Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2016, 09:57   #46
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
Has anyone heard back on their PIO-OCI conversion? Approximately how much time did it take after submitting the online application?
I finally emailed them, and this is the reply I got. This means we have to actually visit the FRRO and submit the application.

Quote:
Dear Sir,

You have to submit the application form alongwith relevant documents and originals in this office between 09.30 to 01.00pm on working days.

Regards,
In addition, they sent a list of documents required for the application. Some of these are new. Earlier, in another place the requirement was only current passport and PIO card copy.

1) The new passport details need to be endorsed in PIO. My son was issued PIO on his first US passport, now he is on his 4th US passport. None of those have been endorsed, and I was not told about such requirement in last 13 years when I had dealt with FRRO dozens of times.

2) They want copy of the old passport on which PIO was issued. That first passport expired in 2005, I hope it is somewhere safe. I need to visit multiple places to hunt for it.

3) They need two address proofs, not sure whether it is either one or both. Home owner ID or letter from him is going to be tough since he lives abroad.

4) Applicant is minor, so we need to produce base documents submitted during PIO application in 2003. I hope birth certificate + parents passports should be enough.

5) Photograph requirements have further changed, the applicant should wear no spectacles. My son has been wearing glasses since he was 9. His US passport photo has glasses. And he looks different without glasses. Won't this cause problems?

PIO/OCI Queries-oci-lieu-pio-card.jpg
Old 29th March 2016, 13:03   #47
Team-BHP Support

Re: PIO/OCI Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I finally emailed them, and this is the reply I got. This means we have to actually visit the FRRO and submit the application.

In addition, they sent a list of documents required for the application. Some of these are new. Earlier, in another place the requirement was only current passport and PIO card copy.

1) The new passport details need to be endorsed in PIO. My son was issued PIO on his first US passport, now he is on his 4th US passport. None of those have been endorsed, and I was not told about such requirement in last 13 years when I had dealt with FRRO dozens of times.

2) They want copy of the old passport on which PIO was issued. That first passport expired in 2005, I hope it is somewhere safe. I need to visit multiple places to hunt for it.

3) They need two address proofs, not sure whether it is either one or both. Home owner ID or letter from him is going to be tough since he lives abroad.

4) Applicant is minor, so we need to produce base documents submitted during PIO application in 2003. I hope birth certificate + parents passports should be enough.

5) Photograph requirements have further changed, the applicant should wear no spectacles. My son has been wearing glasses since he was 9. His US passport photo has glasses. And he looks different without glasses. Won't this cause problems?

Attachment 1491538
1: I had a similar issue - I provided all passports. New passport was not in the PIO card. I just need to produce original passport

2: Address proof - AADhar card. driving licence, rental agreement might work

3: Base documents should be enough

4: Not an issue - my PP has specs but OCI is barefaced

MAke 3 copies of all documents, prepare the DD and be prepared for a long morning. You need not bring kids for submission but they are required during collection
Old 29th March 2016, 18:06   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Samurai, ajmat, thanks: you have answered all the questions I was going to ask FRRO!
Old 18th April 2016, 14:42   #49
BHPian

OK, so I went to the FRRO in Bangalore today to convert my son's PIO to OCI.

First thing to note is that the Central AC no longer works and they have put a strange sun-film on all the windows which makes you feel as if you have entered a cave.

When the person at the PIO-OCI counter saw my application, he said that the affixed photograph must match the one I had uploaded on their website (the one I had taken from my mobile). His supervisor confirmed this and asked me to go to an Internet center below, scan the photograph, upload it via the web, reprint the first page of the application and return with it so that they can process it.

As chance would have it, they gave the application to an underling who was tasked with checking all PIO/OCI applications. He said the photograph is fine and corroborated that all the documents are in order. Basically they need the current passport, old passport (on which the PIO card was taken) and the PIO card. I got a receipt for my trouble. No DD/cash needs to be paid as the conversion is free.

The supervisor was sheepish after that and he told me that one never really knows what goes on in the minds of those in Delhi. When I asked him whether all the documents I submitted -- the copy of the birth certificate, parents passports, telephone bill and affidavit that our son is living in our house -- is required, he replied that those in Delhi prefer as much information as they can get. When I asked whether I will get the new OCI card in 42 days as advertised, he said they are backed up these days with the conversion and it could take anywhere from 2 to 4 months.
Old 18th April 2016, 14:45   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
When the person at the PIO-OCI counter saw my application, he said that the affixed photograph must match the one I had uploaded on their website (the one I had taken from my mobile). His supervisor confirmed this and asked me to go to an Internet center below, scan the photograph, upload it via the web, reprint the first page of the application and return with it so that they can process it.
Oh, boy. You saved me some trouble. However, it may not be possible to upload the photo again.
Old 18th April 2016, 14:52   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Oh, boy. You saved me some trouble. However, it may not be possible to upload the photo again.
Just click the "OCI Image Upload/Re-upload" link at https://passport.gov.in/oci/welcome

I did that for my son's latest signature yesterday, that same page also allows you to change the photograph. It just never struck me that they would insist on the uploaded image being a match for the photograph especially considering that I took some pictures from my phone of the PIO card and passport (instead of scanning them) and they never bothered.
Old 19th April 2016, 16:37   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Just click the "OCI Image Upload/Re-upload" link at https://passport.gov.in/oci/welcome
Got a fresh photo taken and uploaded. Then I noticed that the face needs to have 80% coverage.

