Team-BHP - The "Theatre" Thread (No spoilers please)!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   The "Theatre" Thread (No spoilers please)! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/163558-theatre-thread-no-spoilers-please.html)

I love theatre, and am fortunate to live in Mumbai, which has a pretty vibrant theatre scene. We are also lucky to have a lot of options in terms of auditoriums, with the NCPA 1000 seaters at one end and cozy Prithvi at the other.

My love affair with theatre started not many years ago, and I have been fortunate to watch some really good plays. Naseeruddin Shah is my all-time favorite, and the second act of Motley's "The Caine Mutiny" is the best I have ever seen him on stage.

I recently watched Motley's "Einstein" and Rakesh Bedi's "Simla Coffee House". I had high hopes of the former, and was watching the latter on a lark. Not surprisingly, the former disappointed (weak story, not worthy of Naseer's talent) and the latter was a pleasant surprise (mediocre story, great performances, and a twist in the tale that would make Christopher Nolan proud).

I am watching "The God of Carnage" at NCPA on May 16. It has its own promo video on BookMyShow, so it is obvious that budget is not a constraint. The cast is competent, and the play itself is very famous. Hope I get my time and money's worth.

About this thread:

I searched everywhere on Shifting Gears, and couldn't find a discussion dedicated to theatre. Hence this thread.

The purpose of this thread is to give all theatre lovers a forum to share and learn. Any theatre lover will tell you that watching a play is half the fun. Discussing it (interpreting the plot, the motivation of the characters, the set, the music, etc.) is the other half. So what are you waiting for? Jump in!

If you get a chance, watch Arundhati Nag in Girish Karnad's 'Bikhre Bimb'. It's a one-character act, with Nag speaking to her own conscience (depicted as a speaking image on a TV screen). Given the intricacies of timing (due to the screen counterpart) and nearly ZERO scope for error or improvisation, it's a masterpiece. I've seen it multiple times in TWO languages, and it never ceases to amaze me.

Another one I absolutely loved is Rajat Kapoor's 'Nothing Like Lear', another one-character act. Both renditions (Atul Kumar's as well as Vinay Pathak's) are a treat to watch.

Roysten Abel's 'The Kitchen' is an experience like no other. No dialogues, just silent emotive acting with the backdrop of 12 Mizhavu drummers (a traditional Kerala performing art involving copper drums), and you get to eat the delicacy cooked during the play at the end.clap:

I really regret not making it to a performance of Tumhari Amrita in Farooque Sheikh's lifetime, somehow never got around to it. My wife never fails to remind me what I've missed, not that I need reminding. I've seen the Rajit Kapur/ Shernaz Patel version of the 1988 original 'Love Letters', directed by Rahul da Cunha. Absolutely fantastic.

There are many more I've watched and loved over the years. All in due time.

Great thread!:thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao (Post 3701761)
If you get a chance, watch Arundhati Nag in Girish Karnad's 'Bikhre Bimb'.

I loved the premise of that play, and was super excited to watch Shabana for the first time on stage. But what a disappointment! I got this feeling that she had not prepared for the part well, and expected us to be swayed by her credentials. It was a total letdown. I'd love to watch the Arundhati Nag version if it ever comes to Mumbai.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao (Post 3701761)
I really regret not making it to a performance of Tumhari Amrita in Farooque Sheikh's lifetime, somehow never got around to it.

Oh don't remind me. I had tickets to the last performance of Tumhari Amrita before Farooque passed away, and they cancelled it on account of his poor health. I don't remember being more disappointed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLizardKing (Post 3701749)
I searched everywhere on Shifting Gears, and couldn't find a discussion dedicated to theatre. Hence this thread.

Fantastic thread :thumbs up

I have been lucky enough to see Tumhari Amrita, and boy what an experience. It was the first play I watched, and a memorable experience.

I have seen a couple of plays by a group called Dramatech in Delhi. Loved each one of them but did not continue with the hobby after having a kid.

Someday when she is old enough to come with us, I will re-kindle the hobby :)

Hi All,

Reviving an old tread.
Do you guys know of any good play for this weekend in Mumbai? I'm open to comedy, satire & light hearted drama. Don't want something too political or the sorts.

Thanks in advance!

Watched Naseer Sahab perform 'The Father' last month at Ranga Shankara. Absolutely captivating, starts slowly and draws one in as it goes on, and leaves one overwhelmed at the end. Plenty of tears in the audience.

Top drawer stuff, and his troupe Motley is an exceptional set of actors.

Reviving an old thread.

I saw Mahabharata - The Epic Tale! in June first week. It is based on Duryodhana & Karna's viewpoint. Puneet Issar plays Duryodhana and directs the play as well. Gufi Paintal was supposed to play Shakuni maama but he got sick a couple of days before the play and subsequently passed away. Krishna was played by Puneet's son Ishant.

WHAT A PERFORMANCE by all the actors involved (except Bheem) !!! For anyone who has seen The Mahabharata on Doordarshan, it was a lovely recap. Personally it was a surreal experice for me.

The dialogues are top class, and Duryodhana's speech right after the Draupadi Gambling game and at the end of the war will remain with me for a long long time.

PS: The dialogues are in pure Hindi, so children and non-native speakers may not enjoy to the fullest. My 12 year old loved the play (it was her first), although I had to explain some of the dialogues in English.

The next one is in Mumbai, I think.

https://in.bookmyshow.com/plays/maha...ale/ET00360888