Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2015, 22:07   #1
BHPian

Encashing a USA cheque in India?

All, I Wanted to know if anyone has any experience in Encashing a Cheque originating from USA and dropped at any of the Indian Banks.

Also want to know which bank would be most suited and quick in completing this kind of transaction.

Please share the experience or knowledge about the same. Thanks

Last edited by GTO : 7th March 2015 at 15:29. Reason: Typo
livyodream is offline   Received Infraction
Old 6th March 2015, 22:14   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Encashing a USA cheque in India?

Any Bank will accept the cheque. I have found ICICI to be quick compared to the rest. If you know the Bank Manager and they know you well, they can even encash it as soon as you present it

Last edited by srishiva : 6th March 2015 at 22:17.
Old 6th March 2015, 22:25   #3
Senior - BHPian

I had encashed a US check here in ICICI bank. I got the money credited in 2 weeks or so. This was in 2007-08. The check was a tax refund check.
Old 6th March 2015, 22:54   #4
Team-BHP Support

I remember depositing US cheque in Vijaya Bank in 2004. Since the manager knew me, he even offered cheque discounting. I wasn't in any hurry, so I let it come naturally in a month. Must be lot quicker these days.
Old 6th March 2015, 23:15   #5
Senior - BHPian

You can go to your bank and fill up the cheque deposit receipt meant for overseas banks' cheques. Mind you the proceeds will be credited to your account after accounting for currency variations and bank charges etc. You cannot discount it for cash payout, my experience pertains only to current account transactions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
All, I Wanted to know if anyone has any experience in Enacashing a Cheque originating from US of A and dropped at any of the Indian Banks.

Also want to know which back would be most suited and quick in completing this kind of transaction.

Please share the experience or knowledge about the same. Thanks
Old 7th March 2015, 00:29   #6
BHPian

AFAIK you cannot get cash in hand for the cheque. You will have to deposit the cheque in your account. The amount deposited in your account will be according to that days exchange rate minus the bank charges. I have done this twice for my tax returns. I have my account in Bank of Baroda. They took 4-5 working days.
Old 7th March 2015, 00:53   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

You get it at the current transaction rate, minus bank charges (I guess wire transfer rates). The clearance time will vary to a couple of weeks max.
Old 7th March 2015, 02:03   #8
BHPian

Thanks for the quick reply .

As it looks like many of you have used this feature, let me ask another question.

For say one receives multiple cheques from the clients in the US to a virtual office located in US, what would be the quickest way to transfer it to US account or Indian account? Sending the cheques through courier to India and then for clearance will take a month probably.

Has anyone got into a situation like this?
Old 7th March 2015, 05:37   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
Thanks for the quick reply .
As it looks like many of you have used this feature, let me ask another question. For say one receives multiple cheques from the clients in the US to a virtual office located in US, what would be the quickest way to transfer it to US account or Indian account? Sending the cheques through courier to India and then for clearance will take a month probably. Has anyone got into a situation like this?
Depositing amounts <$1k to US bank account can be done through mobile phone, by taking a picture of the check using Android/iPhone Apps. For larger amounts it can be deposited at ATMs or brick and mortar banks. It would clear in a day. The US bank can then wire transfer the amount to Indian bank for a fee. That takes 2 days. Or use ACH transfer that takes 4 days. Most Indian banks with NRI banking allow for such ACH transfers from US bank accounts.

Setting up ACH transfer accounts for the first time does take a few days (a week)
Old 7th March 2015, 08:30   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
For say one receives multiple cheques from the clients in the US to a virtual office located in US, what would be the quickest way to transfer it to US account or Indian account?
Quote:
Depositing amounts <$1k to US bank account can be done through mobile phone, by taking a picture of the check using Android/iPhone Apps.
This will probably vary from Bank to Bank and to an extent will also depend on the Overdraft Limits you have . Given the scenario this looks to be a best solution , just check with your Bank on limit part . Sending fund to India via SWIFT is pretty easy and can be done online using Internet Banking .

You can have an EEFC USD account opened with your local bank in India to park the USD for your company or can get SWIFT converted to INR as per exchange rate on settlement date . If you will have some USD expenses , opening EEFC account will be a better option

http://rbi.org.in/scripts/FAQView.aspx?Id=21

Last edited by Turbanator : 7th March 2015 at 08:36.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks