Team-BHP - PIO/OCI Queries
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   PIO/OCI Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/162401-pio-oci-queries-8.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 4605593)

2) We are trying to apply for learning license at sarathi.parivahan.gov.in site. Do OCI applicants pick Application For Foreigner Licence(LL) - Foreigners (But not Diplomats) category or just apply as Indian?

Never knew there was any sort of foreign category for driving licences. During my more-than-decade of driving here, from learner's licence through to address change and renewal, RTO have never raised any question of my nationality. And, unlike most of the OCIs that I know, I am obviously visibly foreign.

Quote:

Originally Posted by s4ch (Post 4605719)
Sorry but this is not correct. I have renewed my passport and travelled many times using my OCI that mentions previous passport details. I do always carry my previous passport but have NEVER been asked to show it.

The only time an OCI may need to be renewed is as mentioned below, even then I know several people who have travelled back and forth many times below 20 / above 50 with renewed passports and never had an issue.

This is helpful and a new learning. Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 4605705)
He is 18 years old, so OCI has to be re-issued I think. I tried to apply online, it took me on a ride and it somehow assumed I am applying for a fresh OCI. Some fields are really confusing.

Now it wants me to upload his PIO instead of OCI. I will retry some other day.

After this failed, I had not tried it for a while, and then pandemic happened. Then the whole things slipped our mind.

Now when I looked up, the rules have changed.

https://ociservices.gov.in/MiscNew.pdf

PIO/OCI Queries-fullscreen-capture-11072021-105803.bmp.jpg

So I applied for OCI Miscellaneous Service for updating my son's OCI after two years of renewing this passport. First attempt in 2019 failed because the old OCI portal took me for a raid. After that our address changed and getting the address updated and spelling fixed in my son's name in aadhar card took few more months. Then the pandemic started and everything fell apart.

Now there is a new portal started after July 15th 2021.

It was a smooth process, I uploaded the photo, signature, OCI, new Passport and aadhaar card for address proof. Then it made me print out the OCI Misc Service form with all the entered data and even the photo/signature in the form.

Now I am supposed to submit the form along with the copies of the uploaded documents.

However, I have couple of questions:
1) Submit how? Can I send it via courier and they expect me to hand deliver it and collect ACK? It is not mentioned anywhere. There is a red notice in the web saying In the backdrop of outbreak of COVID-19, no foreigners are allowed to visit the FRRO Office for OCI/Registrations and other Visa related services without prior appointment till further orders.
2) Since the photo is already pre-printed on the form, do I need to submit a physical photo too?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 5116675)
1) Submit how? Can I send it via courier and they expect me to hand deliver it and collect ACK? It is not mentioned anywhere. There is a red notice in the web saying In the backdrop of outbreak of COVID-19, no foreigners are allowed to visit the FRRO Office for OCI/Registrations and other Visa related services without prior appointment till further orders.
2) Since the photo is already pre-printed on the form, do I need to submit a physical photo too?

Call them directly on their phone number and you can walk into their Shanthi Nagar office (parking in MLCP). Had been there towards the end of last year, there was no crowd whatsoever. You may need to carry a copy of all the documents too, there is a photocopy center towards the right side of this building which I used. I think I did submit photographs. The verification & remaining process happened very quickly afterwards though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 5116675)
Now I am supposed to submit the form along with the copies of the uploaded documents.

The same notice says For appointment, contact respective FRRO Support Centers as given below:

PIO/OCI Queries-screenshot-20210803-13.27.50.png

If you call them I believe they will give you a date and time to go there. They are normally reasonably helpful. Best take copies of all documents and photographs and submit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 5098934)
After this failed, I had not tried it for a while, and then pandemic happened. Then the whole things slipped our mind.

Now when I looked up, the rules have changed.

https://ociservices.gov.in/MiscNew.pdf

Attachment 2177762

This was confusing. Had tried in May but the message was to wait until July. All I needed to do was upload my photo, new passport, a workplace letter and I'm done....I hope!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmat (Post 5116897)
This was confusing. Had tried in May but the message was to wait until July. All I needed to do was upload my photo, new passport, a workplace letter and I'm done....I hope!

You also need to submit to the FRRO once it spits out the filled up form. Isn't it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kosfactor (Post 5116712)
Call them directly on their phone number and you can walk into their Shanthi Nagar office (parking in MLCP).

I had emailed yesterday since I didn't want to miss out the details. Got a reply today morning.

Quote:

Please submit application in person as per enclosed checklist on any working day between Monday to Friday except Govt. holiday (09.45hrs to 13.00hrs) (Walk in)

Applicant aged 5 yrs and above should physically present during submission of application alongwith parents.

For applicant below 5 yrs, any one of the parent should present during submission of application at this office with authorization from other(wife/husband) and all pages should attested by both parents including application.
They also added a OCI checklist. I have attached it. There is a demand draft requirement too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 5116926)
You also need to submit to the FRRO once it spits out the filled up form. Isn't it?

Nope. OCI needs only be reissued once the child crosses 20 years old. There was a need to reissue once you cross 50 but that has been rescinded unless you change your name/residence etc. You just need to upload your latest photo and passport.

Name:  Screenshot 20210804 at 11.35.29 PM.png
Views: 336
Size:  100.6 KB

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmat (Post 5117752)
OCI needs only be reissued once the child crosses 20 years old.

Been racking my brains to see if I need to get my OCI reissued or not. Any help would be much appreciated.

I got my OCI when I was 17 in 2008. Next passport renewal was done when I was 26 in 2017. At that time there was no requirement for me to renew my OCI.

Now with the new laws of having to reissue OCI after getting a new passport after 20, does this apply to me? My passport renewal was done 5+ years ago when there were no such laws, so can I just wait and get it done after my next passport renewal in 2027? I am currently in India and a bit wary of starting the process here in case it gets delayed and I have to travel abroad (won’t be able to exit without the OCI in hand?) but also won’t be able to go to my home country before the deadline of Dec 31, 2022 to get it done either.

Suggestions?

Has anyone done this in India? If so how long did it take and do you know if it is possible in Pune or has to be done at Mumbai?

Really appreciate any help, thanks.

Renewed the OCI for my son when he crossed 20 in April 2022
It took us around 4 weeks to get the renewed OCI card and yes you have to visit Mumbai.

You can also write to ( ic-oci-mum@nic.in) with your queries, the responses may be delayed but they will reply.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrswift (Post 5439303)
Renewed the OCI for my son when he crossed 20 in April 2022
It took us around 4 weeks to get the renewed OCI card and yes you have to visit Mumbai.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

How long did it take in the FRRO office in Mumbai? Any hassle or straightforward?

Also did you have to go back to Mumbai to pick it up or do they courier to you?

How did you make the payment?

And most importantly were you able to keep the original passport and OCI with you after making the application?

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by s4ch (Post 5439766)
Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

How long did it take in the FRRO office in Mumbai? Any hassle or straightforward?

Also did you have to go back to Mumbai to pick it up or do they courier to you?

How did you make the payment?

And most importantly were you able to keep the original passport and OCI with you after making the application?

Thanks!

It did not take much time in Mumbai FRRO (less than 30 minutes), We had scheduled an appointment and it was smooth.

Yes, we had to visit Mumbai personally to collect OCI card.

The original passport and OCI was with us until we received the new OCI. They will collect the old OCI when they issue new OCI.

Application and required documents were uploaded online and for payment, we prepared the DD in Pune before visiting Mumbai.

Hope this helps