"Photograph to be affixed on the application should be a square shape of size not less than 51*51mm (with 80% coverage of face). It should have plain light color background (not white) without the border with front view of person's head and shoulders showing the full face in middle of the photograph."

How do you have 80% of face and yet have shoulder showing the full face in the middle of the picture? There is no way to have 80% face and then have shoulder in the same pic.
Old 19th April 2016, 18:07   #53
BHPian

Quote:
How do you have 80% of face and yet have shoulder showing the full face in the middle of the picture? There is no way to have 80% face and then have shoulder in the same pic.
Yeah, that puzzled me too. One of the reasons why I didn't take the scanned photograph too seriously.

I would suggest at this point you go to the FRRO and try your luck. No amount of preparation is going to be enough for our babus if on that day the stars conspire against you.

By the way, it doesn't seem necessary for your child to be present. Though I am not sure, that's what it looked like to me. No one asked for my son and he was mostly hanging around some 20 feet away from me looking very disinterested.

When I first went to the PIO/OCI counter, the official said I should have brought two copies of my application. When I told him that nowhere on the website does it mention two copies, he said one is fine but two is better. I told him I will go down and get some photocopies, but a few minutes later they forgot all about it.

By the way, I got an email from the OCI Helpdesk (helpdesk-oci@gov.in) soon after I left FRRO:

Quote:
Dear name,

OCI-Application received and is under process.
So now I know I have made contact.
Old 21st April 2016, 11:26   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
When I asked him whether all the documents I submitted -- the copy of the birth certificate, parents passports, telephone bill and affidavit that our son is living in our house -- is required, he replied that those in Delhi prefer as much information as they can get.
The affidavit is required too?

The flat owner is yet to deliver the newly renewed lease from abroad. Won't the BSNL telephone bill alone do as address proof? It is in my name.

I was planning to go today, now these new requirements are making me wonder.
Old 21st April 2016, 12:35   #55
BHPian

Quote:
The affidavit is required too?
Affidavit is a short signed note on plain paper by the owner (in this case, us) that our child lives with us. Nothing fancy, no stamp paper, notarization, etc. I don't think it is even required but I only added it because I saw it somewhere. Why don't you just write a note that your child lives with you when in India? I doubt they even read mine properly.
Old 21st April 2016, 12:46   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

A short note on plain paper signed by the author is not an affidavit.

An affidavit must be witnessed and signed by a notary public (I think that is what they called in India, in UK they are commissionaires for oaths; America... don't know).

I guess it should be on stamp paper, but only Rs.10.

This is what makes it an affivatit. not just a letter. it carries the same weight as a sworn statement made in court.
Old 21st April 2016, 14:13   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
A short note on plain paper signed by the author is not an affidavit.
Yep, it's actually a declaration.
Old 22nd April 2016, 15:40   #58
Team-BHP Support

Ok, completed the OCI submission successfully today.

Documents I submitted are as follows:

1) Two sets of applications (2 sheets only), where the online photo and the photo on the application must be same. They required two sets, and I had been forewarned to carry it thanks to this thread.

2) PIO, Current foreign passport, old foreign passport used for getting PIO, passport of both parents, birth certificate, latest BSNL bill & rental agreement. Submit one copy, present the original for verification.

3) Only for the BSNL bill they wanted extra copy. The BSNL bill is in my name, so I didn't need any letter from the owner. I think they only need one address proof, they showed no interest in checking the lease document.

No affidavit was asked. The minor problem I faced was that the PIO only had my middle initial, without the expansion as in my latest passport. So they wanted to see my old passport which I hadn't carried. I got my wife to whatsapp me the image of the old passport from home, which did have the expanded name. They said PIO should have contained the expanded form. But it was the Indian consulate in NY who decided to shortened it to the initial, instead of using my full middle name. Once they realised it not really my fault, they said it is fine.

Already received the email saying the OCI process is motion.
Old 22nd April 2016, 22:16   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Already received the email saying the OCI process is motion.
Glad you got yours through!

They do have a photocopy machine inside which the officers (hidden from view) keep using for all sorts of mundane stuff. I met some of them earlier because my son overstayed his X-visa as I didn't want to travel to New Delhi. I am sure they will use it to make a second copy in my case so that they can keep one for their records in Bangalore and send the other to New Delhi.

I am also reasonably sure they will scan his photograph too if push comes to shove.

Actually I feel sad every time I go to FRRO. As you may have surmised, I am an Indian national (I never changed nationality despite being proffered twice in two different countries), but when I am sitting there with Africans and even Americans and EU citizens who get treated like dirt, my heart just bleeds out for them. Every time I look around like I did this time and saw how the Iranian couple sitting next to me was so afraid, so petrified that the woman didn't even want to meet the officer, I just felt so disconsolate.
Old 22nd April 2016, 22:31   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Actually I feel sad every time I go to FRRO. As you may have surmised, I am an Indian national (I never changed nationality despite being proffered twice in two different countries), but when I am sitting there with Africans and even Americans and EU citizens who get treated like dirt, my heart just bleeds out for them...
Just for the record, I've never been treated badly by Chennai FRRO. I've had to negotiate the occasional bureaucratic roadblock, but at least they were polite about it.

However, it is wise to remember, as I told my wife last time we went there, "These people have the power to put me on a plane out of here." But, you know, immigration officials, anywhere: I wouldn't like to have to deal with the British immigration mob as a non-Brit. Especially if they come calling at 4.00am

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks