the final 10-15 mins were gripping most of the times and have to admit had some pretty new and exciting stuff. And Imax 3d just made it better.

FundaG
Old 9th April 2015, 15:22   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300 KMPH View Post
...how a well tuned Japanese car can beat an established European car by spirited driving...
Umm, except for the BMWs in Fast 6, F&F has always been about Japanese imports versus American Muscle.
Old 9th April 2015, 22:25   #37
BHPian

Saw the movie today with absolutely no expectations.

Enjoyed the action sequences and cars smashing into one another. Adrenaline rush from start to finish.

The tribute to Paul Walker was a bit cheesy in my opinion and could have been better.

A good one time watch movie.
Old 10th April 2015, 13:52   #38
BHPian

My head was spinning for hours after leaving the theater...whoa, what was that?

I think we can give bollywood a break for all the physics defying action sequences and gratuitous peekaboo of cleavages and skin. What had started out as an enjoyable action franchise had to finally end with the cliched and the grotesque.

Do yourself a favour, buy yourself an ice cream with the price of admission
Old 10th April 2015, 16:16   #39
BHPian

Some more bad publicity for the movie

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...extra-set.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks