Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you think what the passengers did was right?
Yes, it was in their own interest to safegaurd their safety. 17 43.59%
No, A person cannot be thought to be a terrorist because of the colour of his skin. 20 51.28%
I dont care!!! 2 5.13%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2006, 10:35   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
I don't think we can limit racism to any race. Have you checked out the adverts in the matrimonials. How many start with or include the words "fair", "wheatish" etc...We are one of a very few (if not the only) countries that has reservations not based on economic status but based purely on race.
Agreed. All those who want brides with fair or wheatish complexion should be put on the next BA flight to Heathrow or the N/W to NY so that they get a taste of their own medicine.
Old 25th August 2006, 10:52   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k
reminds me of chennai. many prorpective landlords asked me casually (over the phone) if i was a brahmin. I never heard from them again.
Ok, I am not trying to justify this, the intended question is, are you a veg or non veg.

I was in goa over the long week end. There was a caucasian fat lady with a african guy on kinetic honda have stopped below a bus stop shade because of rain. Just then 2 guys passed by... and lewd way they behaved at that couple was disgusting. Some times I wonder that if we Indians are the most racist in the world.
Old 25th August 2006, 10:54   #18
Team-BHP Support

Though it is an issue of racism, this whole terrorism thing has created the biggest terrorists, our govts. They try to terrorize citizens in name of terrorism.
Take a recent case of call center data theft. Officials have gone on record saying this could be a terrorist conspiracy. So what now, terrorists selling personal loans?
Old 25th August 2006, 11:11   #19
BHPian

Be a Roman .. when u are in Rome..

This is what was taught to me !! First of all why should those two passengers dress up in a heavy clothing and wear a frightful look! I think the passengers did the right thing .. of being cautious..

its important to look appealing in public places and be a part of the crowd too.. not to look surprising
Old 25th August 2006, 11:15   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by four_tire

This is what was taught to me !! First of all why should those two passengers dress up in a heavy clothing and wear a frightful look! I think the passengers did the right thing .. of being cautious..

its important to look appealing in public places and be a part of the crowd too.. not to look surprising
So next time if some passengers feel a turban is frightning, all sikhs should be arrested?
Or if they find that going to temple is frightning, all temple goers should have to register themseleves at the nearest police station?
Or next time somebody talks in his/her mother tongue they should be arrested?
Old 25th August 2006, 11:23   #21
BANNED

Quote:
So next time if some passengers feel a turban is frightning, all sikhs should be arrested?
Or if they find that going to temple is frightning, all temple goers should have to register themseleves at the nearest police station?
Or next time somebody talks in his/her mother tongue they should be arrested?
DAMN STRAIGHT! I know the world is turning into a so called global village but does that mean we all have to conform to a set of standard rules and regulations...and anyone that does not conform to these said rules and regulations is to be treated as a terrorist?
What a bunch of BALONEY!
Old 25th August 2006, 11:31   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by four_tire

Does this mean that we're strangers in our own country, looking at how the western tourists dress while in our land? Why is it that rules for conformation to local customs dont apply to them? Can I call a shabby, rainbow-mohican-haired, pierced and tatooed tourist a terrorist simply because he doesnt look like the rest of us here? His english would sound like a strange language to us anyway....reason enough to keep him in detention for a couple of days.

Henceforth, any tourist in Kerala that doesnt walk around bare-chested in a white dhoti (lungi permitted in certain cases, the criteria for which will remain secret) shall be labelled a terrorist and not a tourist.

Last edited by Steeroid : 25th August 2006 at 11:36.
Old 25th August 2006, 11:37   #23
BHPian

I made a trip to UK in last two weeks and believe I am qualified to comment on this topic.
I flew out of Kolkata on 10th (the very day all these started at Heathrow) without knowing anything about the incident. I was flying Air India, the flight was on schedule and I didn't spend more than half a minute at the immigration desk (I hold an Indian passport). Even while coming back via Heathrow, though the security check was strict, queues were longer but I never felt any discrimination.
BTW, about my complexion, even my mom in her very best mood can't claim me as fair.
Maybe I was lucky, maybe beacuse I was flying Air India things might have been different, but this is what I experienced.
Old 25th August 2006, 12:09   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDoo
I made a trip to UK in last two weeks and believe I am qualified to comment on this topic.
I flew out of Kolkata on 10th (the very day all these started at Heathrow) without knowing anything about the incident. I was flying Air India, the flight was on schedule and I didn't spend more than half a minute at the immigration desk (I hold an Indian passport). Even while coming back via Heathrow, though the security check was strict, queues were longer but I never felt any discrimination.
BTW, about my complexion, even my mom in her very best mood can't claim me as fair.
Maybe I was lucky, maybe beacuse I was flying Air India things might have been different, but this is what I experienced.
You were plain lucky.
While on a dometic flight while going through the metal detector, due to the belt I was wearing and had forgotten to take off, it beeped. They asked me to take it off. After that there was no beep. I took my luggage. Good for me, right? Well behind me was a guy with a big beard, and definately looked arabic/indian. I am sure there was no beep. But still he was asked to step aside and they performed a body search. He kept quiet and let them have their way. This was a clear case of racial profiling. I am not dark skinned and bordering on the fair side, with no beard, so probably all I had to do is remove my belt.
I flew some 6 times on domestic travel in the US within california, which is considered one of the most anti-racism states, but still such incidents happen.
Also if you are not aware, air marshals etc., are denied promotion if they dont single out "a set number of cases" for monitoring. So if they dont find actual suspicious characters, they "randomly" single out passengers and put them on "watch list" which means wherever you go you will be singled out.
There is a lot more than what meets the eye. Terrorism is a threat but the kind of monster it is being made into is by the govt's. It has provided a golden oppurtunity to the authorities to exert more control over people and slowly make a mockery of democracy.
Old 25th August 2006, 12:11   #25
BHPian

Ofcourse what happened with those 2 on the flight was unfair. BUT, the airline has the biggest part to play. If co-passengers suspect something they have a RIGHT to bring it to the attention of the crew and the airline crew an OBLIGATION to consider it [especially these days]. But not allowing those 2 to board the flight, unnecessary security sweep of the aircraft is just a bloody gimmick to ensure the majority [suspicious , racist co-passengers] does not get upset, after all they contribute to revenues.

The airline should have noted their suspicion and reacted in a more professional manner. Spoken to the suspected in question and gone by their judgement whether a more secure thorough check is required and IF detainment is required. This all has a economic roots - majority unhappy -> bad word-of-mouth -> bad business.

And about racism - lets face it -each one out there is racist, only the intensity varies. In my experience Europeans vary from extremely friendly to outright racist. I cant classify them as one bunch and I dont think we should attempt to do the same.

Lets be bigger than that and rise above it.
Old 25th August 2006, 12:16   #26
Team-BHP Support

BTW the FBI is offcially against racial profiling for reasons

1. It will "convince" terrorists to "hire" people who dont fit "the Profile"
2. By searching all passengers it sends a message to the terrorists that if the FBI is willing to search old people, children, nuns etc they wont be spared
3. They dont need lawsutis.
Old 25th August 2006, 12:31   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
BTW the FBI is offcially against racial profiling for reasons

1. It will "convince" terrorists to "hire" people who dont fit "the Profile"
2. By searching all passengers it sends a message to the terrorists that if the FBI is willing to search old people, children, nuns etc they wont be spared
3. They dont need lawsutis.
Officialy all politicians are there to serve the people
Old 25th August 2006, 12:31   #28
Team-BHP Support

Most Caucasians, Brits or otherwise, are racists. Remember the Americans? They were taking finger prints of all Brazilian travellers to the USA. As Indians, we definitely look at it as a racist activity. It's totally unfair to treat every brown skinned human differently from others.
Look at it from a Caucasian's angle, it seems justified. After all, majority of the terrorist activities around the world have been carried out by people of Asian and Libyan origin. Caucasians get scared of the slightest change in their environment and people's behaviour.
Still, some Caucasians are very, very nice people - much better than some freaky desis who think of themselves as firangis and act snobbish.
Old 25th August 2006, 12:36   #29
BHPian

Quote:

I don't think we can limit racism to any race. Have you checked out the adverts in the matrimonials. How many start with or include the words "fair", "wheatish" etc...We are one of a very few (if not the only) countries that has reservations not based on economic status but based purely on race.
I have a dark complexion. When I was in class III, one of the teachers called me "blackey" in class - and most of my classmates laughed. I was offended, but did not know how to react. Incidentally, the teacher (Yes, she had a very fair complexion) hailed from the Punjab - not that I have anything against Punjabis - I have a Punjabi wife, but, yes, over time I have come to know and realize in certain parts of our own country, the fairer color is preferred - the divide (racisim if you like) begins there - with a different color, a different attire, a different language, a different faith or belief - in stressful times like ours the perceptions go overboard.
Old 25th August 2006, 12:54   #30
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya
Most Caucasians, Brits or otherwise, are racists. Remember the Americans? They were taking finger prints of all Brazilian travellers to the USA.
Addy,
They still do it...
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks