Team-BHP > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: Should TV content be banned?
Yes. It's the right thing to do. 3 9.38%
No. We should have the right to choose. 27 84.38%
Don't care. Not a Idiot box fan. 2 6.25%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2006, 13:34   #1
Senior - BHPian

Banning TV Content: Justified?

The cable operators have blacked out most pay channels from the past three days, due to the police raid and the high court battle going on. Even the DTH and CAS systems haven't been spared.

The decision by the court to ban all "A" rated content/movies on all channels has taken up a lot of flak. Most are justifying it by stating that the kids' morality is at stake here, and hence it's a wise decision. Others say that adults should have the right to choose what content to watch and what not. The moral police have made their points clear earlier by banning Valentine's Days, asking the police to watch out for couples on beaches, etc.

India is becoming a very risky place to do business for the MNC's too, what with the Cola incidents and now this.

Isn't this supposed to be a free country? Shouldn't people have the right to decide concerning topics that affect the public in general?
Old 25th August 2006, 13:43   #2
BANNED

Gee.. you'd THINK India was a free country right??
WRONG... at least going by the present set of circumstances that have raised their ugly head's.
OK lets look at it this way.. and I do not mean this personally to anyone here or anywhere else.. but if you would like to watch any kind of movie with adult content in it within the confines of your own home... isn't it completely and utterly your choice.. or are we all at the mercy of the so called MORAL POLICE of this country who ..and I am quoting a Genesis song here .. 'DO AS I SAY, DON'T DO AS I DO'
Bunch of HYPOCRITES the bunch of em!!!
First it was valentines day.. not to say that I was a big fan of it but whatever.. its a persons choice if he wants to act more goofy than usual for one day of the year... then its the TV Channel's that supposedly stream smut into your home... whats next..
Old 25th August 2006, 13:47   #3
Team-BHP Support

Front page: "A" movies banned as they corrupt the youth
Page 6: 72 year old man marries 13 year old child. No action taken.

Where are our priorities?
Old 25th August 2006, 13:49   #4
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
Front page: "A" movies banned as they corrupt the youth
Page 6: 72 year old man marries 13 year old child. No action taken.

Where are our priorities?
MESSED UP AND FAR FROM HOME THATS FOR SURE!!!
Old 25th August 2006, 13:53   #5
Team-BHP Support

This ban is really ironical and sad.
It also gives the govt a lot of control over the populace. If somebody makes a documentry of politician-criminal nexus, with lots of sensitive content, it will definately get an A certificate as showing high officials going for prostitution etc., is not really universal content. By this law such exposes will be banned from Tv. Any movie etc., which govt does not like can be given A certificate and the content can never be shown on TV.

What people watch should be in people's hands, not in a bunch of buffoons who could not do anything for the country in 50 years
Old 25th August 2006, 14:14   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
By this law such exposes will be banned from Tv. Any movie etc., which govt does not like can be given A certificate and the content can never be shown on TV.
Exactly...!! We can expect all those hidden-camera thingy expose's to be waived off the air. After all, how difficult is it to get an "A" certificate? The damn RGV movie Sarkar got one, even though there ain't no profanities or nudity.

Hypocracy, yes. Do you think ANY ONE of the so-called moral police "members" haven't done any, ahem, wrongs?

Rtech's signature says it all.....
Old 25th August 2006, 14:26   #7
BANNED

Man I had this Pratibha chick as a lecturer in college. We were her first batch I think.

I thought I was rid of this pain once I gave up Pol Science, but looks like she's back to torment the entire country this time!
Old 25th August 2006, 14:28   #8
BHPian

The decision is stupid no doubt....but there needs to be some kind of control on what is being aired on what channel and at what time of the day!
You watch Channel V or MTV or one of those re-mix video's it is quite difficult to have kids watching it. Maybe it is time we have channels which can air such programs and can be subscribed. It is also easy for parents to control what kids see! If you ban something it only makes people access stuff from illegal ways... time for people to use technology wisely!
Old 25th August 2006, 14:39   #9
rks
BANNED

Banning TV content is totally absurd. Any kid can walk into an internet cafe and see just about whatever (s)he wants -- so what is the point? But maybe I spoke too early -- the judges might target internet cafes next, if they haven't already done so. It seems there are a lot of people in our country who have nothing better to do than raise silly issues and make life miserable for everybody. These hypocrites should be firmly put in their places. At best there could be some restrictions on what can be shown at prime time. Aren't our courts already flooded with a huge backlog of cases? Then why are our judges taking a proactive role in this silly matter which only curbs the freedom and rights of the people? The only result that their misplaced zeal achieves is to give the impression to the rest of the world that we are not a mature nation and preoccupy oursevles with silly issues at the expense of the genuine ones.
Old 25th August 2006, 15:03   #10
BANNED

How about a ban for people like this "chick" as Boom Shiva put it... lol... if she's a chick.. Im OFF CHICKEN!!
Old 25th August 2006, 15:58   #11
Senior - BHPian

Why arent the Police showing this swiftness in arresting atleast 1 of the terrorists ? They are banning TV content ...

The London Police have already caught , charged and started the case against the terrorists who had planned the blasts which didnt happen ..and the cops in Mumbai still dont know who , what , when , where ?
Old 25th August 2006, 16:05   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy
Why arent the Police showing this swiftness in arresting atleast 1 of the terrorists ? They are banning TV content ...

The London Police have already caught , charged and started the case against the terrorists who had planned the blasts which didnt happen ..and the cops in Mumbai still dont know who , what , when , where ?
Dude, a Lashkar-e-Toiba guy, caught in J&K has said that 17 fellows carried out the 7/11 Mumbai Blasts. Out of these, 16 have safely left Mumbai (or possibly even India). The last terrorist probably died in one of the blasts.

Anyway, coming back to the original topic, in a democratic country, the people should have the right to choose. Banning TV Channels is not what the police / government should be doing. IMHO, the so called "Moral Police" have no place in our society.
Old 25th August 2006, 16:12   #13
Senior - BHPian

Thats what they have been telling us. I dont trust the cops , maybe a cover up for their failure.
Old 25th August 2006, 17:11   #14
Senior - BHPian

All the energy put into the wrong causes....why can't Shiv Sainiks provide food and lodging for the poor instead of starting hartals for statues? Same case with govt. here. The MNC's are rich, so certain people are playing games to extort in different forms. That's it. Next month, we'll learn that "protection" manufacturers are charged with obscenity, not help prevent AIDS.

When will people learn to look at the bigger picture.....
Old 25th August 2006, 18:15   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks
Banning TV content is totally absurd. Any kid can walk into an internet cafe and see just about whatever (s)he wants -- so what is the point? But maybe I spoke too early -- the judges might target internet cafes next, if they haven't already done so.
rks it isnt easy now to just walk into a cafe and see whatever he or she wants. The cops have already cracked down on unlicenced cyber cafes here in Thane and in Mumbai.Check out the pic below and you will know why its not easy to see what you want in a cafe leave alone see you have to have some sort of photo identification to be able to sit in a cafe.

Cheers Ed...

Most Viewed