Team-BHP - "Help about my Internet Connection"
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   "Help about my Internet Connection" (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/16257-help-about-my-internet-connection.html)

Hi guys,
I've a net connection in my comp.The problem is i dont want my bro to use the net connection as he downloads useless stuff,virus etc:mad:
So I need to know how to block the access of net to my Bro.Please help me ASAP.....please:

it just depends on too many things.. like
what OS?
what type of connection?
how is it connected to the comp? (LAN card or USB ADSL or something else)
does your brother use a different user account? (otherwise how will the computer know who's using it when)

BTW search around the web you would find a lot of softwares to do just this.

If I was to do it my way.. i'll put on zone alarm (my firewall) in internet lock mode whenever i leave the computer.

If your are using any recent version of windows, make a restricted user account for your borther, disable dialup or networking for that account and password protect your account. That shoul do it ....

i know it is absurd to suggest a thing like this but still..........
what abt a password change?!:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by shiva_cool87
Hi guys,
I've a net connection in my comp.The problem is i dont want my bro to use the net connection as he downloads useless stuff,virus etc
So I need to know how to block the access of net to my Bro.Please help me ASAP.....

Hi Shiva,

I think you should buy yourself CyberPatrol. You can give access to your brother, but limited access - or even lock everything down. I think it is your SAFEST bet.

Couple of ideas:
1. Give him a non-admin account, with dial-up [and related serial/usb port] disabled.

2. If you are using the lan port to connect to the internet [through your adsl modem], then disable the lan port for his account.

Well thnx a lot guys....Specs- Windows XP pro,its a broadband ADSL,my bro doesnt use another account.....

If your brother uses the same account, then there is not much you can do unless you dial into your BB connection from your PC.
So all you need ro do is, double click, and unlick the save password
so every time you dial in, you have to type password.

If you have a ADSL router which dials itself when switched on the stakes are upped. If your brother is not tech savvy, you can block him by disabling the ethernet adapter before you log off. You can go to "connection settings" you will see some ethernet adapter there. "right click" -> "disable.
But if your bro is tech savvy he will enable it again.

emm, and hope he isnt team-bhp savy and a tbhpian as he would be ready to make a solution thread for the ideas fellow TBHPians gave! :p

Yo tsk1979 u gotcha!!!! Thnx a lot mate.....i'll b doing this,hope my bro doesnt find out....

@jkdas-he is not a tbhpian!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979
If your brother is not tech savvy, you can block him by disabling the ethernet adapter before you log off. You can go to "connection settings" you will see some ethernet adapter there. "right click" -> "disable.
But if your bro is tech savvy he will enable it again.

Well, if you are really looking to BLOCK all Internet access, yes you can disable the ethernet adapter. To prevent him for enabling it, just password protect (don't share the pw with him) your windows login, then create another LIMITED user in XP/2000 (I am presuming this is your OS) - you can even assign him a password, but as he won't be the administrator, he won't be able to enable the ethernet adaptor once it is disabled.

This can be useful in my office as well!

Or there is a different way of stopping the connection..
Use proxy settings in IE options.. You just have to uncheck the proxy box when you want to use it.. i m sure he wont be able to get to that point.

hey pdev29....thnx!!!First i'm going to try wat tsk told , if my bro finds out then i'll use ur idea!!! neways keep the replies comin'

Quote:

Originally Posted by shiva_cool87
its a broadband ADSL.....

Hello..dont you have an account for this connection? with a password? Just change your ISP password...