Views: 952
Size:  27.4 KB

1. Jaguar XK140
2. Mercedes Benz SLR
3. Porsche Carrera GT
4. Mercedes Benz 500k
5. Audi R8
6. BMW M5

I got the Jaguar from Toronto and the rest at Shoppers Stop in Andheri.

Like the rest of my collection these are all 1:18s.

Im facing a big problem with space. All my models are sitting in what used to be a bookcase and you cant really see them that well. Shoppers Stop had a really nice display case given to them by Maisto. I looked through the Yellow Pages to find somethign similar and came across an ad that had a pretty decent looking display case that is made of aluminium. I'll be calling them in a while once their shop opens.

Name:  show1.gif
Views: 860
Size:  23.1 KB

How do you'll display your models? Ideally Id like to have them out in the open on shelves but with the dust and fear of kids coming over and thinkign they are toys, Id rather have somethign that I can lock.
Old 26th May 2008, 08:46   #2507

Quote:
Originally Posted by diecastfreak View Post
Neil can you let us know about the custom duties and hassles when you order from Kevin, what method you use, etc? It would be really helpful.
Customs duties are charged on the CIF value i.e. cost of the model + freight upto Bangalore airport. Customs duties are calculated as follows:

CIF x prevailing exchange rate = assessable value in Rupees
Add:
1% Landing Charges
7.5% Basic Import Duty
14% CENVAT
2% Education Cess on CENVAT
1% Sec. & Higher Education Cess on CENVAT
2% Customs Education Cess (CEC)*
1% Sec. & Higher Education Cess*
4% Additional Duty (Imports)

* Calculated on the sum of 7.5% Basic Import Duty + 14% CENVAT + 2% Educ. Cess on CENVAT + 1% Sec. & Higher Educ. Cess on CENVAT

Add to this your clearing charges at the airport and transportation upto your location. For small consignments it would be worthwhile to have a reputed courier deliver it to you directly. For consignments weighing over 100 kgs. using your own forwarder to bring the models through air consolidation is economical.
Old 26th May 2008, 08:48   #2508

Quote:
Originally Posted by diecastfreak View Post
Neil can you let us know about the custom duties and hassles when you order from Kevin, what method you use, etc? It would be really helpful.

Sorry forgot to mention earlier - you need to have an import licence issued by the office of the Director General of Foreign Trade, to be eligible to import any items into the country on your own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
Just added 6 new models to my collection

Attachment 17141

1. Jaguar XK140
2. Mercedes Benz SLR
3. Porsche Carrera GT
4. Mercedes Benz 500k
5. Audi R8
6. BMW M5

I got the Jaguar from Toronto and the rest at Shoppers Stop in Andheri.

Like the rest of my collection these are all 1:18s.

Im facing a big problem with space. All my models are sitting in what used to be a bookcase and you cant really see them that well. Shoppers Stop had a really nice display case given to them by Maisto. I looked through the Yellow Pages to find somethign similar and came across an ad that had a pretty decent looking display case that is made of aluminium. I'll be calling them in a while once their shop opens.

Attachment 17142

How do you'll display your models? Ideally Id like to have them out in the open on shelves but with the dust and fear of kids coming over and thinkign they are toys, Id rather have somethign that I can lock.
I would suggest you display your models in as air-tight a case as possible. Be careful of 'diecast rot' - really the fault of the manufacturers who either buy sub-standard diecast material or do not dry out or treat the diecast model sufficiently with primer before putting on the final layer of paint. If such models are exposed to the slightest moisture (which happens when the temperature drops by more than 3 degrees in a single day), the paintwork starts getting a rough look, which goes on to getting blistered. What is more, such models tend to just come apart at the seams - try to open a door or trunk/hood and the part may just come away in your hand.

Put in some silica gel in a separate container with each model to absorb the moisture that will invariably form in your display area. Silica gel is hygroscopic in nature and generally blue when dry. Once it has absorbed the moisture, it turns white. What you got to do then is expose it to heat (not an open flame) and it will turn blue again. Replace it in your display.

If you have a showcase, tape the open spaces with clear cello-tape to keep as much moisture away. Transparent cello-tape does not hinder visibility.

Last edited by Technocrat : 27th May 2008 at 11:55. Reason: Please use Multi Quote option
Old 26th May 2008, 11:51   #2509
BHPian

Where in Delhi can I get the Autoart 1:18 scale models?
Old 26th May 2008, 12:40   #2510
BHPian

i have a similar question...

we had MODEL ART in the Inorbit Mall in Mumbai
now since its closed down, does any one know where they have moved to or is there any such shop anywhere else

Old 26th May 2008, 12:43   #2511
BHPian

Hey S2..have you painted the rims on your mustang and f50 using a permanent marker?

The best place to buy Aa's in delhi is modelart in select city walk mall..Their collection is pretty impressive.

Last edited by Technocrat : 26th May 2008 at 15:32.
Old 26th May 2008, 15:22   #2512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak01 View Post
The best place to buy Aa's in delhi is modelart in select city walk mall..Their collection is pretty impressive.
And I never knew about it ! Thanks a ton dude !

Last edited by scorp 1 : 26th May 2008 at 15:30.
Old 26th May 2008, 17:03   #2513
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltopaz View Post
I would suggest you display your models in as air-tight a case as possible. Be careful of 'diecast rot' - really the fault of the manufacturers who either buy sub-standard diecast material or do not dry out or treat the diecast model sufficiently with primer before putting on the final layer of paint. If such models are exposed to the slightest moisture (which happens when the temperature drops by more than 3 degrees in a single day), the paintwork starts getting a rough look, which goes on to getting blistered. What is more, such models tend to just come apart at the seams - try to open a door or trunk/hood and the part may just come away in your hand.

Put in some silica gel in a separate container with each model to absorb the moisture that will invariably form in your display area. Silica gel is hygroscopic in nature and generally blue when dry. Once it has absorbed the moisture, it turns white. What you got to do then is expose it to heat (not an open flame) and it will turn blue again. Replace it in your display.

If you have a showcase, tape the open spaces with clear cello-tape to keep as much moisture away. Transparent cello-tape does not hinder visibility.
Thanks for the tips, Iv already used MIN cream on my models which I believe should also give some moisture protection. Any idea where I can get silica gel?

I called a couple of places and they said that a case 6 feet in feight and 18 inches in breadth and 18 inches in width would be around 9k. Im feelign a little kanjoos at the moment and so I guess ill just stick them in my cupboard for now.

Last edited by khanak : 26th May 2008 at 17:04.
Old 26th May 2008, 17:24   #2514

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
Thanks for the tips, Iv already used MIN cream on my models which I believe should also give some moisture protection. Any idea where I can get silica gel?

I called a couple of places and they said that a case 6 feet in feight and 18 inches in breadth and 18 inches in width would be around 9k. Im feelign a little kanjoos at the moment and so I guess ill just stick them in my cupboard for now.
As you know I'm in Mysore, Karnataka, South India. I had to hunt around a lot and finally got silica gel in a small lane in the city area. You should get this material (generally by the kilogram) in electrical stores/hardware stores. Buying it by the kilogram will be cheaper than buying pre-packed material.
Old 26th May 2008, 20:44   #2515

Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltopaz View Post
Customs duties are charged on the CIF value i.e. cost of the model + freight upto Bangalore airport. Customs duties are calculated as follows:

CIF x prevailing exchange rate = assessable value in Rupees
Add:
1% Landing Charges
7.5% Basic Import Duty
14% CENVAT
2% Education Cess on CENVAT
1% Sec. & Higher Education Cess on CENVAT
2% Customs Education Cess (CEC)*
1% Sec. & Higher Education Cess*
4% Additional Duty (Imports)

* Calculated on the sum of 7.5% Basic Import Duty + 14% CENVAT + 2% Educ. Cess on CENVAT + 1% Sec. & Higher Educ. Cess on CENVAT

Add to this your clearing charges at the airport and transportation upto your location. For small consignments it would be worthwhile to have a reputed courier deliver it to you directly. For consignments weighing over 100 kgs. using your own forwarder to bring the models through air consolidation is economical.
Thanks for the info Neil. Much appreciated. For a few models its better to choose a courier, but it almosts doubles the prices per model upto the door!
Old 26th May 2008, 23:15   #2516
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak01 View Post
Hey S2..have you painted the rims on your mustang and f50 using a permanent marker?

yup. that's right!. the chrome rims looked too loud on the GT500 and i didn't like how it looked so just used a permanent marker to modify it a bit. if you actually watch closer i have smoked the lights also of the GT500 as well as the rear lamps of the EVO. i think it looks pretty cool that way.
Old 27th May 2008, 00:08   #2517
F50
Senior - BHPian

Alright after quite sometime I have added something to my small collection of 1:18s.
Its a Black Hummer H1 (4-door wagon)
Old 27th May 2008, 00:56   #2518
BHPian

Nice collections, I should tell my son to start preserve his toys (die cast) for tomorrow, well done....
Old 28th May 2008, 18:15   #2519
Senior - BHPian

The Scale Model Thread-cgt1.jpg

The Scale Model Thread-cgt2.jpg

The Scale Model Thread-cgt3.jpg

The Scale Model Thread-cgt4.jpg

The Scale Model Thread-cgt5.jpg
Old 28th May 2008, 23:44   #2520
Senior - BHPian

my 2005 HUMMER H2 SUT.
Attached Thumbnails
The Scale Model Thread-dsc00237.jpg