Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2011, 14:10   #10711
BHPian

Re: The Scale Model Thread

Manish, your idea of applying clear coat over the decals is a thoughtful one but what happens is, due to the clear coat's thickness, contours, feature lines are blunted and even an angular looking car (Stratos, Quattro, Integrale) assumes rounded proportions.

I have seen the cars you have ordered. Fantastic ones.

Just to inform you, the Sun Star Lancia Delta is available on Vicky.in website. He also has scale models from many manufacturers.

I am also working on my Lancia Fulvia and trying to add some details via pin-striping. I do not wish to take risk with such a beautiful model.
Old 8th September 2011, 12:23   #10712
BHPian

Guys..have anyone tried assembling the scale model from Revell? There is this Ferrari Italia (Revell 1/24 Ferrari 458 Italia Plastic Model Kit) and it looks amazing with all the engine/suspension components and stuff, had a look at the Instructions document from the site and it was astonishing. It's just the painting that scares me.
It's my first time and I am worried I will screw it up. But at the same time, I feel it would be really great if I actually assemble it rather than buy a ready made one. Any word of encouragement ?
Old 8th September 2011, 12:58   #10713
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh_aveo1.4 View Post
Guys..have anyone tried assembling the scale model from Revell? There is this Ferrari Italia (Revell 1/24 Ferrari 458 Italia Plastic Model Kit) and it looks amazing with all the engine/suspension components and stuff, had a look at the Instructions document from the site and it was astonishing. It's just the painting that scares me.
It's my first time and I am worried I will screw it up. But at the same time, I feel it would be really great if I actually assemble it rather than buy a ready made one. Any word of encouragement ?

1.) Kit Building : One word, Go for it.

2.) This particular Model: Research on better prices and other better kits before buying.

Once you have got it, let us know we will guide you. If you look at previous pages there are many members who are involved including myself in this activity.
Old 8th September 2011, 22:41   #10714
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
1.) Kit Building : One word, Go for it.

2.) This particular Model: Research on better prices and other better kits before buying.

Once you have got it, let us know we will guide you. If you look at previous pages there are many members who are involved including myself in this activity.
Thanks for the reply. So yup, I'm gonna go for it. But I did not understand your second reply. You mean to say there are better kits for the Italia (I am specifically looking for the Italia) than the one from Revell?
I was always keen on kit buidling but could never find anything serious in India (atleast in Southern part of India). Now I'm in US for a while and I did a search and understood that Revell is one of the very few top brands and is pretty good. The model by itself costs around $22 but I am not sure what the additional costs of paint and other stuff would be, like I said, I'm a newbie!
So if there is any other suggestions you would have, I am all ears. Many thanks for your feedback.
rosh_aveo1.4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2011, 13:42   #10715
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh_aveo1.4 View Post
So if there is any other suggestions you would have, I am all ears. Many thanks for your feedback.
Being in US is a plus. I will explain the second comment

Revell is a very good brand. However the detailing, accuracy might not be present in all the models. Fujimi and tamiya also make the kits.

You need to search online forum where they might have discussed on the best kit of Italia. Go for that.

While in us don't buy paints. Here paint can is available for 180 bucks (good for 2 cars), you will also require primer and clear ( agin @180 each). So paint supplies are available in India.

Now if you want to detail the engine, like add a more realism by way of seat belts, engine wiring and plumbing etc. You will not get any readymade stuff in India. Also if you want to add photo etch metal stuff to bring more realism, that too is not available in India. You need to look for these in US of A.

Detail master is one such company which makes a lot of detailing stuff. have a look at their website.

So Summing it up.

1.) Look for the best detailed release of the Italia and go for that.

2.) Don't buy paint stuff from abroad it is damn costly, India is a lot cheaper.

3.) Glue for putting togather the kit is also available @ 25 bucks locally

For standard build this is good to go.

4.) If you want to add more detail than buy those detailing stuff over there.
Old 9th September 2011, 20:24   #10716
BHPian

Quote:
Being in US is a plus. I will explain the second comment

Revell is a very good brand. However the detailing, accuracy might not be present in all the models. Fujimi and tamiya also make the kits.

You need to search online forum where they might have discussed on the best kit of Italia. Go for that.

While in us don't buy paints. Here paint can is available for 180 bucks (good for 2 cars), you will also require primer and clear ( agin @180 each). So paint supplies are available in India.

Now if you want to detail the engine, like add a more realism by way of seat belts, engine wiring and plumbing etc. You will not get any readymade stuff in India. Also if you want to add photo etch metal stuff to bring more realism, that too is not available in India. You need to look for these in US of A.

Detail master is one such company which makes a lot of detailing stuff. have a look at their website.

So Summing it up.

1.) Look for the best detailed release of the Italia and go for that.

2.) Don't buy paint stuff from abroad it is damn costly, India is a lot cheaper.

3.) Glue for putting togather the kit is also available @ 25 bucks locally

For standard build this is good to go.

4.) If you want to add more detail than buy those detailing stuff over there.
Hi. Hey, thanks for that info. I never thought of buying the paint/glue and other stuff in India. That does make more sense! And you saved me lots of money!
I did a search for Italia few weeks back and so far I could only find Revell providing the same in this detail. May do some more search. I guess I need to understand more on the detailing part. Let me do a google search and come up with it. Gonna keep a very close eye on this thread! You helped me finalize this, a million thanks!
Old 11th September 2011, 21:32   #10717
BHPian

Posting images of the two 1:18 scale Lamborghinis in my collection: the green one is a Lamborghini Murcielago by BBurago (Italy), my last Italian BBurago and the yellow one is a Miura by Welly, one of the forum favourates. One of the notable features of the Murcielago is the spring loaded doors that swing upwards and the metallic green colour that it wears. The disc brakes are devoid of callipers but this being a 2005 model, it is not that bad.

This model was bought when my collection lacked any direction and I used to get whatever I felt was good in the limited choice I had.

Watch out for some brilliant masterpieces from the mecca of automotive styling in my forthcoming posts...
Attached Thumbnails
The Scale Model Thread-1.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-2.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-3.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-4.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-5.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-6.jpg  

Old 13th September 2011, 00:34   #10718
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmarPaithankar View Post
Posting images of the two 1:18 scale Lamborghinis in my collection: the green one is a Lamborghini Murcielago by BBurago (Italy), my last Italian BBurago and the yellow one is a Miura by Welly, one of the forum favourates. One of the notable features of the Murcielago is the spring loaded doors that swing upwards and the metallic green colour that it wears. The disc brakes are devoid of callipers but this being a 2005 model, it is not that bad.

This model was bought when my collection lacked any direction and I used to get whatever I felt was good in the limited choice I had.

Watch out for some brilliant masterpieces from the mecca of automotive styling in my forthcoming posts...

I really need that Miura sv from welly. didnt find one in any shops or malls in delhi. so thinkin to order one online from HS18 or vicky. both of them have one but mostly out of stock!
Old 13th September 2011, 07:24   #10719
BHPian

diecast is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2011, 08:57   #10720
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rOaD AsSaSin!! View Post
I really need that Miura sv from welly. didnt find one in any shops or malls in delhi. so thinkin to order one online from HS18 or vicky. both of them have one but mostly out of stock!
You can check with www.dreamcarmodels.com. The last time I checked, they had that particular model in stock. By the way, I ordered a Hyundai i30 1:24 Welly model from their website even though it was mentioned 'Out of Stock' and it was delivered in just more than a week. So, you can really get it from them.

Did I see the new Mercedes-Benz CLS added to your impressive collection? Would you please let me know which make it is and where did you get it from? Its awesome and the Porsches are fantastic too!
arvi86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2011, 18:19   #10721
Senior - BHPian

Was in Nikko shop today (Singapore), to check on some thing exciting. Many exciting current generation stuff was there but damn expensive.

I was to settle for Guiloy 1:18 Delahaye 1937 (White or metallic red) or the Minichamps Opel Rekord both at 68 and 65 S$ it seemed a good buy. I disliked opel causeof paint issues and flawed stock. Pictures from the internet -

http://www.project118.com/gallery/118/De..._118.shtml
http://www.mdiecast.com/minichamps/1958-...reen-18007

I went in for the Delahaye as i had been looking for the same. The engine was nicely detailed but the chrome, paint and the hinjes/ joints quality put me off, infact paint peeled of while opening the boot. Reproduced wheels were like a plastic toy car. I still went for it.

I paid for it and then I saw this beauty sitting in the corner. 1:18 by Autoart, now flaws except of some dirt in the interior, immediately went for it. The model costed me 65 S$. roughfly 2400 Indian bucks . I rarely buy current generation cars, but then this was a killer, the color is Metallic dark blue which looks just awesome. The pictures have not come out well due to dim lighting in the room. Once back I will post some nice pictures.

The Scale Model Thread-front.jpg

The Scale Model Thread-rear.jpg

The Scale Model Thread-boot.jpg

The Scale Model Thread-interior1.jpg

The Scale Model Thread-interior2.jpg

The Scale Model Thread-engine-bay.jpg

Last edited by manishalive : 13th September 2011 at 18:27.
Old 13th September 2011, 22:30   #10722
BHPian

Fantastic Corvette Manish with anexcellent colour and decal combination. I have a similar one by Maisto; one of Maisto's very good models in 1:18 scale.

In my previous post, I spoke about masterpieces from the mecca of automotive styling which is Italy. In my subsequent posts, I will concentrate on this theme.

First in line is the Lancia Fulvia 1.6 Finalone by Auto Art in 1:18 scale. I have posted images of this car in my my previous posts but, this particular car's finish, proportions, colour, etc are so perfect that, even when some models are yet to be photographed, I again chose the Fulvia.

Considering that the Fulvia was a very successful rally car and I could not get a rally model, I am trying to enhance this model's looks.

While images of one iteration have already been posted (with the number 8), this time it is pin-stripes running along the bonnet and boot of the car.
Attached Thumbnails
The Scale Model Thread-img_1335.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-img_1336.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-img_1338.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-img_1339.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-img_1340.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-img_1341.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-img_1342.jpg  

The Scale Model Thread-img_1344.jpg  

Old 14th September 2011, 10:38   #10723
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Fantastic Corvette Manish with anexcellent colour and decal combination. I have a similar one by Maisto; one of Maisto's very good models in 1:18 scale.

In my previous post, I spoke about masterpieces from the mecca of automotive styling which is Italy. In my subsequent posts, I will concentrate on this theme.

First in line is the Lancia Fulvia 1.6 Finalone by Auto Art in 1:18 scale. I have posted images of this car in my my previous posts but, this particular car's finish, proportions, colour, etc are so perfect that, even when some models are yet to be photographed, I again chose the Fulvia.

Considering that the Fulvia was a very successful rally car and I could not get a rally model, I am trying to enhance this model's looks.

While images of one iteration have already been posted (with the number 8), this time it is pin-stripes running along the bonnet and boot of the car.
Amar thanks for the apreciation. And your Fulvia is damn awesome. I have the same in 1:24 scale .

As for the rally conversion, there are a lot of ready made decals available online
you may get one of your liking, the price is 5-6 $ in general and shipping will be damn cheap.

here is what google search revealed

1 18 decals | eBay.

http://www.mikesdecals.com/index.php?cPath=8_42

I have spare decals but for a hot rod and in 1:24 scale :(

Looking forward to more of your Italian collection or European collection.

Last edited by manishalive : 14th September 2011 at 10:39.
manishalive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2011, 11:23   #10724
BHPian

Thank you Manish for the links. I was completely unaware that decals are available separately.

Form dictates Function as far as Italian cars are concerned but many of them are engineering breakthroughs (and some even rally legends)

Quote:
Amar thanks for the apreciation. And your Fulvia is damn awesome. I have the same in 1:24 scale .

As for the rally conversion, there are a lot of ready made decals available online
you may get one of your liking, the price is 5-6 $ in general and shipping will be damn cheap.

here is what google search revealed

1 18 decals | eBay.

Mike's Decals

I have spare decals but for a hot rod and in 1:24 scale :(

Looking forward to more of your Italian collection or European collection.
Old 14th September 2011, 12:39   #10725
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Manish for the links. I was completely unaware that decals are available separately.

Form dictates Function as far as Italian cars are concerned but many of them are engineering breakthroughs (and some even rally legends)
Feels great to be of help to you. In another news, Just a small update, the consignment comprising of all my online purchase (the ones delivered in UK) is going to be delivered to my home in Bangalore today. I can't wait to return back to India. My wife is up for surprise .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks