Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2017, 12:02   #466
Senior - BHPian

Re: The fight for net neutrality is on! Time to reclaim the internet

TRAI has taken a bold steps towards ensuring Net Neutrality in India.

Quote:
Yesterday, TRAI recommended that internet service providers (including telecom operators) be restricted from engaging in any discriminatory treatment of content or entering into any agreement that has such effect. Discrimination, whether based on the sender or receiver of the content, the protocols used or the equipment being used to access the internet is prohibited. In addition, TRAI recommends specific rules against blocking, degrading, slowing down or granting preferential treatment to any content. It’s a recommendation, and not yet a rule, because it is to be implemented by amending the license agreements that govern all providers of internet access – which is under the remit of the Department of Telecom. But by providing the text of the rule, TRAI has paved the way for smooth passage of these amendments by government.
Net neutrality: TRAI has done well to recommend hard coding it in law
Old 29th November 2017, 12:28   #467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
I am simply amazed that the same advocates who rightly claim that government should not involve into people's private lives (like in the issue of homosexuality, or inter-religion marriages) , advocate on "Net-neutrality". Internet access is a private contract between two parties.
I am not against your opinion but feel there needs to be a more rationale thought process into this. Say a Tea estate owner(TEO) enters contract with an employee(TW-The Worker), TW will work in the plantation and TEO will provide all necessary things for his well being at his volition. Does it sound right? This is how slavery is born, monopolies are made and Dictators are created.
I always support individual informed decision making. But as long as the information to the majority stops with the number of signatures in the T&C forms, I do support Net neurtrality.
Old 29th November 2017, 16:45   #468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadya View Post
I am not against your opinion but feel there needs to be a more rationale thought process into this. Say a Tea estate owner(TEO) enters contract with an employee(TW-The Worker), TW will work in the plantation and TEO will provide all necessary things for his well being at his volition. Does it sound right? This is how slavery is born, monopolies are made and Dictators are created.
I always support individual informed decision making. But as long as the information to the majority stops with the number of signatures in the T&C forms, I do support Net neurtrality.
Exactly. That should be the role of the government - that disclosures are simpler to understand, that switching (portability) costs are not high even if consumers make a mistake, that consumers are not locked in to unfair plans, and competition is ensured.

The government should not just assume all consumers are dumb and limit the choice to the consumer.

As an aside, if an ISP gives me just free Netflix (and team-bhp, of course), wouldn't I just love that :-) ? Why should a government limit my choice?
Old 30th November 2017, 10:08   #469
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
As an aside, if an ISP gives me just free Netflix (and team-bhp, of course), wouldn't I just love that :-) ? Why should a government limit my choice?
Yes. That would be sweet. But the problem is calling it as free internet and back loading their content as the real content. Neutrality cannot be violated by the ISP(Gatekeepers should be neutral).Period.

It can be other way around. Netflix can offer you 1gb(just an imaginary number) download per day bundled with their subscription.
Old 30th November 2017, 11:14   #470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadya View Post
But the problem is calling it as free internet and back loading their content as the real content.
That's where the disclosures norms need to be strongly enforced by the government/regulator. ISPs should not be allowed to call it "Full" internet when they offer only limited internet.

ISPs who provide such limited service can even be renamed as LBSPs (Limited Broadband SPs) or some such nomenclature, just to reduce confusion to the consumers.

Just don't kill the choice to the customer.
Old 15th December 2017, 10:53   #471
BHPian

Major move by US. "US Junks Net Neutrality" How ridiculous is this?

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/as-u...-lateststories

Though India's TRAI only last month publicly declared it did not favour any discrimination on the internet, will it change it's stance.

Regards
Sandy
Old 15th December 2017, 11:11   #472
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaNdY_AR View Post
Major move by US. "US Junks Net Neutrality" How ridiculous is this?

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/as-u...-lateststories

Though India's TRAI only last month publicly declared it did not favour any discrimination on the internet, will it change it's stance.

Regards
Sandy
That is going to end up in court. New York Attorney General, Eric Schneidermann, has already said he'll sue, and he isn't alone. US has complicated Federal and State governance structures, so drawing policy parallels with India is difficult.

Given how the whole process (including public consultation) was handled, Schneidermann will have a good case to argue.

This isn't cut and dried, not by a long shot.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 15th December 2017 at 11:31.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks